Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

MASSIVE CHALICE Update #31: Shirts and Posters Coming, Teamstream #10 This Friday

Hey Everyone!

Last week was really exciting for us! The coolest thing was being able to talk to so many of our fans and fellow developers at Double Fine’s “Day of the Devs” on Saturday here in San Francisco. Thanks to everyone who came out and said hi! :D!

Shirts and Poster Surveys On Their Way

If you were one of the original Kickstarter backers we’ve got some good news for you! We’re excited to announce that over the next couple days we’ll be sending out surveys to all our Kickstarter backers about shirt and poster rewards! This is really important since this email will be asking you for things like shipping address, shirt size, etc. Be sure to add "Fangamer Mailroom " to your spam filter so you don’t miss out on any of the backer reward awesomeness!

Here’s the final design for the backer shirt! (The actual shirt color may change depending on availability, but we'll keep it as close to this as possible!)

MCbackerTshirtr.jpg

Teamstream #10 This Friday

Tune into Teamstream #10 is this Friday, November 8th at 4PM Pacific (00:00 GMT)! Last Teamstream we showed some early in-game character models with Frederik and Andy, we discussed the random events system with Chad and Dan, and we wore some pretty high-end Halloween costumes! This Friday we’ll be checking out more updates from the team as well as the latest playable! Tune in live at Double Fine's Twitch channel, and make sure you bring some questions for the Q&A at the end! :D!

Vanguard Explorations

Check out this awesome exploration that Derek has been doing of the Vanguard armor.

VanguardPaint02.jpg

Can’t Join Us Live?

In case you can’t make the live broadcast you can find all our Teamstreams on our YouTube channel. And, be sure to head over to the MASSIVE CHALICE BLOG where we post the latest news from the team!

If a topic discussed by the team or your fellow backers gets you excited, happy, upset or anything in-between then talk to us about it! The best way to do that is to start a discussion right here in the forums.

See you this Friday!

- Anthony

Lookin' forward to this. I'll need a good dose of goodness tomorrow I think, and this should definitely help.

Smiles

Vidya 1

Tachyons could be how the Cadence manifests its' incarnations in human realms. It may imprint its' tulpas upon our material realm with the patterns of tachyons beamed across time.

Talking about chaining explosions + a set-up turn for priming = corrosion T1 guys can't move while they're priming and a caber can knock them back into their allies so they blow them up instead next turn. Kinda like the cars in X-com.

It'd be neat if atleast one forgetfulness demon ability animated as it shining a light into a hero's eyes, the information entering his mind is communicated via laser/lights across his retinas bypassing his concious mind.

The spawner's the coolest looking demon.

Going the route y'all are: having multiple damage types (forgetting, ageing) which eventually take a hero out of the fight, is superior to plain "take damage 'til you die". Keep exploring such options.

Good design includes punishment to force players to vary our tactics. If we can do the same thing every fight and win the game's boring and challenge-less.

X-com had 9 enemy types, counting 2 variants, so 7's not too far off. Would impressively match a AAA game's enemey numbers. Weaker enemies can remain relevant late-game as number-boosters and tactics changers if AI is scripted to account for their prescence so the computer changes its' playstyle.

vidya 2

The cadence models which still have a human template (two arms, two legs, vertical torso) will be more striking, differentiated in profile from heroes, and otherworldly if they moved away from it,

1- gaining extra limbs,

2- slithering on tails like the spore-crawler,

3- having insect-like abdomens,

4 - hovering over the landscape on wings even if it doesn't mechanically affect their movement (or they pass over low obstacles),

5- centaur-like lower halves (snake, fishy, caterpillar, centipede, scorpion,)

6- Roots like a walking tree

7- ambulating on knuckles like a gorilla

8- hopping like a frog or flea

9- djinn-style tornado lower half

10-floating on carpet, flying pot, litter carried by tinier monsters

Many of the cadence models are looking well weird and alien like the voltron-form growth, but several of them like rust, forgetfulness, and the one fossil guy still look very human.

Ah like the "first hit's free" mechanic of a fossil-demon to discourage alphastriking better than my own similar concept though both remind me of Pokemon's battles vs Medapod, boring bouts of hardening. How to make reactive defense, prolonging a fight without either party coming closer to death, more engaging exciting? SC 2's immortal had a neat take where the hard shield subtracted damage over a certain threshold so the unit was counter-intuitively weak vs swams of small enemies. Other games have had monsters which switch between guarded and attacking stances, becoming vulnerable when attacking. Sometimes shields aren't defensive but reflective, so a mis-timed attack harms yourself instead of the enemy. This could lead to round alternation for when to attack the fossil-cadence.

Other punishing options would be a dual-form: the fossil guy's outer shell is like training armor in martial arts films: it's just holding him back. Once it's destroyed (lower 50% health) he moves much faster (more time units), travels further per move, and has higher initiative for action-order sequencing.

Perhaps instead of the fossil-demon's defense going up, the % of damage he suffers returned to melee opponents increases, as he becomes spikier or hurting it generates rockspike ammo, a ranged attack which consumes rockspikes.

