Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luisimage

Fake for a Full Throttle HD remake

Hello!

I can't think of a better place to post this. I'm really happy to show you a fake for a Full Throttle HD (1080p FullHD) remake that I've been working in my free time.

I really hope you like it!

FT08_zps82ab635b.png

You can find the full resolution image here:

FT HD

Yeah, that looks incredible! How long did that take you? I'd be interested to know how you went about making that. Did you start with a screenshot of the original and then touch it up pixel by pixel?

Hello again and thank you for your comments! I'm really glad that you liked the fake.

@flesk It's hard to tell the exact ammount of time that took to be done because I had to work in short periods of time, but I'd say around 15 hours.

The process is pretty much what you wrote, I took a screenshot, resized it to 1920x1080 (I had to add extra information to the sides because the original game has a different aspect ratio). After that the rest is overpainting. The idea was always to respect the color code of the original game and only after the overpaint is done I added some extra lighting effects.

It's exactly how I remember it being! It's just how it is in the original, right,...right?

j/k, it's awesome! :D

Hello again and thank you for your comments! I'm really glad that you liked the fake.

@flesk It's hard to tell the exact ammount of time that took to be done because I had to work in short periods of time, but I'd say around 15 hours.

The process is pretty much what you wrote, I took a screenshot, resized it to 1920x1080 (I had to add extra information to the sides because the original game has a different aspect ratio). After that the rest is overpainting. The idea was always to respect the color code of the original game and only after the overpaint is done I added some extra lighting effects.

It certainly shows that you've put a lot of work into it. It would be cool to see a side by side comparison of this and the original screenshot or a gif flipping from one to the other.

It certainly shows that you've put a lot of work into it. It would be cool to see a side by side comparison of this and the original screenshot or a gif flipping from one to the other.

That's a good idea! Here you are:

FT_comp_zpsdcc02f6b.gif

Wow, that's incredible! I didn't realize quite how much of a difference it was until I saw that, but it's still very true to the original. I see that the faces must have been based on close-ups in other parts of the game, since there's not nearly that amount of detail in the original of this screenshot.

The comparison is great. It made me go take a look at the full res version to look more closely at the photo of Mo and Malcolm :D

The subtle pose changes for the characters were a great move. Were they taken from poses shown in cutscenes, or did you redraw rather than paint over those?

Hi there again and thank you so much for your comments :)

About the characters, I reused the portraits from the close-up scenes to achieve accurate faces (they fit perfectly to the current resolution!). The bodies are redrawn completely (altough I had to check some cutscenes and other references to match some details). The subtle pose changes are because of the different aspect ratio from the original and also to make them work properly in higher resolution.

The best HD remakes should make you think it's very close to the original -- but when you see it side-by-side, floor you with how much better it actually looks. You did exactly that. Well done, sir!

Fantastic! Have you thought of doing a series of screenshots from the game?

Not in the moment, It takes too much time and I'm currently working on other side projects.

Actually what I'd really want to do is the remake itself :D

That's really awesome, luisimage! And that lighting reflection effect is fantastic. Not sure if Disney will be doing remakes of LucasArts games anytime soon, but if they ever do make a remake of Full Throttle, I hope you get to work on it!

A bit late to the party. But man i would pay for something like this. This is how you do a HD remastering, you keep it exactly the same, yet improve on it. Without going crazy.

Absolutely love this.

Now im sad, because i wanna play Full Throttle looking like this.

I will admit that the pixel style will always have a special place in my heart. It just inspires the mind.

Damn....that is totally wicked! Such a faithful reproduction of the original art. It makes me wonder how the Monkey Island special editions would have turned out if they looked more like this (and I liked those!)

If DoubleFine get to do Full Throttle next, THIS is the perfect inspiration :D

Your the man! Thank you for this, hope they show this picture to the guys at Disney and make Full Throttle HD happen!

Wow, this is really amazing, I would love to see a remake of Full Throttle with visuals like this.

Hello all,

Wow, It's been a while since the last time I checked this thread. Thank you all for your nice comments and positive feedback. Maybe there's a chance to get a Full Throttle remake now that Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle are being remastered :)

Incredible!

It really depends on whether it can be animated well or not, but that looks like something I would definitely buy without regrets.

Sign in to follow this