Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 12: A Whole Different Game Experience

Tim said something about not having written the second half of the game yet?! I hope this only means that he hasn't gone into the little details of conversations and puzzles and stuff. He knows the overall shape and conclusion, right? *slightly worried*

The soundboard at I think around 19 minutes, it looks really cartooney and weird!

Wow, loved all the focus on voice acting in this episode (enough to post for the first time in the backer forum)! Will we see any more of it in another episode, or possibly a sidequest, seeing as how only a few actors were shown? I'd love to see some footage of Hynden Walch in the studio, since she's voice tons of characters I like in TV shows before.

Tim said something about not having written the second half of the game yet?! I hope this only means that he hasn't gone into the little details of conversations and puzzles and stuff. He knows the overall shape and conclusion, right? *slightly worried*

You shouldn't have to worry about that. He said already in one the earliest episode that he had the story written. and the planning that led to the descision to ship part 1 as an early access title was based on the complete number of scenes they needed for the whole game.

Great Episode.

And !whoa! the game looks fantastic. 8 bit mode is awsome and should be included just for Old-School-Love.

I think the looks will raise the bar for other adventure developers out there. I don't remember a (adventure) game ever showing off that much atmosphere.

It ain't far from here, friends :)

This update was spanktastic!

Jake Black and David Kaufman really bring those characters to life. Really wonderful.

And the game is looking great too. Can't wait to play it.

PS: Khris Brown is lots of fun :)

PS2: the 8-bit is super cool. Will also have to play it like that.

How can life go on after this game is released and there are no more episodes?

How can life go on after this game is released and there are no more episodes?

It's all about just enjoying the ride, maahhnn. Lets deeeeal with that when we ghhhhett to it.

Smiles

Great episode!

Attending recording sessions is one of the perks when you work with dialog: it's always so exciting. Also, translating Tim's writing has to be one of the highlights of anyone working in localization. Chris Remo and Malena, I guess you've already organised the localization and it'll be done by an agency, otherwise I'd love to get involved (I've already done some work for you in the past and loved it! (your text files are sooooo well organised!!! :D)).

Hey Layla,

Yes, we already have our localization partner lined up for this project and we are getting ready to translate the first big chunk of the script very soon! (But thanks for your offer!) It's nice to hear that our text files are organized well from a translator's point of view. Since dialog is such an important part of our games, I worked hard to design a pipeline that would make it easy for all text & voice assets to get into the game as quickly and easily as possible. We use one script for everyone -- animators, gameplay programmers, voice actors, and translators -- so that everyone knows the context of each line. And once we have all the pieces, everything comes together rather quickly!

Since dialog is such an important part of our games, I worked hard to design a pipeline that would make it easy for all text & voice assets to get into the game as quickly and easily as possible. We use one script for everyone -- animators, gameplay programmers, voice actors, and translators -- so that everyone knows the context of each line. And once we have all the pieces, everything comes together rather quickly!

Neat. Any chance of a backer update focusing on that? I'd be interested to read more :)

Great episode!

Attending recording sessions is one of the perks when you work with dialog: it's always so exciting. Also, translating Tim's writing has to be one of the highlights of anyone working in localization. Chris Remo and Malena, I guess you've already organised the localization and it'll be done by an agency, otherwise I'd love to get involved (I've already done some work for you in the past and loved it! (your text files are sooooo well organised!!! :D)).

Hey Layla,

Yes, we already have our localization partner lined up for this project and we are getting ready to translate the first big chunk of the script very soon! (But thanks for your offer!) It's nice to hear that our text files are organized well from a translator's point of view. Since dialog is such an important part of our games, I worked hard to design a pipeline that would make it easy for all text & voice assets to get into the game as quickly and easily as possible. We use one script for everyone -- animators, gameplay programmers, voice actors, and translators -- so that everyone knows the context of each line. And once we have all the pieces, everything comes together rather quickly!

I must have translated hundreds of games but I'll never forget how pleasantly surprised I was when I got to play the localised version of the one I did for you guys. In fact, I think I'll use those text files I still have as a template for future projects (if you don't mind). Keep up the brilliant work! (Next project by Tim, please please please send it to me :D)

Double Fine: I usually use IE as my browser, but I can't watch your episodes when I do that. I get this message: "This is a Vimeo Plus feature". I am in Norway, maybe that has something to do with it. I would love it if that could be fixed, but it works in other browsers, at least Chrome, so it's a minor problem. Other than that, I love all the great content I've got from the DFA Kickstarter investment so far. Feels like I've been ripping you off. Thanks. :)

Sometime I keep forgetting that there will be a game to play at the end of this amazing documentary experience.

