Sign in to follow this  
ShooMonFoo

Enemy Sound Design, References maybe?

This may be a little early to consider b/c the enemy concepts might change/might not be finalized, and maybe sound design doesn't come till way later but...

What are the current enemies (reference below) going to sound like? What's the sound that Rust, Forgetfulness, Growth and Fossilization sound like? They're really abstract things (Corrosion, Mutation, and Decay Maybe less so). Do they need to make sounds even? They're probably not like Pokemon (have calls and such). Should they sound differently when they get hit or hit something?

Reference

tumblr_msdc4sag1I1syjjzpo1_1280.jpg

Maybe other games have tackled this already. I know silence is a spell in almost every fantasy game and that's kind of a different sound (not sound?) to make.

This may be a little early to consider b/c the enemy concepts might change/might not be finalized, and maybe sound design doesn't come till way later but...

What are the current enemies (reference below) going to sound like? What's the sound that Rust, Forgetfulness, Growth and Fossilization sound like? They're really abstract things (Corrosion, Mutation, and Decay Maybe less so). Do they need to make sounds even? They're probably not like Pokemon (have calls and such). Should they sound differently when they get hit or hit something?

Reference

Maybe other games have tackled this already. I know silence is a spell in almost every fantasy game and that's kind of a different sound (not sound?) to make.

I like the idea of the forgetfulnes demon being completely silent, so it represents annulment which feels like a better extention to the idea of forgetfulness to me as it feels too specific.

Rust sounds like scraping, growth like rustling, fossilization like gravel, as immediate thoughts to the idea.

I like the idea of the forgetfulnes demon being completely silent, so it represents annulment which feels like a better extention to the idea of forgetfulness to me as it feels too specific.

Having the forgetfulness demons be silent seems a little passive to me. If silence is going to be a motif, I think it needs to be a really loud silence... so it might be cooler (and maybe this is what you were thinking) if the demons actively silence ambient sounds and heroic motifs; think of the difference between something that's dark (not reflecting light) and something that's actively sucking away light (an "anti-flashlight"). It might also help to have some sound that marks the beginning of the demon-induced silence (wind?) just so it's clear that it's an unnatural silence.

I think it could be cool to use this variations on this idea for all the different demons. So demons would be associated with audio filters that would do things like drop volume, or add distortion, noise, dissonance, etc... things that warp the original sounds to a less pleasant form. Then as you win territory in tactical battles, ambient sounds reflect the fact that you're on a roll by becoming less corrupted (likewise, if you're losing, that would also be reflected in the sound).

There were also lots of ideas about how demons should impact the overall score in the main music thread, but yeah, I think there should be sounds or effects tied to individual demons.

Reference

Really cool question bro.

Ah'll look up examples later, as it'll probably take forever, but ah hear

Corrosion - Stretching metal echoing in a warehouse. Scraping rocks.

Memory - Pulsing white noise with intimated overtones becoming explicitly played than dropping out, a new phrase harmonizing with what melody dropped out of the previous phrase, playing with our mind's habit of continuing a musical sound after it has stopped.

Growth - Wet bursting and stretching materials.

Fossilization - Timelapsed frost and snow crawling over a landscape, water freezing, cracked chalk.

Actually for the forgetful/memory demon, I would think it has a sound similar to a tapedeck on fast reverse. So, sound sped up and reversed, maybe something like a shriek.

It might also help to have some sound that marks the beginning of the demon-induced silence (wind?) just so it's clear that it's an unnatural silence.

For forgetting/memory, all I think of is empty minds. What comes to my head are those cartoons that show like tumbleweeds and play howling winds to convey emptiness.

This is the closest thing to the cartoon I could find

But here's a howling wind track, some parts sound more aggressive than others too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fL8pX2XEnE

edit=majugi quote

Awesome thread. My two cents:

Fossilization / Calcification - cracking sounds. Get over to a slaughterhouse, grab yourself some ham bones and start putting them in vices and hitting them with heavy things while the tape recorder plays. You know that rrrrrr-POP sound that happens when you bend something like a small dowel and it strains then snaps? Everything should be like that. Like, every step they take should have a sort of straaaaaain snap effect to it. Like the effort of hauling your foot out of quicksand or deep snow only to have to haul it out again on the next step. Rock grinding against rock.

Forgetfulness: The rewound tape recorder sound is a great idea, as is silence, though it's hard to do well. I agree that for some kind of super attack you should do the 'mute everything to 5%' treatment, maybe just with ragged breathing overtop of it, Dead Space hard vaccum style. Other times, fuzzy fizz like static, especially for demon hissing. Put some scraps of songs or dogrel subtly in the backgroudnd, like you were listening to a wedding very faintly from over the hill far away. Spinning the dial on a shortwave radio with who knows what coming in over the airwaves from eastern Mongolia.

