Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Idea Guy

[Suggestion] The Doctor (medical, not Timelord)

What are you to do when your 5 star builder Chad 1085692 finds out he's deathly allergic to Icky Pods? Leave him to die of anaphalactic shock?

NO!

Send him to your Med Bay to be treated by a Doctor!

Add new room Med Bay

-A room where you can place Medical Pods, Sick Beds, and where Doctors will work.

-Citizens with varying stellar illnesses will be treated with a much higher chance of survival.

-Fewer space diseases will befall your hopless cosmonauts with improved medical technology.

Add new roster duty Doctor

-Treats patients according to skill level.

-Unskilled doctors may administer incorrect medications, or send patients to the automated surgery capsule for excessive yawning.

Add a host of (fun?) space illnesses

-What happens when Security Officer Chogra-Ogra is bitten by that space bug?

-[insert Crew Member] "Died of Dysentary"

-Space Chicken Flu

-And many more horrible ways to watch your crew die!

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers.

What are you to do when your 5 star builder Chad 1085692 finds out he's deathly allergic to Icky Pods? Leave him to die of anaphalactic shock?

NO!

Send him to your Med Bay to be treated by a Doctor!

Add new room Med Bay

-A room where you can place Medical Pods, Sick Beds, and where Doctors will work.

-Citizens with varying stellar illnesses will be treated with a much higher chance of survival.

-Fewer space diseases will befall your hopless cosmonauts with improved medical technology.

Add new roster duty Doctor

-Treats patients according to skill level.

-Unskilled doctors may administer incorrect medications, or send patients to the automated surgery capsule for excessive yawning.

Add a host of (fun?) space illnesses

-What happens when Security Officer Chogra-Ogra is bitten by that space bug?

-[insert Crew Member] "Died of Dysentary"

-Space Chicken Flu

-And many more horrible ways to watch your crew die!

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers.

I hope they have space insurance, but doctors would be great, just to stop the space bugs from erupting from my crew members. But what about the space researchers looking for cures and cryo pods for people with space bugs without cures right now. Also what if the doctor never treated a non-human, where did the spleen like thingy go?

YES! And maybe some parasitic disease, that would turn your fellow citizens into horrible alien parasited(is this right?) zombie!

I hope they have space insurance, but doctors would be great, just to stop the space bugs from erupting from my crew members.

In the future everyone has UHC. :)

I hope they have space insurance, but doctors would be great, just to stop the space bugs from erupting from my crew members. But what about the space researchers looking for cures and cryo pods for people with space bugs without cures right now. Also what if the doctor never treated a non-human, where did the spleen like thingy go?

More depth for the win! I love the idea of putting crew you can't treat yet into stasis, bio-analysis machines to research a cure.

I think med-schools of tomorrow will likely include training on a variety of life forms, perhaps a small chance that the doctor isn't trained to operate on a certain race.

YES! And maybe some parasitic disease, that would turn your fellow citizens into horrible alien parasited(is this right?) zombie!

I love that! Some kind of brain slugs that make your crew attack eachother.

More depth for the win! I love the idea of putting crew you can't treat yet into stasis, bio-analysis machines to research a cure.

I think med-schools of tomorrow will likely include training on a variety of life forms, perhaps a small chance that the doctor isn't trained to operate on a certain race.

Yeah, it would be cool, but a bit OP...I mean, you could just put all of your citizens in these chambers and never play again...and...I think it would be cool to actually need to worry about putting like... 2/4 of your base in quarentine...

EDITED: And if you wanted to research a cure, you could send yours medics to enter in the quarentined place and they would go to somewhere like the airlock rooms to put a special suit.

And if you maintain the quarentine for too long or if some of your citizens are aggresive or even if they are zombies they could try to break out and escape, putting in risk your whole base.

Yeah, it would be cool, but a bit OP...I mean, you could just put all of your citizens in these chambers and never play again...and...I think it would be cool to actually need to worry about putting like... 2/4 of your base in quarentine...

EDITED: And if you wanted to research a cure, you could send yours medics to enter in the quarentined place and they would go to somewhere like the airlock rooms to put a special suit.

And if you maintain the quarentine for too long or if some of your citizens are aggresive or even if they are zombies they could try to break out and escape, putting in risk your whole base.

The stasis pods, if implemented, should be quite expensive to build, so you would only have 1 or 2 per base. Also, the concept of sealing off part of your base to prevent the spread of a contagion sounds great! You would have to determine the risk of loosing certain not-yet-infected members in the lockdown vs. possibly spreading the illness through the rest of the station.

EDIT: I agree with you completely my friend.

I hope they have space insurance, but doctors would be great, just to stop the space bugs from erupting from my crew members.
Or maybe they have a working medical system that don't need more than twice the expense for lower quality care. (I won't get more into the political side here, but the US healthcare system is terribly designed and the only two sides that benefit from that design are insurance companies and medical corporations.)