15-early 20s is the prime age. Women getting pregnant from 50-80 is gross and more fantastic than the cadence. Who would want to marry that brooding, evil-looking woman on the throne?

Smooth crotches, light from below, blue skin, serious faces, huaghty poses...who are the real demons?

Ah like the floaty lights 'round the plants. The orange flowers pop well.

2Player needs to cut to the camera showing Kristen more often when she's talking.

"Ponya did the water"

sandwiched between two guys

Brad wants hit from both ends.

We don't want to send children to the battlefield

or women.

Blood Bridle...he

How presumptive.

Things I love:

Love the water and the way it moves.

It looks like the fog of war doesn't cover water. It think it should as otherwise you give the shape of the Mangrove map away.

I thought the use of the gradient map was really interesting. I really like the resulting look.

Thinks I don't love:

I think you are missing an opportunity with only having a single corrosive demon. I know it's probably too late to bring it up, but an option for a difficult corrosive demon would be nice. Something that adds an additional strategic element as well. How about a corrosive demon that can switch between base and acidic forms. While in acidic form, melee attacks cause damage back to the attacker, and when in base form, they're invulnerable to ranged attacks (or maybe they even heal it).

It would be a simple palette swap to make the difference visible, and then switch a buff / debuff. They could even begin in just one form or the other, and move to switching between the two forms later in the game.

It's something to think about. It'd be pretty easy to implement, would even the cadence archetypes up and offer some flexible elements to combat.

A hard unique Corrosive demon would be pretty sweet, but we may indeed have to settle for simply a harder variant of the one.

Is the Corrosive demon like a bomb -- when it dies...are the plans for it to explode and spray corrosion on those around it (friend or foe)? Or something else?

Smiles

I also agree that I was sad to see a lack of another corrosion demon. I particularly liked the one with a "rust cloak". I imagined that it wasn't included because it was a little too humanoid looking, but considering how humanoid the other demons look right now, I think it'd fit in rather well. Perhaps a short-range AOE/spray attack? There doesn't seem to be much representation of that kind of ability. Perhaps it could have a negative effect against non-relic items (maybe even reduce EXP of non-relics?), reducing armor/damage/etc? That would provide it a unique place in the tactical and strategic layers like the other demons.

While I was generally positive on the visual design of the Cadence, the visual similarity of the hulking ice brute and the melee skeleton both having an third, tiny arm felt kind of jarring. Given that they have different themes and purposes and that there's been so much effort put into defining appropriate color palettes by theme, it was really weird to see that element be reused.

The skeleton hits home decently as a nimble enemy type that would animate well with thrusting or very short slashing motions -- more of a claw-swipe than an axe-swing. Given that, the extra arm/blade, and adding an extra blade/hand falls into "yeah, why not" territory. On our big, mace-handed brute, I don't really see where that extra arm is going to be useful. His weapon (big club hand) fits his intended role (big, painful meatsack) so my suggestion is to continue along that avenue; that weapon is going to end up animating as wide swings and smashes, so giving the demon himself a more rotational and less traditionally-humanoid appearance might be preferable.

My initial, overly-simplistic thought is 3 or 4 hollow disks stacked atop each other, with the mace attached to one of the disks near "shoulder height". Essentially a segmented Like-Like with a wrecking ball attached. You still get the hotel-spotlight effect (and can get some extra peeks of light from the torso as the individual disks rotate idly and expose small gaps), and you play up the "hollow" angle that this has in common with the amnesia/time mage enemy. Attack animations would end up being some variation of the wrecking-ball disk whipping around and slugging our heroes in the face.

I do like that the current design is vaguely humanoid -- I think that that's appropriate for our Goliath-ish brute -- so massaging some of in to retain evoke the feeling of a giant golem would be good. But the third arm, in this case, is causing a little dissonance. Especially since, for our current state, one arm (total) might actually be enough.

I also agree that I was sad to see a lack of another corrosion demon. I particularly liked the one with a "rust cloak". I imagined that it wasn't included because it was a little too humanoid looking, but considering how humanoid the other demons look right now, I think it'd fit in rather well. Perhaps a short-range AOE/spray attack? There doesn't seem to be much representation of that kind of ability. Perhaps it could have a negative effect against non-relic items (maybe even reduce EXP of non-relics?), reducing armor/damage/etc? That would provide it a unique place in the tactical and strategic layers like the other demons.

That's a good idea for a corrosion demon!

These enemies are our best take on what will fit in scope. If we have resources to create another enemy, it'll probably be from the corrosion family since it's under-represented. We'll have a better idea of the marginal cost of making a new npc when we get AI up and running, but each new npc also means more animations, another model and skeleton, some new icons and research options, and new vfx and sound passes so it adds up!

Perhaps you or Brad should sacrifice yourself and graft some technology onto your body to increase productivity and damage? Then we can get some real oompf out of you guys early, and then towards the end, we can just kindly thank you for your service and let demon corruption takeover.

Smiles

I have little to say except... wow, this game is coming along so well. You're building something very distinctive here, both in aesthetic and fiction. Looking forward to more, can't wait to play it!

Sign in to follow this