Growth / Mutation: Bubbling retorts. Record a bunch of ordinary effects under water so that it has that bloop blarp sound to it. Throw some ham steaks around, get that wet meat slapping sound when creatures walk. Whisk branches of leaves around so that things sound like wind blowing through a forest at night.

Corrosion / Rust: Sounds like Silent Hill. Clanging, kind of industrial sounds. Winds blowing, desert.

Having the forgetfulness demons be silent seems a little passive to me. If silence is going to be a motif, I think it needs to be a really loud silence... so it might be cooler (and maybe this is what you were thinking) if the demons actively silence ambient sounds and heroic motifs; think of the difference between something that's dark (not reflecting light) and something that's actively sucking away light (an "anti-flashlight"). It might also help to have some sound that marks the beginning of the demon-induced silence (wind?) just so it's clear that it's an unnatural silence.

I think it could be cool to use this variations on this idea for all the different demons. So demons would be associated with audio filters that would do things like drop volume, or add distortion, noise, dissonance, etc... things that warp the original sounds to a less pleasant form. Then as you win territory in tactical battles, ambient sounds reflect the fact that you're on a roll by becoming less corrupted (likewise, if you're losing, that would also be reflected in the sound).

There were also lots of ideas about how demons should impact the overall score in the main music thread, but yeah, I think there should be sounds or effects tied to individual demons.

There's something about silence that can be very unsettling, but I agree that it probably will feel too passive. I think if it was struck, sparks could fly off, turn black and return, and the sound of a weapon striking them, quickly fades to nothing as if it's all absorbed or removed from existence. Or stopped and played backwards? I'm happy this gets its own thread, as the general demon thread would probably let something as specific as this be washed away and not discussed in more detail.

I wish I had the link for the overlapping timelapse effect from another thread as the pictures almost give you an idea of what it could sound like.

EDIT: Here we go.

?ACT=36&fid=52&aid=2755_K1mkO6kvWtal4PgExKO1&board_id=1

here's the link to the post with the effects I was talking about:

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/10034/

I was looking up cracking sounds (lots of suggestions for what fossilization might sound like) and came across Ice cracking. Never heard it before (never lived in a place that got cold enough). Sounds totally different from what i expected, but it's really alien/cool imo. Maybe not used for fossilization but a neat sound reference none the less.

I haven't seen them myself but I've heard the sounds a glacier makes are terrifying if you're spelunking inside one (or whatever you do in a glacier). "Like an I-beam snapping" is what I've heard. I couldn't find any audio of that in a minute, but I did find this (low quality) footage, and from a safe distance the sound a glacier makes is warm and mellow like thunder on a misty day. It's pretty nice.

I don't know what it is about sound design, but there's something about fantasy and SF sounds that I just don't like usually. It's definitely something I can't really put my finger on, just that some sound effects are super generic or over-refined or something, and to my ears they don't mean anything. I mean sure, it's a fantasy universe, but I still feel like sounds need to be more than just swooshy garbley noise. The bug language in District 9 is a good example to me of a sound-effect that obviously works and is well-produced, but in the movie it has so little variation and personality that it just sounds like generic meaningless SF bug noises, even though ostensibly it's supposed to be communication.

(I have to give the sound designers credit for at least actually developing some consistency with the language, but watching the movie I felt like the words were too overdone with noise and not enough individual personality)

One of my favorite sound designs in any movie is the Bog of Eternal Stench from Labyrinth. It's super gross, and whoever was responsible for it didn't hold back at all with all the pukey belches and wet farts. I don't like it because I want to sit back and listen to it all day, but for me it stands out as a soundscape that doesn't mind being totally repulsive and distracting if that's what it needs to be.

I guess one of the challenges with games is that no matter how much you pour your soul into it, you can't really produce enough sound to fill up 100 hours of gameplay with rich sound design. And there's only so much sound that actually needs to be important in a turn-based strategy game, because there's not really that much real-time action. It's not like MC can be Dota 2, where every little sound and music cue is actually important feedback on some important gameplay mechanic, if for no other reason because 80% of the time you spend on the board, no actual action is taking place. Or can it?

The other day I listened to this show, which is really interesting by itself, and I think it shares an important lesson, which is that in a low-noise environment, every sound you hear is actually an important piece of information. I think it would be really neat if even the ambient sounds between turns were meaningful. Does the enemy AI have different states, for being defensive, aggressive, cautious, scared, &c.? Is it likely to decide to run into cover or attack next turn? That would be cool to reflect in the soundscape.

http://howsound.org/2014/01/hark-the-acoustic-world-of-elizabethan-england/

The one thing I will say is: Enough of those whispers! Good grief, you'd think people have heard enough mysterious whispers. That, and the metallic ringing noise you always hear whenever anything metallic appears on screen, whether it's the One Ring to Rule them All or the big lightning P in Harry Potter.

Edit: Looks like I can't embed YouTube videos, weird.