Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

Had to laugh at the latest spacebasedf9.com post...

http://spacebasedf9.com/post/66109114832/how-high-is-the-chance-that-an-update-will-invalidate

All I can imagine is when reactors become necessary that although it might not break the bases, there will be a lot of surprised crew members when the O2 recyclers and all the doors stop working...

They'll have eight minutes to stop panicking and gather enough materials to build a room/reactor, that's when things get real.

I posted a follow up question on exactly this topic, how exactly (if?) can we ensure that the bases themselves remain stable during such updates. No reply though. For a large base, adding sufficient food and/or power without half your crew dieing in the mean time may be quite a challenge.

I just hope that reactors don't end up working the way the dev plan suggests. where every room has to literally be adjacent to a reactor room to get power.. that just sounds like a bad idea to me. it really limits the possibility of base designs 'at least in my mind' if that ends up being the case. I'd rather see them function much like O2 recyclers currently do. where they would just 'pump' power throughout rooms. and of course once a ship gets bigger they get less effective and you need to build more to accommodate the ships power needs. (for the sake of immersion we can just imagine that there are electrical wires that run through the walls of the ship that deliver the power..) or better yet they can make it so we need to build some sort of item in rooms for power to work, like lets say for example each room needs a 'Fuse Box' in order to get power. idk, I could end up being wrong with the way they intend to make them work, but it concerns me a bit.

I just hope that reactors don't end up working the way the dev plan suggests. where every room has to literally be adjacent to a reactor room to get power.. that just sounds like a bad idea to me. it really limits the possibility of base designs 'at least in my mind' if that ends up being the case. I'd rather see them function much like O2 recyclers currently do. where they would just 'pump' power throughout rooms. and of course once a ship gets bigger they get less effective and you need to build more to accommodate the ships power needs. (for the sake of immersion we can just imagine that there are electrical wires that run through the walls of the ship that deliver the power..) or better yet they can make it so we need to build some sort of item in rooms for power to work, like lets say for example each room needs a 'Fuse Box' in order to get power. idk, I could end up being wrong with the way they intend to make them work, but it concerns me a bit.

Really, I kind of like the idea of being adjacent to a reactor, that means that if the reactor is turned off in one part of the base half your base is dark.(bad chest bursters could lurk)

However

The idea of a fuse box, to get power is actually a great idea in my opinion, or maybe you have to have lights built in rooms to get lights and a fuse box to power the light.(and everything else in the room, it would be very spacestation 13ish.) maybe the fuse box could power adjacent rooms?

Really, I kind of like the idea of being adjacent to a reactor, that means that if the reactor is turned off in one part of the base half your base is dark.(bad chest bursters could lurk)

However

The idea of a fuse box, to get power is actually a great idea in my opinion, or maybe you have to have lights built in rooms to get lights and a fuse box to power the light.(and everything else in the room, it would be very spacestation 13ish.) maybe the fuse box could power adjacent rooms?

Well, my biggest gripe about potentially needing reactor rooms to be adjacent to all other rooms is their size. you need quite a bit of space to place just one of those things. and having to have these rooms scattered all over the place or even just having one massive central reactor room to build around could turn into quite the eye sore and more importantly could stop you from building a base in the way you envisioned it, but again I don't know how they actually intend to make them work. so we'll see in the future when they get implemented.

about the fuse box however, I can see myself getting used to your idea of instead each room needing a fuse box you'd just need one in an adjacent room. there could be like a "fuse box Closet" zone to place them. maybe make them rather small only needing say, one floor tile and a wall to be placed, much like a space suit container, fire extinguisher ect.. We could replace the fuse box idea with a 'Power Transformer' instead, it might make more since, but having the same concept. Having much smaller sub-stations to help deliver the power around would definitely help open back up the base design possibilities.

How about for power, we take the Tekkit route, and power from generators is "high" power, and most machines require low power. Just say power is transmitted wireless-ly(its the future come on), so in certain zones you need a power transformer to make zones of low power. Also every door needs a manual override so people can force them open, even in low power situations.

