Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brütal Ke$ha

What gamecube games are must-haves?

And where do I buy them? I'm pretty much looking for some entertainment on the only console I own at the moment. Recommend me some games! I especially like rpgs and action/adventure, I'm not very good at platforming or puzzle games but I like them if they're not too difficult. Also a link if you know of a cheap website for such games I would love a link. Otherwise I'll probably just look on amazon and ebay.

I have Pikmin, the Legend of the Windwaker, Metroid Prime and some Sonic game.

1080: Avalanche

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

F-Zero GX (hard as nails in story mode though!)

Mario Kart: Double Dash

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Soul Calibur 2 (it had Link! Best version by FAR)

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II & III (2's better, but 3's good too)

Super Mario Sunshine (yes it's a good game, shut up)

There you go - 10 to track down.

Killer 7's not on the list because it got a PS2 port, BTW.

They don't have to be exclusive, I don't own any other console so it really doesn't matter to me as long as it's fun. And thanks for the list. Eternal Darkness seems really familiar but I had no idea it was on gamecube. I kind of remember really liking that game.

Well, if you don't mind multi-console releases (seriously though, grab a PS2. Dirt cheap these days and SO MANY GOOD GAMES), then here's 10 more!

Killer 7

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Resident Evil (aka: the REmake)

Skies of Arcadia: Legends (how'd I forget THAT from the first list?)

Spider-Man 2: The Movie

Super Monkey Ball 1 / 2

The Simpsons: Hit and Run

Timesplitters II / Future Perfect

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Seriously, this game is wicked fun. Especially if you're the sort of person who really likes open world games where you can smash anything. The story's pretty decent also, but the gameplay is what really attracted me to this title in the first place.

Actually, I bought a GameCube specifically to play this game. Totally worth it.

First of all:

SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE

1080: Avalanche

Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem

F-Zero GX (hard as nails in story mode though!)( I 2nd that)

Mario Kart: Double Dash

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Soul Calibur 2 (it had Link! Best version by FAR)

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II & III (2’s better, but 3’s good too)

Super Mario Sunshine (yes it’s a good game, shut up)

Killer 7

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Resident Evil (aka: the REmake)

Skies of Arcadia: Legends (how’d I forget THAT from the first list?) (and very rare in EU)

Spider-Man 2: The Movie

Super Monkey Ball 1 / 2

The Simpsons: Hit and Run

Timesplitters II / Future Perfect

adds:

Tales of Symphonia

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Animal Crossing (huge time waster)

Star Fox Adventures

Luigi's Mansion

Legend of Zelda collectors edition

Baten Kaitos

Super Mario Strikers (I hate football, but love this)

Beyond Good & Evil (HD version on steam/xbox now)

Resident Evil 4

Battalion Wars

Waverace Blue Storm

I really enjoyed Geist, and Zelda Four Swords Adventures, and you should get Metroid Prime 2 if you don't have that.

Also, if you like Resident Evil, there's a remake of the original game on Gamecube, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 2 3 and 4, and Code Veronica.

Non-exclusives that are good:

Hunter: The Reckoning

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Alien Hominid

Mega Man X Collection

Mega Man X Command Mission

Lord of the Rings The Third Age

Prince of Persia (any)

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2

X-men Legends 1 and 2

Probably more.

Beyond Good & Evil got a Gamecube release? I didn't know that. But if that's true, totally get it, because that game is amazing.

I'd say Mario Golf, if the idea of a Mario-themed golf game tickles your fancy. The only bad thing to say about Mario Golf is that it's pretty much just a session-based game. Although there are some unlocks and trophies, there really isn't any sort of career progress like you might find in other games. Just like in Mario Kart, you choose a character, play a course, and then it's over. But if you just wanna relax and drive some balls with Bowser or Princess Peach or Wario or whatever, it's a pleasant little game.

Metroid Prime is pretty awesome.

Gamecube also had a Fire Emblem or two released on it, if you dig tactical RPGs.

Yes, Beyond Good & Evil is on Gamecube. That's the version I own.

Also, why has no one mentioned Zelda: Twilight Princess?

EDIT: was going to add Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, because it's a fantastic rpg, but then I saw SHODANFreeman had already mentioned it.

I'd also say get Starfox Assault instead of Starfox Adventures.

EDIT: and I wouldn't say it's a /must/ have, but I enjoy Enter The Matrix. It follows Niobe and Ghost through the events of the second movie.

Well Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was kind of a Wii launch title as well. Not ot mention the GC version was very limited and thus copies qre a lot harder to find and more expensive.

Nor is it one of the must haves. LoZ:TP is very mediocre, as most post Wind Waker Zeldas are

Well Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was kind of a Wii launch title as well. Not ot mention the GC version was very limited and thus copies qre a lot harder to find and more expensive.

