Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
voxn_

cooltitle

hello good friends! massive chalice is looking amazing, and I'd like to contribute if I can! :D

I started messing with derek's brushes trying to figure out his rad style

HGfj9Cz.jpg

still needs work, but I just discovered the artstream videos which should help immensely!

but doodling turned into thinking about design:

Hiky6Zd.jpg

1FbCZXr.jpg

its really fun, and all the teamstreams etc are super inspiring! :D

edit; oops, the forum autoshrinks images. Made them link to fullsize if they're too tiny to read

Wow voxn! Super awesome!

I often wish I was this creative! :|

D

That's super awesome! Love the icons and how the boxes fit in the whole look of it.

The icons do look pretty sweet.

Smiles

Seems pretty spot on.

I heard he was revealing and maybe even uploading the brushes he used but I never found the information on it! Did you just have to remake them yourself or did you actually find it somewhere? I'm hoping to get ahold of it to try it out, myself.

WHOA looking super cool!!!

Spam that lasso tool and you're halfway there!

Here's how I do most of my stuff on MC:

I thought you were using a brush or certain technique for that since it seems so impractical to do with repeated lassoing - thank god you're way less lazy than I am. I can believe seeing the ant trails. There's probably moving images on your retinas visible in dark rooms when you look away after a while with that.

Seems pretty spot on.

I heard he was revealing and maybe even uploading the brushes he used but I never found the information on it! Did you just have to remake them yourself or did you actually find it somewhere? I'm hoping to get ahold of it to try it out, myself.

They're on the official blog, it has a DL link for it too!

tumblr_msbl4gDtvN1syjjzpo1_1280.jpg

Très awesome looking. Wish I were talented enough to know how the brushes work to make a distinct look, or just talented enough to use them.

So these are used for Photoshop yeah? I really wish I could get into this too.

DF - would it be a nice idea to have a quick overview from your art guys to show how they create their artwork? Kind of like a tutorial, but also so that we can see some delicious work in progress :)

DF - would it be a nice idea to have a quick overview from your art guys to show how they create their artwork? Kind of like a tutorial, but also so that we can see some delicious work in progress :)

You should check out the Archived Live Streams a while back ago -- you can see Derek doing some sweet early stage painting.

Smiles

Thanks for the link to the brushes! I'm surprised I hadn't found them earlier, but I'm glad I finally did. Too bad I won't have time to try them till the weekend, but I'll just prepare some of the art streams to see if I can find any tricks as to how to use them, other than massive amounts of lassoing.

You should check out the Archived Live Streams a while back ago -- you can see Derek doing some sweet early stage painting.

Smiles

Nice, any idea which one/s? Just to save me trawling! :D

oooooh thank you :D I'll try it out on a landscape tomorrow.

tonight was demon night! Not sure if the 4 archetypes idea has stuck around, but I based the skills on that. Tried to keep the skill amount low (and (passably) easy to script).

6vAj2RG.jpg

spike.gif, because my cyan triangle doesn't convey it very well, alas

aNlpWWQ.gif

is there a higher rez version of [this image] around? I love character sheets like this!

Really cool stuff Voxn!

Ah especially like the growth abilities graft and bud. Is the latter a Chrono Trigger reference?

That's really cool Voxn_! I like how mini corrosion and mini growth look like they're just hanging out together near the bottom (I get a funny King of the Hill cartoon vibe from it... yep).

I like your forget/memory skill a tonne! Wander makes sense and fits in with the forget/memory theme. It just shows up somewhere randomly, maybe even out of line of sight of the player (like the characters forgot that the enemy was there).

VOXN_ THIS IS SO GREAT!

I ACCIDENTALLY LEFT CAPS LOCK ON, BUT IT APPROPRIATELY CONVEYS MY EXCITEMENT SO I'M JUST GOING TO LEAVE IT ON FOR THIS POST! :D!

YOUR STYLE IS GREAT, AND I LOVE HOW YOU'RE LINKING DESIGN WITH ART - THIS IS THE EXACT PHASE THAT WE'RE IN RIGHT NOW AND IT'S VERY INSPIRING TO SEE YOUR IDEAS! SOME ARE VERY MUCH IN LINE WITH WHAT WE ARE THINKING FOR THE CLASSES/ENEMIES, BUT SOME ARE BRAND NEW! THEY'RE GREAT!