Sometime I keep forgetting that there will be a game to play at the end of this amazing documentary experience.

So unbelievably true. I just ate this episode up.

For the first time I'm starting to think about what the team will move on to when Broken Age is in the wild. I can't help but hope that it will be another Kickstarter, with another 2PP doc behind it. I mean, they could put a place-holder up right now and I would still back it immediately.

I think I'm what they call in the business, "captured".

I think I'm what they call in the business, "captured".

DF better not release us back into the wild! This sanctuary is pretty cozy.

Smiles

I had no idea that you guys were considering pulling out of PAX. So glad that everything worked out in the end.

The voice work is super amazing and it's great to start seeing it in-game with the animation. Thanks to 2PP for all those hot Maya graph editor close-ups!

Also, oh gosh, I'm in this episode...

Double Fine: I usually use IE as my browser, but I can't watch your episodes when I do that. I get this message: "This is a Vimeo Plus feature". I am in Norway, maybe that has something to do with it. I would love it if that could be fixed, but it works in other browsers, at least Chrome, so it's a minor problem. Other than that, I love all the great content I've got from the DFA Kickstarter investment so far. Feels like I've been ripping you off. Thanks. :)

I'm in Norway too, but I don't think that should have anything to do with anything. IE browsers prior to IE 10 are infamous for being broken in pretty much every possible way, so if you have an earlier version, you should consider upgrading if at all possible.

This documentary just always makes me smile when I watch. As excited as I am for the game, I feel that the doco is a great reward for being a backer :)

Agreed! :D

Have you tried the alternate video player? There's a link under each video embedded in the forums and backer site.

As for the oldskool res/palette shader:

Will it be flexible enough in order to allow a few adjustments like mapping not only to a full blown 256 but a more reduced palette like known from the Amiga and even going down to EGA with some proper dithering, plus being independent from a blocky resolution too? This would be cool then.

This feature is still somewhat in flux, but my gut tells me that we will probably rather have a somewhat polished 8bit mode instead of a fully configurable effect. It would be fun though to quantize down to EGA! :-)

I think you should have had a PAX demo, but only rolled out a section of the game available ONLY IN 8 bit mode, and any questions as to the quality should have been met with a condensing look and the line "well we said we were making a CLASSIC adventure game". What would have been even better is having Bagel wander over, inspect the monitor (sitting next to his beautifully painted portraiture) critically, and state that you can only do so much when translating it to computer and that it looks fine to him.

As for the oldskool res/palette shader:

Will it be flexible enough in order to allow a few adjustments like mapping not only to a full blown 256 but a more reduced palette like known from the Amiga and even going down to EGA with some proper dithering, plus being independent from a blocky resolution too? This would be cool then.

This feature is still somewhat in flux, but my gut tells me that we will probably rather have a somewhat polished 8bit mode instead of a fully configurable effect. It would be fun though to quantize down to EGA! :-)

I think you should have had a PAX demo, but only rolled out a section of the game available ONLY IN 8 bit mode, and any questions as to the quality should have been met with a condensing look and the line "well we said we were making a CLASSIC adventure game". What would have been even better is having Bagel wander over, inspect the monitor (sitting next to his beautifully painted portraiture) critically, and state that you can only do so much when translating it to computer and that it looks fine to him.

People wouldn't have got the joke. A lot of people like to see games fail and they would have jumped on that.

Anyhoo awesome episode, the voice acting gives me chills. This is going to be an amazing game; I had always hoped but now I know for sure.

Such a great episode!

As an actor wannabe, it's always rewarding to get insight into the process of voice over work. It looks like a ton of fun!

I especially love how involved Khris and Tim are in the process. Lots of good direction on tap. And Khris Brown is just so much lovelier than her more popular namesake (which isn't really saying much). She's also smiley. I like smiley people. And that laugh at 12:10 is both adorable and terrifying. Also, I need to stop talking about her.

Hooray for the polishing phase! And for not demoing the game on PAX! "You have chosen... wisely."

I am super excited about the game, even more so that it's now beginning to look more and more like a finished thing!

Can't wait to play the future beta! I'll wait as long as it takes!

P.S.: I gotta agree with some of the other backers here - at this point we just have to hear Frank's blowjob story.

Dear Tim,

Couldn't help notice you struggling with the banana so here is some advice; if you are struggling to open a banana the "normal" way turn it around and use the hard black part on the bottom. It is way easier ;)

Sign in to follow this