However

Well, my biggest gripe about potentially needing reactor rooms to be adjacent to all other rooms is their size. you need quite a bit of space to place just one of those things. and having to have these rooms scattered all over the place or even just having one massive central reactor room to build around could turn into quite the eye sore and more importantly could stop you from building a base in the way you envisioned it, but again I don't know how they actually intend to make them work. so we'll see in the future when they get implemented.

about the fuse box however, I can see myself getting used to your idea of instead each room needing a fuse box you'd just need one in an adjacent room. there could be like a "fuse box Closet" zone to place them. maybe make them rather small only needing say, one floor tile and a wall to be placed, much like a space suit container, fire extinguisher ect.. We could replace the fuse box idea with a 'Power Transformer' instead, it might make more since, but having the same concept. Having much smaller sub-stations to help deliver the power around would definitely help open back up the base design possibilities.

My idea is that you do need a reacter room somewhere in the base however, the fuseboxes are used to get power from the reactor in certain areas. (the reactor in question works like a very long range air recycler) however to get power from it you need a fusebox in a room. (or an adjacent room)

What are reactors supposed to run on? Like, if refineries turn raw matter into usable matter, and air-machines run on power... what do reactors run on? IF you run out of refined mats, or even raw-mats, do they shut off because there is nothing to convert into energy?

What are reactors supposed to run on? Like, if refineries turn raw matter into usable matter, and air-machines run on power... what do reactors run on? IF you run out of refined mats, or even raw-mats, do they shut off because there is nothing to convert into energy?

Can we have some Solar Light/Wind generators, so there are multiple levels/types of generators.

Can we have some Solar Light/Wind generators, so there are multiple levels/types of generators.

We need this type of generator. Pedal Power for the win.

28014d1307700473-general-question-water-force-maintained-1kw-pedal-power-bicycle-generator-system-20powerpack-mns-power.jpg

Smiles

28014d1307700473-general-question-water-force-maintained-1kw-pedal-power-bicycle-generator-system-20powerpack-mns-power.jpg

Smiles

the reactor runs by smashing atoms together (read its desc in game)

Smiles

the reactor runs by smashing atoms together (read its desc in game)

this is sort of a suggestion

i think that in unpowered rooms with unpowered lights should have a kind of fog-of-war so we don't see what may be lurking there

I would also like having the possibility that people will make messes, and they should add a janitor closet and janitor job, also they should make battles more bloody, (which also means more messes for janitors to clean up) also currently the bodies look almost exactly the same as someone sleeping, i don't like that and they should look more 'dead'.

Smiles

Well at least with this everyones obsession with constantly working out would actually be useful.

i think that in unpowered rooms with unpowered lights should have a kind of fog-of-war so we don't see what may be lurking there

I would also like having the possibility that people will make messes, and they should add a janitor closet and janitor job, also they should make battles more bloody, (which also means more messes for janitors to clean up) also currently the bodies look almost exactly the same as someone sleeping, i don't like that and they should look more 'dead'.

Maybe in the event of a power outage, the base could get haunted by space ghosts ;D which would cause people to panic and not want to go there to fix stuff in the dark area.. and maybe in extreme cases scare them so much it gives them heart attacks..

They do say in the Dev plan that they plan on possibly adding janitors, which would clean up the dead bodies and litter that messy people on the base would toss around.

Maybe in the event of a power outage, the base could get haunted by space ghosts ;D which would cause people to panic and not want to go there to fix stuff in the dark area.. and maybe in extreme cases scare them so much it gives them heart attacks..

They do say in the Dev plan that they plan on possibly adding janitors, which would clean up the dead bodies and litter that messy people on the base would toss around.

space ghosts?

Janitors are a good idea in my opinion, right now, also the blood just stays there forever.. (well for near forever)

and yes a pedal powered reactor seems like a great use of people working out obsessively. :P

space ghosts?

Janitors are a good idea in my opinion, right now, also the blood just stays there forever.. (well for near forever)

and yes a pedal powered reactor seems like a great use of people working out obsessively. :P

yep space ghosts, not just your ordinary everyday ghosts, these ghosts only exist in space =) much like how space beds only exist in your space room... anyway, I was actually just trying to expand on your earlier idea of "not knowing what lurks in the dark" when the power goes out. I mean with so many people dying all the time, why not having some angry spirits hanging around haunting the crew? Or how about this, what if when a room goes dark giant space cockroaches might come out and attack your crew, but would run and hide once the power gets turned back on.

