Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thestalkinghead

[suggestion] Planning tool

i think a planning tool would be very useful, because sometimes you want to plan out a large complicated design for your base but you don't have the resources or the spare time to put it down as a build order, this feature is very useful in Prison Architect and i think it would be useful in Spacebase DF-9 as well, it could basically be the same as the building tools except it wouldn't be an order to build and maybe it could be a different colour (white maybe) and it could either have a toggle to make it viewable or only be viewable once construction is selected.

And maybe click on it after getting the resources to build it?

or a convert to build selection tool, because you may want to build in sections, but going over it again with the build tool would be easy enough really

Oh man! That really should be applied, if not now, later, when the game is going to be more complex and we'll get more rooms!

This sounds awesome. If the number of minerals you needed to build a room or section were shown above said room, it could be like a mini goal to have/informative.

Yeah, this idea really gets a thumb up from me, I've frequently wanted to lay out a mining outpost near some juicy asteroids in one go and this sounds like the perfect way to do that.

Definitely, that way you can have an entire room planned and outfitted before construction begins, and you'll know exactly how much said room will cost before starting it.

I'd like to see this ghost build mode where you can blueprint everything as you want, and then use an "approve" tool to pay the matter cost and commence construction bit by bit.

It would help greatly when workers get bogged down in jobs if you can just cancel the approval while retaining the plans you'd created, and come back to them later.

Visibility toggles for blueprints and approved sections would likely be handy.

(A range of blueprint painting tools could be awesome here.. circle tools etc. for easy artistic layouts.)

Custom blueprint templates would be great too. Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance had a pretty neat implementation.

It would be fantastic for residential quarters, airlocks, life support and other repeating patterns.

I'd like to see this ghost build mode where you can blueprint everything as you want, and then use an "approve" tool to pay the matter cost and commence construction bit by bit.

It would help greatly when workers get bogged down in jobs if you can just cancel the approval while retaining the plans you'd created, and come back to them later.

Visibility toggles for blueprints and approved sections would likely be handy.

(A range of blueprint painting tools could be awesome here.. circle tools etc. for easy artistic layouts.)

Custom blueprint templates would be great too. Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance had a pretty neat implementation.

It would be fantastic for residential quarters, airlocks, life support and other repeating patterns.

Saved blueprints sound fantastic, I think they should be 100% player-made so you're forced to build at least one of something to copy it. This could potentially be a way for the community to share bases with eachother, make a blueprint of your base and upload it to the Steam Workshop. Other players could then download it, launch the game, click 'New Base' and 'From Blueprint' to start.

The room blueprints and base blueprints would need to save differently in this case, but that shouldn't be a real problem.

Thumbs up for the idea mate!

Oh man, that'd be awesome!

Imagine planning out your entire base in the first ten minutes, and flicking between the two views and watching as it slowly fits into your design, the gorgeous idea you had from the beginning...

Would be just incredible for setting your own personal goals!!

At the VERY least, not having to wait until something is built to zone and furnish it would be nice--especially once there are many more things in the game to pay attention to.

Sign in to follow this