Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Valsion

[Suggestion] Therapy

One thing that I always noticed was how unhappy my citizens were, even when I had everything provided for them. Often it was, because they did not get enough social contact. So my idea is to make therapist an available job. Therapists will have their own little clinic, in which unhappy citizens can just talk.

Since most work accidents with me happen because of low morale (I usually don't bother giving someone a job unless they have at least three stars in it.) so sacrificing additional workers for a more stable morale might be a good payoff, without giving a too easy solution.

Something else that could be done with that is group therapy. I think it should require a very skilled therapist, to mediate between all group members (I'm thinking five stars.) but this method not only fulfills every groupmembers need for social contact but can also turn enemies into friends.

Thanks. After building all the rooms, there is not much more you can do to affect morale, so this seemed sensible enough. With a crew that has low morale, you might as well not even bother to have any technicians and just replace everything when it breaks.

Some spacebase citizens already have that: the bar (group therapy) and the bartender (therapist) lol

I know, I know, not everyone drinks.

I agree that my base has had a lot of people get glitched/die and most of my 'base citizens were very sad, too.

Seriously, sound like an interesting role for a citizen.

I'm not totally sold on the therapist and therapy idea, but I do agree citizens need more leisure activities.

A psychologist could be interesting, it would broaden your concept of therapist, someone who could help citizens from going insane (like Pandorum if you've seen the movie). A fantastic use of a Psychologist would be giving players access to the stat graphs seen in a recent blog post (discussion here), making him very useful not only to the citizens, but the player in meta-game.

I'm not totally sold on the therapist and therapy idea, but I do agree citizens need more leisure activities.

A psychologist could be interesting, it would broaden your concept of therapist, someone who could help citizens from going insane (like Pandorum if you've seen the movie). A fantastic use of a Psychologist would be giving players access to the stat graphs seen in a recent blog post (discussion here), making him very useful not only to the citizens, but the player in meta-game.

Therapists, psychologists -- lets start messing with their minds! But maybe they need a cooler name. Or maybe in the future, therapists and psychologists are actually...space hypnotists. :-)

Smiles

Therapists, psychologists -- lets start messing with their minds! But maybe they need a cooler name. Or maybe in the future, therapists and psychologists are actually...space hypnotists. :-)

Now that's creative!

I am totally for the term: Space Hypnotist. But in order to balance therapy and leisure activities with other colonists, maybe the therapy should only be able to make them "content" with a need for friends to become really happy.

I think it is that the game is just an unbalanced alpha at this point. Therapists seem a bit meh to me. I think that having space-doctors/space-medics will just do (and those are coming). There is no point of splitting it, as there is no point of having the technicians split into O2 guys, extinguisher guys, furniture guys etc...

Sign in to follow this