Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gsm

Tim Schafer's talk at XOXO Festival

Thanks for linking! Awesome talk.

(I'm only mildly concerned that a few - supportive - backers have their private IP addresses exposed.)

For me, playing an adventure game like Monkey Island was more of an archeological exercise. I didn't find the dialogue for USE Chicken with Pulley in the Middle ON Rat because I thought it would solve a puzzle, I found it because I used EVERYTHING on EVERYTHING ELSE, in order to fully experience the writing and animation that had been crafted for players, to the point where I'd be disappointed if I accidentally solved the puzzle and used up a plot item before I'd had a chance to run it through the macaroni press.

Great lecture. Also, standing without a podium is something I always hate, so nice job toughing through that.

Monkey Island remains one of my most favorite games because of the silliness, humor, and puzzle aspect of it. I remember playing it again and again, to the point where I could essentially speed through, ha. It is the kind of game I wish I could go back and play for the first time again. And hopefully Broken Age will be a lot like that.

Smiles

As a fan of what Double Fine is doing, pioneering open development and showcasing a documentary of how it all goes down, which in the long run looks to be great for both Double Fine (great exposure) and fans of games (understanding how the game development process works; at least, I hope it improves the general public of gamers' understanding of the process), I find these talks super fascinating. So, thanks!

Re: Tim's comments about people who don't like kickstarter...

The impression I've got from reading anti-kickstarter comments on forums are that people's main problems are

A) they have no realistic idea of how much a video game actually costs to make. They find it inconceivable that 3 million dollars could easily go to employing people, overheads and other costs of running a game studio for a few months. Clearly us crazy kickstarter backers have just given you 2.6 mil extra that you can go and spend on cars and luxury yachts and stuff, and that makes the backers stupid and the project developers scammers.

B) they don't like to take risks with their own money. Even pre-ordering a nearly complete game is taking a stupid risk (and I can't say I disagree with this in a lot of cases). But they also get upset when other people are being so reckless (as they see it) with their money, and rewarding "greedy" behaviour from devs. They can't see that, for a lot of people, risking $20 on a game that they really want and more importantly WOULD NEVER BE MADE if it wasn't for people putting their money up front, that this is a very reasonable risk. And that giving the game in question the chance to be made is totally worth it. They just see people throwing their money away up front on a flakey project, and this makes them angry.

C) they get sick of people saying "Hey, look at this new kickstarter for [insert thing here]" all the time. I can't say I blame them on this point :)

But the biggest problem for sure is having no concept of video game development costs.

I got all chocked up at the end talking about the backers!! :)

Tim, man, I got something important to say to you. Grim Fandango didn't kill the adventure genre. Myst, and all of its knockoffs, that were glorified slideshows with little to no character interaction, no humor, and empty lonely lifelessness killed the adventure genre. So quit telling that story.

Also, good talk, you're awesome, and so is Double Fine.

Grim Fandango :`(

I remember being super excited for Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans after reading a preview in a gaming magazine. They decided to cancel the project while it was near completion, and the reason I've heard for this was they saw how shiny, new and 3D Grim Fandango was and thought their game looked crap in comparison.

And, yet, Grim Fandango was considered a commercial failure?!

The video games industry makes me cry sometimes.

Yay kickstarters.

I remember being super excited for Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans after reading a preview in a gaming magazine. They decided to cancel the project while it was near completion, and the reason I've heard for this was they saw how shiny, new and 3D Grim Fandango was and thought their game looked crap in comparison.

Some dude apparently acquired a Copy of said Unreleased Beta of Warcraft Adventures and posted a good bit of it on YouTube a few years back:

Also I agree with Myst having a part in the decline of the Adventure genre, but I'd say consoles are a lot more guilty for that.

Great talk! Jonathan Coulton's (referenced in Tim's talk) is also a really good one.

Some dude apparently acquired a Copy of said Unreleased Beta of Warcraft Adventures and posted a good bit of it on YouTube a few years back:

Yeah, I've watched some of that. Man, I wish I could also acquire that. I remember someone from the old HOTU community telling me he had played a copy. I can't even remember who it was now. :(

I wish Blizzard would revisit it and release it on GOG or something.

Great conference Tim... I certainly hope Crowd Funding will always be a way forward for you. For me I am certainly glad that there is another funding model out there that allows games to be created that isn't yet another FPS or yet another annualised sequel.

For my personal hope outside more adventures by Double Fine (definitely my fav genre)... I would love Double Fine to do a Zelda inspired game mixing in more adventure game elements (with lashings of Animal Crossing) One idea I thought of would be to do a Futuristic Zelda style village where you become a member of the Galactic Police.. Which is an excuse for you have to portal to different themed worlds (you can chose to go when these planets alert at any time because it will always take you back in time to the point that planet hit the batlight alarm)... I have always liked that mechanic in Act Raiser where you werent just attacking monsters for the sake of doing it.. but rescuing young Timmy for his parents and seeing the grateful platitudes than ensues.

Thats just my thoughts though.. I know Double Fine will continue to come up with your great ideas..

All the best

Sign in to follow this