Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 12: A Whole Different Game Experience

It's here! A new episode!

[vimeo]78318392[/vimeo]

00:40: Coprophagia is the consumption of feces. Some mammals such as pigs, hamsters, and gorillas have been known to eat feces.

03:00: While at LucasArts, Oliver also worked on the Monkey Island Special Edition, in which he implemented a similar old school mode. Players could revert back to the original game’s graphics while playing.

04:15: Alpha is also the first letter of the Greek alphabet. In English, it is a synonym for “beginning” or “first”.

05:00: Ray’s sidequest, “I Think it’s Ok that I’m Still Here”: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8634

08:50: Pop Sound in Los Angeles, California

09:00: Richard Horvitz also provided the voice of Raz in Psychonauts and Zim in Invader Zim.

09:26: Lice are scavengers, feeding on skin and other debris found on the host’s body. Tim does not have lice.

09:14:

09:21: For men, there is a 4 in 7 chance of receiving the baldness gene. Hair loss sometimes begins as early as the end of puberty.

10:40: Broken Age concept artist and fan-favorite Peter Chan can be seen to the right of Tim.

12:14: Frank’s blowjob story was great.

12:38: Foxhole is slang for a fighting position in warfare.

12:56: Jennifer Hale is one of the most prolific voice actors in gaming. She has also provided voices for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, the Metal Gear Solid games and Halo 4.

20:00 Jack Black’s breakout role was in 2000’s High Fidelity.

22:00: Jack Black is no stranger to voice work. His Kung Fu Panda movies were both nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Academy Awards.

24:15: David Kaufman has also appeared on tv shows such as Animaniacs, ER, The West Wing, Step by Step, Wings, Night Court, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. He also took over the Marty McFly character for Back to the Future: The Animated Series.

24:45: Dave Gardner’s Space Weaver performance can be seen in the previous episode of Double Fine Adventure!

24:56: Read Kirk Hamilton’s writeup on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/tim-schafers-great-video-game-experiment-1228121826

26:40: Supergenius also contributed to Tales of Monkey Island and The Walking Dead.

26:50: Wolves have been a part of storytelling for thousands of years. In Japanese mythology, wolves were portrayed as near deities. In Navajo culture, wolves were feared as witches. Aesop featured wolves in his fables, including The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

27:24: To hear more about the games Dave has shipped, check out his Sidequest “Look, the Clocks…”: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/10098/

29:32: Kotaku’s Kirk Hamilton

32:23: Tim did in fact say that in Episode 5 of the documentary.

32:42: Use of acid as a weapon is more common in South Asia where acid is more easily purchased than other weapons like guns.

33:18: Greg brought Bagel in as a last minute addition to Double Fine’s “kick ass merch booth”.

YES! Been waiting for this for ages! I think I rewatched all the previous episodes 7-8 times EACH. Thanks so much, guys!

YES, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....yes

"We were all kids who were alone, and computers were our friends."

I think many of us felt that way at some point while growing up. But it's awesome that these days people who are passionate about gaming/computers/technology have such a strong community.

Never heard of Super Genius before, but I've played games the worked on. They're just down the freeway from me ('burbs of Portland).

Random distraction, but it's funny watching the bottle of honey move around the table during the VO recording sessions.

Can you please make links open in new tabs. I keep leaving this page and having to reload the video.

This documentary just always makes me smile when I watch. As excited as I am for the game, I feel that the doco is a great reward for being a backer :)

Hmm... Why do I remind myself WAY to much of David Brent from the British Office when I'm showing off our instant messaging technology...

Did I just spot the Dialog Tree in the game there?

Greg's still doing that voice, right?

Wow! I'm really excited to play the first act of this game. Cheers to the Broken Age team for all the work you've put on this game that we all can't wait to play. It's really amazing to see the game soon to be ready! I really can't wait. Double Fine for the win.

The worst thing about watching an episode is that it ends. Already looking forward to the next! Exciting times.

Dave Kaufman sounds awesome as Merrick (Marrick? What's the spelling here?), can't wait (even though technically I can.)

great episode guys!

Game looks ABSOLUTELY beautiful based on those shots in the update. Wow!!

Love the paint strokes!

ivXfmYp.png

-

sidequest

11:58 - I totally feel it. Awesome. -- I love those deep synths in the background.

Things I learned in this episode:

1. Khris Brown is a pottymouth.

2. Jennifer Hale still has like the best voice ever.

3. I have to try playing with that 8-bit mode Oliver was working on. (assuming it's in the final game)

Great episode! :)

So many thoughts:

1.) When I saw Mrs. Annable it made me wonder, dream and hope that somehow LAIKA on behalf of Graham have approached Double Fine to make a simple but fun mobile and/or web based game for The Boxtrolls.

2.) Jack Black just through joke reference has changed this entire game... I mean, sure it was already creepy enough with the orphan raised by comouter and the community that serves up little girls like cake for a big bad monster, but now we have his character as a cult leader. Btw, it felt a bit like Jack was invoking a bit of his friend, Dave "Gruber" Allen. (It'd be awesome to find out that Dave secretly plays H'armony's assistant/second in command.

3.) There's a DAD in the Space boy section too?!?!

I had more but I forgot it when trying to remember Dave Allen and looking up the research on that Graham Annable film.

Thanks for another one.

As for the voice acting:

I liked the wolf's voice actor the most (his accentuation was great like in the video before already), Jack Black also was good. Whom i didn't find this interesting was Jennifer Hale as, dunno, her voice is so well known and i would have preferred a different kind of voice/atmosphere/mood/character for the spaceship, maybe with a slightly foreign (french) accent, more feminine.

As for the oldskool res/palette shader:

Will it be flexible enough in order to allow a few adjustments like mapping not only to a full blown 256 but a more reduced palette like known from the Amiga and even going down to EGA with some proper dithering, plus being independent from a blocky resolution too? This would be cool then.

Great! The game looks incredible at this point. I hope the "classic" mode is in the final game. That's all I've got to say.

Poop in my mouth indeed.

Edit: now that I've watched the whole video. it was a lovely done episode. Love the voice for the wolf guy. CAN'T WAIT!

Great episode. I normally despise voice acting in adventure games, but these were really good. Made me appreciate it and really look forward to the characters.

Unfortunately, I expect a lot from this wolf character now. I hope he lives up to the hype.

As an 18 year old who is hoping to become a part of the next generation of game developers, I've always felt blessed that I'm actually going into university to learn game design as a successful career choice. It's also humbling to learn more about the trials people from the previous generation of game developers had to deal with in order to get into the industry. I can only hope that by the time I get into the industry that I will never take for granted the relative ease at which I can find a job within it.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to go to Pax next year. I unfortunately missed the deadline for tickets this year =c. If I do get to go next year, I'll make sure to personally thank you guys for all the tireless work your company puts into your games!

Also this was a fantastic episode! Getting to see the major voice actors in action was really fun and interesting!

Sign in to follow this