Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luisimage

Fake for a Full Throttle HD remake

This is simply incredible, I hope that if they also do a remaster of Full Throttle it looks as good as your piece.

Brilliant job! The sad part is, I kind of don't want a Full Throttle Remake because now I doubt it'll be as good or up to the quality you've set with that one screenshot! My only complaint would be the lens flare, seems a bit overpowered for the lighting sources in the shot.

An awesome work indeed. It's also a very natural transposition, you get used immediately.

Hello!

I can't think of a better place to post this. I'm really happy to show you a fake for a Full Throttle HD (1080p FullHD) remake that I've been working in my free time.

I really hope you like it!

FT08_zps82ab635b.png

You can find the full resolution image here:

FT HD

Holy crap that's good!

I have never played Full Throttle, but your piece does indeed look great. Very detailed, a huge improvement yet faithful to the original. I do agree with Ash735 in that perhaps the glare does not fit that well with the dark ambiance of the scene, but it is a minor detail in an otherwise great work.

I bet you can all guess what my opinion is on this - too clean and bright! It's impressive technically, but all the rust and darkness has been taken out. Their clothes look like they're fresh out of the costume department - where are the oil stains and crumples and rips that the pixel art can suggest but an HD version could actually detail?

Thanks for all your comments!

I wouldn't say that the rust and darkness have disappeared, as I've tried to keep the color and light scheme from the original. This fake screen is an interpretation of how would look a HD version of Full Throttle. My interpretation is that the original is clearly tending to the cartoon side (of course not arriving to Day of the Tentacle style) and with this in mind a higher resolution version would need to focus on clean and readable shapes. I tried to avoid using too much texture that would make the image noisy and less cartoon-like. This applies for the backgrounds and specially the characters.

Of course this is my interpretation, and I understand that other people would try a different aproach :)

Hello!

I can't think of a better place to post this. I'm really happy to show you a fake for a Full Throttle HD (1080p FullHD) remake that I've been working in my free time.

FT08_zps82ab635b.png

Incredible job! Do you plan to make more of them?

If DoubleFine get to do Full Throttle next, THIS is the perfect inspiration :D

Did Double Fine ever mention anything about Full Throttle sequels? It's a pity all of them were shelved in the past (here is a sad story about it: http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/features/376). I'd love Double Fine to crowdfund one!

Thanks for all your comments!

I wouldn't say that the rust and darkness have disappeared, as I've tried to keep the color and light scheme from the original. This fake screen is an interpretation of how would look a HD version of Full Throttle. My interpretation is that the original is clearly tending to the cartoon side (of course not arriving to Day of the Tentacle style) and with this in mind a higher resolution version would need to focus on clean and readable shapes. I tried to avoid using too much texture that would make the image noisy and less cartoon-like. This applies for the backgrounds and specially the characters.

Of course this is my interpretation, and I understand that other people would try a different aproach :)

I don't want to rag on your work too much, and, as I said, it is impressive, so feel free not to read my ongoing critique! But although I take your point about the original being quite cartoony, I look at the comparison you made:

FT_comp_zpsdcc02f6b.gif

and see the rust gone from the corrugated metal bottom left, a lot of the cracks and textures in the wood and metal reduced, the gas cannister looks like it's straight out of a catalogue and the lightbulb is turned way up high. Basically, it's supposed to be a dingy little shack in a sinking town, and in your version it looks like a lovely, varnished coffee shop or something! The world of Full Throttle is full of oil and blood and dirt, and although you've mainly stuck to the colour and light scheme of the original, I don't believe you've captured its intent. They could only suggest this stuff in the original, but an HD remake has the potential to show that Ben's just had a nasty crash and is covered in cuts and rips, that Mo has been working on his bike and is covered in oil and dirt, that she lives in a crappy shack that's about to fall apart and is filled with battered old junk and a grimy old mattress.

As you say, though, this is all down to individual tastes!

I understand some of your thoughts but disagree in the final aproach.

I've seen some promising HD versions partially ruined because too much detail was added to it. Ben should have scratches and Mo oil stains but it's never shown or suggested graphically in the game, not even in the cutscenes where more detail could've been added to the models if that was the intention. Adding too much texture or detail to that style of cartoon characters is not my cup of tea and it's something i'd never do if i could avoid it (even if they certainly should be covered in sweat and dirt). Pretty much the same on the background, I cannot discuss too much if your opinion is that the gas cannister looks like brand new or the whole room looks like a varnished coffee shop, definitely we have different points of view :)

Ben should have scratches and Mo oil stains but it's never shown or suggested graphically in the game, not even in the cutscenes where more detail could've been added to the models if that was the intention.

I was thinking of the wounds he shows on his face and legs immediately after the crash. Granted, though, those do disappear for the shot of him waking up in Mo's bed!

Ben should have scratches and Mo oil stains but it's never shown or suggested graphically in the game, not even in the cutscenes where more detail could've been added to the models if that was the intention.

I was thinking of the wounds he shows on his face and legs immediately after the crash. Granted, though, those do disappear for the shot of him waking up in Mo's bed!

True, he heals as if by magic. Mo is such a good hostess...

Hello!

FT08_zps82ab635b.png

You can find the full resolution image here:

FT HD

Thank you for sharing that great pic :)

Special atmosphere they created in that game. Made a lasting impression on my child's mind.

This guy for art lead designer at Full throttle remaster or riot ?.

Because this is how its gotta look. This is perfection.

This guy for art lead designer at Full throttle remaster or riot ?.

Because this is how its gotta look. This is perfection.

Yeah, agreed :)

This is fantastic.

It really captures the atmosphere of the original game.

That's exactly how a "REMASTERED" versions should really look.

Unfortunately this picture has crushed my hopes for the actual Remaster. I hope It comes close to looking like this or that they at the very least translate face the close ups from the cinematic to the character models.

Unfortunately this picture has crushed my hopes for the actual Remaster. I hope It comes close to looking like this or that they at the very least translate face the close ups from the cinematic to the character models.

Personally i expect Double Fine to not only match this, but go above and beyond. I mean why else do it at all.

This looks great and its still 100% true to the original.

The problem is the lighting. To get the shadows and lighting as they are in the picture, with his shoulder lit up like that, you have to do 3d modeling or some very advanced 3d tricks. That's not going to happen, since they're still using the Scumm engine underneath.

Except for the lighting, I think this can (and should) be reproduced in the game.

Sign in to follow this