Nor is it one of the must haves. LoZ:TP is very mediocre, as most post Wind Waker Zeldas are

No it's not mediocre. Apparently, you haven't played the GameCube version. The controls on the GameCube version are far superior to those on the Wii. Therefore, the overall gameplay experience is better.

The only thing the Wii version has over the GameCube version is that the Wii has widescreen support while the GameCube does not. Meanwhile, the GameCube version has good camera controls, easier use of special attacks (most notably the shield bash, which then affects the ease to use any following special attack), and makes use of the spin attack in the same exact way the older Zelda games do instead of making it an automatically-charging win button like the Wii version does.

Further, I'm pretty sure that if I went to my local Vintage Stock or GameXchange (old video game trade-in stores) and found Twilight Princess for GameCube there, it would not be very expensive.

...as for the story, regardless of version, 1) the companion's story arc is interesting and it evokes emotion in me every time I play through the section just before Link can transform at will or when I watch the mid-credits cutscene; 2) her comments are far less intrusive (ie. prompting less "yeah, I know, shut up") than Navi; 3) the music and the locales have direct callbacks to Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past (which is not the same as mere fan-service because fan-service only has value if the gamer has nostalgic memories for the source material); 4) the fight with Ganon himself is more than just another re-hash of the A Link to the Past fight with Agahnim... I can go on.

It's a great game, and the GameCube version is superior to the point that I would certainly call it a must-have.

No it's not mediocre. Apparently, you haven't played the GameCube version. The controls on the GameCube version are far superior to those on the Wii. Therefore, the overall gameplay experience is better.

The only thing the Wii version has over the GameCube version is that the Wii has widescreen support while the GameCube does not. Meanwhile, the GameCube version has good camera controls, easier use of special attacks (most notably the shield bash, which then affects the ease to use any following special attack), and makes use of the spin attack in the same exact way the older Zelda games do instead of making it an automatically-charging win button like the Wii version does.

Further, I'm pretty sure that if I went to my local Vintage Stock or GameXchange (old video game trade-in stores) and found Twilight Princess for GameCube there, it would not be very expensive.

...as for the story, regardless of version, 1) the companion's story arc is interesting and it evokes emotion in me every time I play through the section just before Link can transform at will or when I watch the mid-credits cutscene; 2) her comments are far less intrusive (ie. prompting less "yeah, I know, shut up") than Navi; 3) the music and the locales have direct callbacks to Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past (which is not the same as mere fan-service because fan-service only has value if the gamer has nostalgic memories for the source material); 4) the fight with Ganon himself is more than just another re-hash of the A Link to the Past fight with Agahnim... I can go on.

It's a great game, and the GameCube version is superior to the point that I would certainly call it a must-have.

Wind Waker is one of my all-time favorite Zelda games. I couldn't stand playing through more than a few hours of Twilight Princess, and I specifically bought the Gamecube version because I hate motion controls. The Gamecube version still runs $30-40 on average, though.

Then again, I'm also a blaspheming monster that thinks Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are severely overrated.

Everyone pretty much got all the good ones down... but...

It's Pokemon Collection Mechanics + Armored Core Controls sped up + Japanezee Cheeze and poor translation + Bright colors.

I think it would be really hard to find though.

If you have access to Gameboy Advances, GC link cables and four friends (otherwise they're a lot less fun):

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

It's like a tiny MMO mixed in with Gauntlet and Final Fantasy.

Zelda Four Swords

Probably the most frustrating/fun Zelda game ever (when you play with four players).

and Pac Man VS.

as for party games, Wario Ware Inc. and Super Smash Bros. Melee. Both games are still legit fun today.

P.S. Phantasy Star Online ep I & II, if feeding mags is your thing (fun esp. in multiplayer with the right people, maybe outdated).

Have to agree on Luigi's Mansion. It's short, but it's fun. Would love to see this updated (or a version of LM: Dark Moon) for the Wii U. The Wii U gamepad would be awesome to utilize for this game.

Ugh Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. HTe one game I sold for being soo bad. come to think of it I actually beated it before trading it in for Super Mario Sunshine.

Never been a fan of FF anyways. Loved IV, VI, VII, Crisis Core and Tactics Advance though

Ugh Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. HTe one game I sold for being soo bad. come to think of it I actually beated it before trading it in for Super Mario Sunshine.

Never been a fan of FF anyways. Loved IV, VI, VII, Crisis Core and Tactics Advance though

Did you play with other people? Most of the GC/GBA link tittles were better the more people you had imo.

Why yes I did. Still a bad game.

Four Swords Adventures was great in 4 player

as for multiplatform games like Soul Calibur II, Viewtiful Joe, Timepsplitters, BG&E, Prince of PErsia, etc.. I'd still pick a GCN over a PS2. Better graphics and controller.

To each their own :)

Four Swords is so fun, but when everyone gets triangle hungry it can make things frustrating for those who want to progress.