Eventually we'll probably want doctors, different Space Species of all kinds of things (inhabitants, parasites, food etc.) in this game. I remember the different kinds of diseases we got in the AF-12 prototype, the psychological effects and murder risk if people get unhinged, that is an aspect they still have to add back from the prototype.

Or maybe they have a working medical system that don't need more than twice the expense for lower quality care. (I won't get more into the political side here, but the US healthcare system is terribly designed and the only two sides that benefit from that design are insurance companies and medical corporations.)

Eventually we'll probably want doctors, different Space Species of all kinds of things (inhabitants, parasites, food etc.) in this game. I remember the different kinds of diseases we got in the AF-12 prototype, the psychological effects and murder risk if people get unhinged, that is an aspect they still have to add back from the prototype.

Unfortunately, I missed the prototype window, but that sounds fantastic.

And the Spacebase is communal, no insurance required, if you work, you get food, quarters, and care (if only that was realistic).

Why wouldn't that be realistic? Look at the European health care systems, health care is tax financed with a strict limit on how much a citizen may be required to pay for their care, and medical ethical principles say that one of the things we aren't allowed to take into consideration when prioritising patients is monetary situation or ability to pay for the care given. (Does my working in health care show in my argumentation here?) But I really don't think this political discussion belongs here so I'll shut up now.

Oh, you can still get the prototype by the way, if you're prepared to pay a little extra. Both from Intrepid Explorer option on http://spacebasedf9.com/buy and from http://www.doublefine.com/fortnight. If you already have Spacebase DF-9 and really want to try the prototype I suggest the latter, then you get the other prototypes too.

Unfortunately, I missed the prototype window, but that sounds fantastic.

And the Spacebase is communal, no insurance required, if you work, you get food, quarters, and care (if only that was realistic).

Are you saying I'm playing some sort of intergalactic Hippy simulator? Time to go back to playing Recettear.

CAPITALISM, HO!

It's only reasonable for the space base, at least in it's early stages, to be communal. Capitalism really doesn't work if there simply doesn't exist enough variety - if there is only one possible source for an item or service, then capitalism usually breaks down into a rather unhealthy system, because the service or item is usually provided on a ability-to-pay basis, not a need-to-have-it basis, which means absolute needs get squashed for wants-but-can-pay-more.

It's only reasonable for the space base, at least in it's early stages, to be communal. Capitalism really doesn't work if there simply doesn't exist enough variety - if there is only one possible source for an item or service, then capitalism usually breaks down into a rather unhealthy system, because the service or item is usually provided on a ability-to-pay basis, not a need-to-have-it basis, which means absolute needs get squashed for wants-but-can-pay-more.

I was joking (mah bad i should have pointed it out), but valid points.

Why wouldn't that be realistic? Look at the European health care systems, health care is tax financed with a strict limit on how much a citizen may be required to pay for their care, and medical ethical principles say that one of the things we aren't allowed to take into consideration when prioritising patients is monetary situation or ability to pay for the care given. (Does my working in health care show in my argumentation here?) But I really don't think this political discussion belongs here so I'll shut up now.

Oh, you can still get the prototype by the way, if you're prepared to pay a little extra. Both from Intrepid Explorer option on http://spacebasedf9.com/buy and from http://www.doublefine.com/fortnight. If you already have Spacebase DF-9 and really want to try the prototype I suggest the latter, then you get the other prototypes too.

I couldn't click buy fast enough, thanks mate!

If the game simulated capitalism, then the spacefolk would be determining what gets built and who does what job. That's the genius of a market-economy, decisions of what to make (and how much of it) are determined by how much social labor-time the population is willing to put forth for it ( in the form of currency).

What we currently have in this game is a pure command-economy where one central figure (the player) determines how to allocate labor.

Man, early diagnosis of those parasites that burst out of dudes would be rad.

Now you can, watch their space twitter feed, and they will say something like, "If something bursts from my chest, i called it.", they have a space worm.

Man, early diagnosis of those parasites that burst out of dudes would be rad.

Now you can, watch their space twitter feed, and they will say something like, "If something bursts from my chest, i called it.", they have a space worm.

Yeah, but our only tool for handling it is spacing them, we can't treat them medically to eliminate the parasite, or have it eliminated by surgery (which then require them to have a certain recovery period...).

Eh. It doesn't necessarily mean communism as most people see it. Most likely you would see some sort of hierarchy develop where people with the most skills or the most friends are most likely to get the best food, the best accommodations, and the best healthcare.

Which, actually might be kind of nice to actually add into the game. It really doesn't make much sense that Joe the useless immigrant would suddenly walk in and claim the awesome, decked out bedroom you just finished while your one 5-star technitian slips into depression and lets the base fall apart (and then he dies in a fire, causing his million friends to also become depressed).

