Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 16: 11/1/13

Hello backers! Wanted to take a moment on this eve of fantastic festivities (http://www.dayofthedevs.com/) to fill you in on what's been going on with development for the past few weeks! With Shay's half of Act 1 looking good we moved on to Vella's half starting with Meriloft, the area formerly know as Cloud Colony.

As you may remember, that was one of the first areas we took to alpha and thus it was lacking from a lot of the polish and new techniques that came online for later sections of the game.

Well, now it's looking AWESOME and is totally ready to ship! Here's a sneak peak at some new unreleased screens for proof!

thumb_DOTD-EmptyNest.png

thumb_DOTD-ForgottenMaiden.png

thumb_DOTD-TheNestingArea.png

thumb_DOTD-TheOffering.png

You can see it in motion tomorrow, as that's the area we're going to be demoing for Day of the Devs! With that section behind us we're now rolling back to Vella's village, Sugar Bunting, and will be taking that to beta over the next two weeks.

Playtesting is continuing to progress at full steam. We're doing them pretty much every day now with a mix of Double Finers working on other projects and friends from other game dev studios. We're continuing to gather tasks for beta work on future Vella sprints and are learning a lot from watching people play through the entire game.

With all Act 1 recording under our belt we're now ready to have our last Act 1 VO session. That's being scheduled now and will begin next week! Then we'll work to edit all those lines and implement them so animators can finally take everything to final!

We're also getting back in the recording studio to finish off the remainder of Peter's music for Act next week. Gonna have so many awesome tunes in the game!

I believe that's it for now! Looking forward to hopefully seeing a big chunk of you tomorrow at the big event, and the rest of you on the livestream (http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine)! Party times!!

Wow, big bravissimo for all the concept and art team...! polish is everything, You may reach some degree of beauty but if you want to make the next step is gonna take u much longer for a little improvements. I hope the animation team get challenged with those art!! :)

Looks so great. Really nice to see a modern looking adventure.

Oh man, this game just can't be released any faster.

I'm really curious what Bagel is thinking about the game's visuals as they progress toward their final artistic space.

Does he feel some sense of ownership - is it "his" art? Or has it become someone else's product? Or is it a feeling of "joint ownership"?

Sorry if i missed it but when will ACT I is going to be released?

Sorry if i missed it but when will ACT I is going to be released?
Guestimation is January, but nothing absolutely confirmed yet.

I caught most of the stream this morning. Looks like it was a fun event. Would have loved to have been there :D

Broken Age was definitely the best looking title :D

I have to agree that these screenshots are (again) amazing! For some reason I was never a big fan of the Cloud Colony, but with that final bit of polish it really looks awesome! Also seeing it in motion on the Day of the Devs-livestream......I just can't wait to play it.

The screenshots look fantastic, such polish.

Buuuuut, I kinda missed Day of the Devs, but I really want to watch the Broken Age footage. Any place I can find it? Skimming through the twitch videos didn't produce anything, but I wasn't too thorough.

Buuuuut, I kinda missed Day of the Devs, but I really want to watch the Broken Age footage. Any place I can find it? Skimming through the twitch videos didn't produce anything, but I wasn't too thorough.

You can watch it here:

twitch.tv/doublefine/b/476050260

Broken Age coverage starts around 19:45

You can watch it here:

Thanks for this! Looks so great.

You can watch it here:

Thanks for this! Looks so great.

Are you talking about the game, Greg or Tim?

Wow the graphics looks absolutely stunning.. I must confess back in the early woodcutter demo days I didnt get the art style with my mind so stuck on the cartooniness of Day of the Tentacle.. But since now seeing the stunning artwork coming out since I am completely loving it with the world just begging to be explored (I just hope you dont fall foul of the Caves backtracking and maze like levels where it was easy to get lost..as although I enjoyed that game..it did kind of ruin it for me personally.)

Sign in to follow this