I could never appreciate Four Swords Adventures because you can only have one secondary item at any particular time, and the world you explore consists of small, compartmentalized areas instead of being one big overworld. It didn't feel like a proper Zelda game to me.

I also never liked Crystal Chronicles much because it relies too heavily on the concept of local GBA-to-GCN multiplayer to be much fun. Again, it didn't feel like a proper Final Fantasy game to me.

It's an extremely mediocre Zelda. I mean, it's still good in the sense that it's Zelda, so it's good compared to a lot of other games, but compared to every other Zelda in existence, it's really not very good. Out of all the Zeldas ever made, Twilight Princess definitely feels the most like Nintendo was just phoning it in.

The GC controls are superior to the Wii controls, but that just improves the controls. An extremely welcome improvement, but the game is still mediocre for a Zelda besides.

compared to every other Zelda in existence, it's really not very good. Out of all the Zeldas ever made, Twilight Princess definitely feels the most like Nintendo was just phoning it in.
Because of what? Because it's not as original as Wind Waker is? Because it didn't push the boundaries of the 3D action adventure game genre like Ocarina of Time did? bah.

After Wind Waker came out, the majority of Zelda fans complained because they wanted a realistic Adult Link on Hyrule Field(similar to, and as a result of, the Zelda tech demo seen at Spaceworld 2000) but instead got a cel-shaded Toon Link on the Great Sea. So, Nintendo gave them exactly what they asked for.

And now, because Twilight Princess harkens a lot to the franchise's roots, it's considered to be "phoning it in?"

I don't see what the previous games had that TP does not. And for the record, while I love Wind Waker, I don't like Majora's Mask much at all. Certainly, it had some good dungeons, but originality be damned--that game is less about exploring and adventuring, and more about knowing where to be in the right place, at the right time, in the right order.

No, it's because TP was a bland game with bland characters, a dull overworld with very little content and mundane taks to do.

Toon Link in WW had a very expressive face, TP Link's expression never changes

Collecting 49 treasure maps for 49 sunken treasures and farming tons of rupees from the Savage Labyrinth in order to pay Tingle aren't mundane tasks?

How is getting bugs and poes any different from getting spiders and poes? Wind Waker might have more minigames, but many only win you money, thereby making them pointless.

Also, TP Link has /fewer/ expressions. It doesn't make him inferior just because he grins instead of jumping for joy.

Let's see... OOT has 10 dungeons, LTTP has 12, WW has 7, TP has 9.

I have my beefs with Windwaker, too, so I'm not even going to start down the path of comparing them, but sticking just to Twilight Princess.

It's one of those games that has a lot of great ideas in concept, but which don't get executed very well. A lot of the things they did paid homage to the two greatest Zeldas of all time (i.e. A Link To The Past, Ocarina of Time), but they paid their homages in really bizarre ways.

For example, it was ALTTP that originally proposed the idea of a light world and a dark world that you could travel between, and that if someone from the light world went to the dark world or vice versa, their form would change. In the ALTTP, Link goes to the dark world and changes into the form of an anthropomorphic rabbit. And that's cool. In TP, they proposed the idea of Link transforming into a wolf. In theory, that's even cooler!

But the difference is that in ALTTP, you just get trapped as a rabbit for one very specific portion of the game (i.e. the time it takes you to find a magical item that will change you back) that comes very very very late, indeed HOURS AND HOURS late into the game experience. While you are in rabbit form, it doesn't really give you any new abilities or affect your skill set in any way at all. You are just a rabbit. It sucks that you are a rabbit. The end. In Twilight Princess, you get trapped as a wolf, like, immediately. Before you even have time to really play as link at all or even put your adventure shoes on, you are already a wolf. You are now playing the The Legend of Wolf. It's not really that big a deal in CONCEPT, but when I played it for the first time, I was seriously like WTF is this sh*t? I just wanted to get it over with as soon as possible so I could get back to playing what I came for, which was Zelda.

But the Wolf also affects your ability set. That's cool IN THEORY. Cuz it's like, woah, if you could change into a wolf, you could like dig holes and smell things and stuff. That could have been awesome if, say, you changed into a wolf for a very specific segment of the game extremely late into the game experience (see: ALTTP). But instead you are forced to switch back and forth between Link and Wolf for the entire game. There even places in the game where, to accomplish certain tasks, you have to go Wolf --> Link --> Wolf. Maybe that wouldn't be a pain in the ass if you could just press a button and it happened, but you have to talk to Midna every time and then watch the animation, which hijacks your camera angle and then doesn't put it back when it's done. They were at least kinda enough to make it THAT unobtrusive, but it was still obtrusive enough to be a constant speed bump in your attempts to adventure.

