Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 12: A Whole Different Game Experience

"We were all kids who were alone, and computers were our friends."

I think many of us felt that way at some point while growing up. But it's awesome that these days people who are passionate about gaming/computers/technology have such a strong community.

That was such a bittersweet line in the episode. To me (just like it is to so many of you), that group of people helped to make my childhood truly special. While, one the surface, there's nothing truly spectacular about playing video games, that group at Lucasarts gave me some of my fondest memories with their incredible passion, feeling and humor. It's bittersweet to me because while I know that there are still plenty of people out there that make games because they truly care, not just because they want to get paid, that number is now limited to the Double Fines and the Telltale Games (and other groups of course) of the video game world.

I mean, Call of Duty used to be a special game to me, but then the people who thought about nothing but profits got their hands on it and look what happened.

/rant

I am glad that I get to share this experience with an awesome community, and I'm even more glad to know that I many people were able to share similar gaming experiences during their childhood or beyond.

Marek sounds sweet. Bagel's painting looks sweet. Honey tastes sweet. 2PP is sweet, again.

Smiles

Well that was a rather unpleasant opening...

Yeah, very classy. I'm no prude, but I wouldn't really feel comfortable with people using that kind of language in the workplace. A few cusswords between coworkers, sure, but that was just obscene. Aside from that opening, this episode was great though.

That episode was great! I hope the next one talks a bit about Tim and Lee's trip to Argentina!

I love the opening scene. I don't know about everyone else in this thread, but that is exactly how I talk with my co-workers, so seeing that scene not only made me laugh, but it also showed that the people who work for Double Fine are on very familiar and friendly terms. And frankly, that's part of what's so awesome about Double Fine. Imagine watching these documentary episodes if everyone who worked at DF were just strictly business with each other all the time. The last thing you want in a creative place is the sort of bleached, sterile, vapid culture that your typical corporation engineers and polices. I'm glad to hear them talking like that, because it means they're being themselves (good for artistic expression), it means they're honestly friends (and honesty is a rare and good quality in a company), and it is also very funny.

Also, whoever wrote the notes for this episode (presumably Remo) was a little more of a smart ass than usual, and it was great.

It was super interesting to watch Jack just improvise until he started to find the right hook. Did Jack Black just show us the voice actor equivalent of jazz? What an artiste!

Thanks for the episode! It was great as usual!

Well worth the wait, as per usual. I had so many chills listening to the voice acting, it's incredible. I mean, seriously, I don't even know how to contain myself when the game's finally done.

As for the oldskool res/palette shader:

Will it be flexible enough in order to allow a few adjustments like mapping not only to a full blown 256 but a more reduced palette like known from the Amiga and even going down to EGA with some proper dithering, plus being independent from a blocky resolution too? This would be cool then.

This feature is still somewhat in flux, but my gut tells me that we will probably rather have a somewhat polished 8bit mode instead of a fully configurable effect. It would be fun though to quantize down to EGA! :-)

Wunderschön! I'm stoked about the 8-bit, the voices, and pretty much everything in this episode. The game is looking great. Thanks for the new installment!

Will it be flexible enough in order to allow a few adjustments like mapping not only to a full blown 256 but a more reduced palette like known from the Amiga and even going down to EGA with some proper dithering, plus being independent from a blocky resolution too? This would be cool then.

This feature is still somewhat in flux, but my gut tells me that we will probably rather have a somewhat polished 8bit mode instead of a fully configurable effect. It would be fun though to quantize down to EGA! :-)

Why did you spend time on this? Don't you have more pressing work?

His job is to help make the best game he can, and if a fairly small time investment allowed the implementation of a feature that contributes to that aim, then it was time well spent. Oliver is talented, intelligent, and conscientious, and he obviously isn't going to let more pressing work go unfinished.

Soooooooo cool to finally attach a face and personality to Khris Brown, a name I've seen in the credits of every Schafer game since DOTT. And what an awesome chick, potty mouth and all. Her passion for her job is palpable, and goes a long way toward explaining why the voice acting in his games is always so damn good. The line about the lonely kids with computers, the one about never hiring celebrities for the sake of it, the coprophagia too. I have a crush on you Khris, and you can poop in my mouth any time.

Comments like this show such a fundamental lack of understanding of creative work. When you have huge amounts of complicated and really important work to do, mental breaks like this are critical in order to remain sane and focused. It clears your mind a bit of the worries and pressure you're under and that makes you faster in the long run. And you want to be fast in the long run, not just deliver at the nearest upcoming deadline and then burn out (like far too many people in the games industry do, due to exactly the kind of thinking you displayed).

Marek sounds sweet. Bagel's painting looks sweet. Honey tastes sweet. 2PP is sweet, again.

Smiles

Marek! That's how you spell it!

Thanks, Smiles, that's been driving me nuts all night.

@DF Oliver

I didn't mean a fully configureable effect but it could be cool if you would be able to switch (apart from the standard setup you define) between a few presets (like 256/(Amiga OCS, 32 colours from a 16^3 range)/EGA). It comes down to the image material but a full blown adaptive 256 colour palette can tend to look too close to a true colour image (apart from banding maybe not this limited in a way you might want it to be) whilst using a well calculated smaller palette (sometimes with, sometimes without the right dithering at a reasonable resolution) leads to really different aesthetics. On the other side a 256 palette causes less issues for certain content... you know what i mean. ;O) EGA would be cool already. The best fixed 256 colour palette i know is from Atari's/Miner's GTIA, it's gorgeous.

This video made me wish that I could make videogames.

I loved all the voice acting, it was very very incredible to hear. And I love the passion that comes from everyone in this game industry.

TIM! WRITE MORE LINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And less dirty jokes! You are a father to us :D:P

His job is to help make the best game he can, and if a fairly small time investment allowed the implementation of a feature that contributes to that aim, then it was time well spent. Oliver is talented, intelligent, and conscientious, and he obviously isn't going to let more pressing work go unfinished.

And it's a fun feature, from programming point of view and for many players.

This episode just skyrocketed my expectations of the game.

Dave Kaufmans voice acting is beyond amazing, stopped me in my tracks and forced me to pick my jaw up from the floor. A perfect choice to add gravitas to the game.

Thanks for all the hard work, this is going to go down as a gamechanger, in more ways than one.

I have to add that when I've been watching the latest documentaries I've been noticing a defensive tone, and there is always an undertone on what's going on with the money issues. I do understand that it's important to talk about these things since we've all here backed it and do have questions about it... But now it's time to just focus on everything which is awesome about the game, since it truly rocks!

That retro shader looks awesome, I hope it makes it into the final game!

Voice acting also sounded great, great episode overall!

i would like jennifer hale to sound more overprotective, like isa sounded on the scratch VO.

but... im happy :).

Awesome episode, was great to see the voice work coming together. Tim's impressions were great - shame he can't make a cameo in there somewhere.

The retro-shader looks neat, not sure how well it works on faces but considering it's an easter egg the developer did over his weekend speaks a lot for his dedication. It's reassuring to know that the team working on this loved old school games, it's easy to forget a lot of younger developers are from a generation that missed the likes of Monkey Island and Dott.

(Oh, and hello from a long time Lurker!)

When Oliver demonstrated the retro palette shift function: That was a pure moment of utter happy.

Also, Khris Brown is one awe-inspiring lady!

After changing my IP I was finally able to load the video! Italian IPs are hated by vimeo or something?

Now time for the episode!!!

Sign in to follow this