Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fhqwgads

[Suggestion] New Job/ Room: Science/ Research and Development

Rooms can be assigned as R&D labs and populated with science objects where crew rostered as scientists can work.

The function of R&D would be to upgrade the rest of the station, for example:

-better mining tools for miners

-better weapons and armor for security

-research into diseases for med bay (suggested by http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/10781/)

-make more hand held games for crew to play with, maybe even add an arcade room

-etc

Maybe they could even make robots to fill in for certain jobs

Thumbs up from me mate! This would keep you from being able to mine the **** out of all the asteroids and access endgame machines etc. early on. I was thinking about robots earlier, and it's a good concept (super spacey and all), but they would need to be relatively limited in some way to avoid becoming a replacement for humans. Perhaps they could work constantly with no interruption for a few days at a time, but very slowly, and would need to be recharged for a time before returning to work. Also, they should be limited to manual labor; ie mining, building, possibly maintainence, botany maybe, all with no opportunity to advance in level. If I were a citizen of the spacebase, I'd probably hate working with robots (citizens should become unhappy if forced to work alongside robots all the time).

I agree with The Idea Guy, and I think that if the developers didn't think about putting this into the game already, they should, and very fast.

Perhaps at the expense of Matter? Similiar in Dungeon keeper, how it costs gold to research (:

Some of this is on their dev plan

TECHNOLOGY

* scientist job

* research lab zone

* blueprints - you can only build what you have blueprints for

** scientists can construct blueprints by doing research in labs

** players choose research topics?

** blueprints can also be discovered aboard derelicts or brought by special immigrants

* starting conditions determine what technologies you have access to

* take dead hostiles to research labs to study them and learn to better deal with them

** eventually, how to deactivate killbots and reform them into friendly (still scary lookin') bots

Some of this is on their dev plan
TECHNOLOGY

* scientist job

* research lab zone

* blueprints - you can only build what you have blueprints for

** scientists can construct blueprints by doing research in labs

** players choose research topics?

** blueprints can also be discovered aboard derelicts or brought by special immigrants

* starting conditions determine what technologies you have access to

* take dead hostiles to research labs to study them and learn to better deal with them

** eventually, how to deactivate killbots and reform them into friendly (still scary lookin') bots

<3 Double Fine

Sign in to follow this