But also, compare just the towns and NPCs to a game like Ocarina of Time. The towns were full of very unique people, full of character, often with unique missions or mini-games associated with them. Here's a list of memorable NPCs from OOT and a list of memorable NPCs from Twilight Princess

OCARINA OF TIME:

--The grave digger

--The girl who makes you catch her cuccoos

--The kakariko witch (i.e. in the witch shop)

--The family that has been cursed by the skulltulas

--The pale, emaciated boy that sits under the tree in kakariko every night and says that people are ugly

--Biggoron

--Crazy scientist guy at Hyrule Lake

--Fishing mini-game guy at Hyrule Lake

--Malon

--Talon

--Impa

--Shiek (technically Zelda, but still)

--Happy Mask shop guy

--Crazy guy who believes he is a rabbit

--Guy who wants you to collect poe for him

--Kaepora Gaebora, i.e. The Owl (memorable even though I hated him)

--Nabooru (gerudo valley sage)

--The zora king

--The zora princess

--The Deku Tree

--Saria

--The bully kid in the kakariko forest

TWILIGHT PRINCESS

--Guy who wants you to collect poe for him

--Lady who owns the bar

--Lady who runs the fishing mini-game

--Mallow (arguably the best thing about TP)

--Yeti guy

Yep, that's about it. Granted that TP had a lot of other NPCs, and some of them were even unique, but they were either very boring or were given such a passing glance in the overall adventure/story as to not really impress themselves on your memory.

And even as I was making that list, it struck me how many mini-games and sidequests OOT had, whereas TP had almost NONE in comparison. Even the one they have in common, fishing, is better in OoT than it is in TP, which is amazing to think about, because TP went to huge lengths to give fishing a huge special area and this whole system where you could fish from a boat and use different lures and such, whereas OOT just has you stand on a log and fish, but somehow OOT fishing is 1,000,000 times more fun than fishing in TP. I literally fished like two times in TP and was like "This sucks. Why would I do this?" And never came back.

TP had the crappiest fight with Ganon ever. I resent the fact that the giant boar "changed his strategy" in a way that obligated me to fight him in dog form for five seconds, when that wasn't really necessary, and was really only thrown in there to give the dog form more usefulness, because the dog form wasn't very useful, because the dog form was better in concept than in reality.

Here is a list of OOT mini-games I can think of:

--Mystery treasure box game (cheat using eye of truth)

--Archery (kakariko)

--Horseback archery (Gerudo Valley)

--Bombchu bowling

--Footrace (against bunny man)

--Horse racing

--Grave digging

--Fishing

Here is a list of TP mini-games:

--Fishing

--Shoot to the stars guy (hookshot mini-game)

--River rapids

--Flying fruit-collecting thing

--Cannon/Cuccoo clowns

Just not as many, and the ones that are there are much more boring or perfunctory in comparison.

Look, I could go on all day. But the short version is that Twilight Princess was definitely a Zelda game, and it definitely had dungeons and characters and things like that in it, but compared to the Zeldas that came before it, it just wasn't very well put together. All the ideas were there, and they had some great character ideas, too. Some of them they nailed (e.g. Midna, Mallow), but others just had the potential to be great and didn't really work out (e.g. zora prince, native american guy, colin and his dad, etc), usually because they were just sorta skimmed over.

I think that's really what it comes down to is that when previous Zeldas introduce an idea, they stick with them for a while, or really see them through somehow. TP felt like it threw a bunch of ideas in there just to have them in there, and then just kinda left them hanging.

Worst. Ganon. Fight. Ever.

Also, remember when the Goron king was a genuine bad ass? Look at Darunia! He's a bad ass!

darunia3.jpg

The TP goron king looks like f***ing Ron Perlman or something. That haircut? Seriously? And check out his rock nipples.

darbus.png

Anyway. Still an okay Zelda. It's still not a game I would call BAD. But as far as Zeldas go, it is absolutely my least favorite. Bottom of the list.

Seriously. Worst Ganon fight. Awful.

Speaking of Thousand-Year Door, I've poked about at subsequent Paper Mario games, and Goombella never appeared again as any more than a cameo, which makes me sad. My favorite PM-exclusive characters are Goombella, Nastasia, Count Bleck, O'Chunks (who has gotta be related to The Scotsman from Samurai Jack) and Tippi. I think we even named our Vivillion in Pokémon X after Tippi.

Also, I like Mario Sunshine a lot, and my sister and I are chipping in to buy it, a Gamecube memory card, and a Classic controller for our Wii for my brother for Chanukkah. I think if they ever made Mario Sunshine 2 and made it a 3DS game, I'd buy it. The 3D would be gorgeous.

Good tips, I get paid on Friday and I'll probably start looking around for these Friday.

Anyone want to recommend a good website or franchise for gamecube games? Amazon is really expensive and ebay is sort of hit or miss.

Sign in to follow this