Smiles

Nice, any idea which one/s? Just to save me trawling! :D

I think if you look on the Twitch DF page, they might be called 'Art Streams' or something. They'll be some of the first videos related to Massive Chalice I think. It is super early concept painting, but you might get something out of it.

Smiles

Stevieboyswag ah reckon this's what Smiles was referring you to.

By now you're all probably seen the art direction video. If not, here it is.

That's really cool Voxn_! I like how mini corrosion and mini growth look like they're just hanging out together near the bottom (I get a funny King of the Hill cartoon vibe from it... yep).

Those drawings show how the graft ability works: a chlorophylled appendage is on ze rust monster ah tell you whut.

I hope that the forgetfulness demons include the ability to temporarilycause a player to lose access to some of their tactical abilities.

Hey, if anyone else thought of it they didn't post it. Really cool idea. Randomizing what ability is forgotten and not allowing characters who already have the "Forgetful" state to be targeted would make this a tense and balanced ability. Imagine seeing the forgetfulness demon's making your hero forget an ability and anxiously hoping it's not the one you were planning to use next turn.

BRAD, I'M GLAD YOU"RE EXCITED

Those comps are bad ass. Just wanted to include a note that says I hope that the forgetfulness demons include the ability to temporarily (or permanently?) cause a player to lose access to some of their tactical abilities. Seems like a no-brainer, I know.

Stevieboyswag ah reckon this's what Smiles was referring you to.
By now you're all probably seen the art direction video. If not, here it is.

Going back even earlier, I think even before the Kickstarter finished, you can get these:

http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/b/422222494

http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/b/420156228

http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/b/420076090

Where you get to watch Derek paint for a couple of hours, using photoshop, etc.

Smiles

Those comps are bad ass. Just wanted to include a note that says I hope that the forgetfulness demons include the ability to temporarily (or permanently?) cause a player to lose access to some of their tactical abilities. Seems like a no-brainer, I know.

This is happening! For starters we're thinking it will be 1 attack that has an escalating effect if you get blasted with it. So you'll temporarily forget an ability if you get hit once, permanently forget it if you get hit twice, and then forget your last name if you get hit three times!

ok probably not exactly that but something in the ballpark. :D

This is happening! For starters we're thinking it will be 1 attack that has an escalating effect if you get blasted with it. So you'll temporarily forget an ability if you get hit once, permanently forget it if you get hit twice, and then forget your last name if you get hit three times!

ok probably not exactly that but something in the ballpark. :D

Enemy induced amnesia game mechanic... that's something I'd like to read on the back of a game's box. Forgetting your family name, that's too real. O_O

Ooohhh super useful and cool to know! Thanks so much for posting brushes/information on how you do this stuff! It's always fascinating to see how people work.

Forgetfulness demons sound like the most terrifying thing ever!

FORGETTING YOUR FAMILY NAME?!?!?!

YYEEESSS!!!

terror missions in X-com were always scary because you could lose your best heroes. you were scard becuase losing a hero ment you might lose the game.

but forgetfulness demon sounds way scarier having a hero lose his family name? he can never have kids in his family keep?, never receive his family's relics? 10 generations of Muirs kicking ass and saving the kingdom only for the last son of house Muir to forget he is a muir?!??!?

DAM! i am Glad i backed this!

father.png

father.png.c4b6a2e43519440c835427604770c

Forgetfulness demons sound like the most terrifying thing ever!

FORGETTING YOUR FAMILY NAME?!?!?!

YYEEESSS!!!

terror missions in X-com were always scary because you could lose your best heroes. you were scard becuase losing a hero ment you might lose the game.

but forgetfulness demon sounds way scarier having a hero lose his family name? he can never have kids in his family keep?, never receive his family's relics? 10 generations of Muirs kicking ass and saving the kingdom only for the last son of house Muir to forget he is a muir?!??!?

DAM! i am Glad i backed this!

Dat artwork! Too REAL! oh man the fact that all the portraits have smiles on them but the people don't is just hilarious/heart breaking.

really looking forward to the teamstream tomorrow! :D In the meantime I tried a landscape with the lasso technique. It started based on Andy's refs of black volcanic sand (which are totally rad). I threw in some volcanic rocks and tidepooly things that'd act as LOS and non-LOS blockers.

plMZm3G.jpg

but as I colored it somehow ended up really different

okV8Yp0.jpg

Sign in to follow this