At least for alpha, I'm planning on scrapping my existing bases and starting from scratch whenever there's a big update. After alpha? That'll get mighty annoying.

At least for alpha, I'm planning on scrapping my existing bases and starting from scratch whenever there's a big update. After alpha? That'll get mighty annoying.

Absolutely, that's pretty much how I feel about it. each new update gets a new start, it'll help keep things fresh. Also I kind of feel like them making sure old alpha versions are compatible with each new one might take up dev time, that would be better focused elsewhere.. but, who knows, I'm no expert on game developing so maybe that's a fairly easy process for them.. either way I appreciate them going the extra mile to try and make our old saves work from update to update so early on. most games I've alpha tested, the devs didn't bother with version compatibility until well into the beta.

Might a i suggest a leaf out of space station 13? every room gets an Area Power Controller. These APC's have a battery in it that provides emergency power when the reactor is offline or insufficient. this battery charges on the main grid. For a powergrid why not go full out with infrastructure. you have to build jeffery's tubes and route in power and water through them?

Might a i suggest a leaf out of space station 13? every room gets an Area Power Controller. These APC's have a battery in it that provides emergency power when the reactor is offline or insufficient. this battery charges on the main grid. For a powergrid why not go full out with infrastructure. you have to build jeffery's tubes and route in power and water through them?

I want tubes and everything, more stuff to click on.

Evil Genius did the same thing with batteries. Personally though, I like the ides of power being kinda like Tropico where it has an area of power that can only be made bigger with power stations. It's literally the same idea with what that guy said about fuse boxes giving power to rooms.

I mean, if power is just base wide then you'll have just one room of power that you can keep expanding, but with limited power space people would start making seperate rooms for power as larger bases get build which would be kinda fun to have like, almost 3 seperate sections of the station, each with their own power grid, life style and theme to it.

space ghosts?

That is a great idea

Ghosts exist in dwarf fortress, so why not spacebase.

I'd rather see them function much like O2 recyclers currently do. where they would just 'pump' power throughout rooms. and of course once a ship gets bigger they get less effective and you need to build more to accommodate the ships power needs.

Oops, sorry, I missed this thread.

What will happen to your old savegames when we require power? Uh... yeah, there will probably be some problems. :) Haven't talked about how to handle that yet (if at all), honestly.

Power won't force strict adjacency. Our current plan is that they provide X power, and they dole that out by increasing distance (so the nearest objects get powered first). Once you run out of juice, the further out objects won't get powered. We haven't started implementing it, so it's subject to change. But it won't be a strict room adjacency thing.

I'd rather see them function much like O2 recyclers currently do. where they would just 'pump' power throughout rooms. and of course once a ship gets bigger they get less effective and you need to build more to accommodate the ships power needs.

What will happen to your old savegames when we require power? Uh... yeah, there will probably be some problems. :) Haven't talked about how to handle that yet (if at all), honestly.

Power won't force strict adjacency. Our current plan is that they provide X power, and they dole that out by increasing distance (so the nearest objects get powered first). Once you run out of juice, the further out objects won't get powered. We haven't started implementing it, so it's subject to change. But it won't be a strict room adjacency thing.

I still like the idea of having a generator and the only way to use that power is to have a nearby APC/ fuse box type thing like in spacestation 13 .

also you guys should add buildable lights, so that things can lurk in the dark and for a room to have light you need a light, and lights are very easily broken. (I kind of like the idea of adding an enemy that sneaks into your base and disguises itself as people)

you should not know someone is dead until someone finds the body (or its in a lit room)

this would make game-play far more interesting.

So its "Powered Wi-Fi". If the seed is a starting power source, we really need a way to move it around, because I want to build closer to the asteroids and save on initial back and forth travel.

yah maybe the seed could have a very limited amount of thruster power upon arrival so you can move it to an area you like.

Sign in to follow this