I wasn't implying communism, just that resources in a resource starved situation are better utilised if they are not governed by a capitalistic system. If resources are communal, they are not necessarily used in a communistic system either. In a situation such as managing a space station with very small margins, you would most likely have an extremely pragmatic, utilitarian usage of those resources. And those resources would include crew and their time. For example, it's most likely that you want to keep a watch system like seafaring ships. If you're really starved for space and material for beds, then you can have bunks that are time-share, since people will have their watches, one bunk can very well cover three crew. Other resources are better handled through centralisation - it's efficient to keep meal times the same independent of watches, especially if you look back to old times sailing ships without the opportunities for sanitation, reheating or food preservation of today. The watches don't need to be equally saturated with people though, especially not as your crew size and vessel gets larger. Helm being an exception though, you always need somebody at the helm unless you are anchored. Some of these things wouldn't necessarily apply to a space base because of lack of or difference in outside factors such as day-night cycle maybe being missing or very different from earth.

Some things would differ immensely - on earth you need to take measures to keep warm in face of the environment. In space, the problem you have with heat is actually how to get rid of it. Heat can be transferred through three main means, the weakest being radiation, the stronger two being convection through gas or fluid movement and conduction to other solid items in contact with you. In space, there is no conduction because you are not in contact with any solid object. Convection can actually be divided into two factors, one of which is conduction into a fluid or gas, and advection, bulk movement of that fluid or gas. Since you're in a vacuum in space, you have very little of this happening, and what of it you have is usually vaporisation from you into space, which means that the advection will also be a mass loss, and you will be losing matter in the process. A good example is that the international space station uses faeces exposed to space as both a way to deal with the waste management, a way to deal with potential contamination in an enclosed space, and a way to deal with getting rid of heat buildup. The cost being of course that you lose water vapours and thereby are continually drying up, so you need to transport extra water there (compared to what you'd need for a similar setup down on earth surface) regularly to compensate.

This is getting pretty deep.

I had to double check which post of mine this was, I have another about roster duties and shifts here.

I'd love for this conversation to migrate over there, to keep related topics together.

Thanks for the input everyone!

We just need space doctors, maybe holographic doctors if we can afford those, but the citizens don't have a purpose yet, other then to build and set things on fire, at some point they need pay so they can have a reason to exist, just like I dungeon keeper, each beast costs gold every payday. If you want to have single payer, maybe healing would cost matter, but you would need to ration it in time of low resources.

We just need space doctors, maybe holographic doctors if we can afford those, but the citizens don't have a purpose yet, other then to build and set things on fire, at some point they need pay so they can have a reason to exist, just like I dungeon keeper, each beast costs gold every payday. If you want to have single payer, maybe healing would cost matter, but you would need to ration it in time of low resources.

Yeah! Actually, I think all unassigned citizens should produce matter, or something like that, symbolizing(did I write it right?) their payment to continue living in your base, as they don't work.

And...I think citizens should also leave your base if it is very fucked up, because it doesn't make sense someone living in a base without a good administration when they can just leave!

Yeah! Actually, I think all unassigned citizens should produce matter, or something like that, symbolizing(did I write it right?) their payment to continue living in your base, as they don't work.

And...I think citizens should also leave your base if it is very fucked up, because it doesn't make sense someone living in a base without a good administration when they can just leave!

Just hope they don't form a space union, but there need to be different levels of people on board, tourists, who you can't persuade to join, those looking for work, rebel scum, and others passing through to the next sector. So really we need to hire the people, assign them work, maybe they are skilled at mining, but they aspire to be a technician or bartender, so they will work well at their job,but have low moral until they switch.

And if they use the station while not crew, they should have to pay an air lock fee, pay for drinks and the bed.

If they want to join up, we hire them, give them a job, uniform and credits for food, maybe matter at higher levels or bonus incentivizes for working harder.

But we need space tourists to cycle more people make a little matter on the side and introduce more points of failure.

Just hope they don't form a space union, but there need to be different levels of people on board, tourists, who you can't persuade to join, those looking for work, rebel scum, and others passing through to the next sector. So really we need to hire the people, assign them work, maybe they are skilled at mining, but they aspire to be a technician or bartender, so they will work well at their job,but have low moral until they switch.

And if they use the station while not crew, they should have to pay an air lock fee, pay for drinks and the bed.

If they want to join up, we hire them, give them a job, uniform and credits for food, maybe matter at higher levels or bonus incentivizes for working harder.

But we need space tourists to cycle more people make a little matter on the side and introduce more points of failure.

Space tourists would open up a whole new avenue for illnesses to come aboard the base, or leave the base and spread through the far-reaches of the galaxy!

I think that would be very cool and would open space for the people just wanting to decorate their base. Like, you build statues and paintings that make tourists happy and they give a matter bonus!

I think we need a community contribution, for beautiful and unique diseases haha

I think we need a community contribution, for beautiful and unique diseases haha

I really need some double fine themed diseases, like brutal cough, roadie rash, psycho sneeze, mumbling rock condition, stacking condition, broken age condition and other character names in them.

Sign in to follow this