Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brütal Ke$ha

What gamecube games are must-haves?

If you have second hand music/book stores where you live I'd go there. Or you can googlemap some mom/pop game boutiques. Did this a while ago in my city, found like three good ones.

Also, I like Mario Sunshine a lot, and my sister and I are chipping in to buy it, a Gamecube memory card, and a Classic controller for our Wii for my brother for Chanukkah. I think if they ever made Mario Sunshine 2 and made it a 3DS game, I'd buy it. The 3D would be gorgeous.
You know you can't play GC games with a classic controller, right? It has to be a GC control.

Gamestop retro section?

I went to the one nearest me yesterday and the guy laughed at me and said they haven't had gamecube games in years.

If you have second hand music/book stores where you live I'd go there. Or you can googlemap some mom/pop game boutiques. Did this a while ago in my city, found like three good ones.

I'll probably do this, boutique should be a useful search term.

Although looking online can get pricey, it's still the best place to check.

Amazon, for example, has some good stuff. Make sure you check the used section, they're WAY cheaper (although, obviously, not in pristine condition).

I started to go through and put all of the titles that people mentioned here on an amazon list just so I could have a consolidated one and it's pretty expensive even used. I might just get a couple of classics like Super Mario Bros Melee and Double Dash off amazon sooner and then bargain hunt for the rest of them when I have time.

@Brutal Ke$ha

What city/town so you live in? It might help if we could locate for you a nearby video game trade store. Except Gamestop... It's no surprise to me that Gamestop wouldnt have games from 2 generations ago.

I live in Westbrook Connecticut, if you want to look for me that'd be much appreciated. I haven't gotten around to looking because of work but tomorrow's my day off.

From what I see, there are various GameXchange stores in CT (we have at least one here in Tulsa). They have all manner of older games and systems.

The nearest one seems to be in Branford, which is about a half hour drive from Westbrook, and the next closest is in Orange (both reachable via I-95).

There also is a Retro Games Plus in Orange: http://retrogamesplus.com/locations/

GameXchange locations in CT: http://www.gogamexchange.com/Locations.aspx#tabs-1a

EDIT: What I did was, I did a Google Map search for "video game stores near Westbrook, CT": http://goo.gl/maps/aRlPi

Much of the results are the likes of fye, Gamestop and Best Buy, which are no help. There are also pawn shops, which are an option but are likely quite hit or miss. But then I saw GameXchange, which we have here, and another result for Retro Games Plus, which I went to the website for to make sure they weren't merely a video arcade.

And I still insist that Twilight Princess for GameCube is a must-buy. I don't care what these other weirdos say. Twilight Princess for GameCube and Super Smash Bros. Melee might be higher in price among the games we listed, but that is because they are popular, not because they are rare. I waited a really long time before getting SSBM because I wanted to pay 20 bucks instead of 40, but the price never seemed to drop below 35 because it was so popular.

Oh, and if you don't have one already, you need to get an S-Video AV cable for your Gamecube. Composite (ie. just the one yellow cable) isn't acceptable anymore what with HD flatscreens. If you had a Wii, I would recommend using that instead for playing GameCube games, since you're likely to find component (red/green/blue) cables for Wii and component is superior to S-Video. Component cables for GameCube are extremely hard to find, and therefore extremely expensive. I recall finding an S-Video octopus cable (a cable with many connectors) that supported various consoles, including Gamecube, at Wal-Mart for like $10 once upon a time, so any of the trade stores that sell older games and consoles should have something.

Granted, this thread is about Gamecube and there are plenty of games listed for you to look into getting, but it occured to me while reading a different thread that there aren't that many RPGs for GameCube. So I have to mention that you should consider at some point down the road getting a PS2 slim. PS2's library is /massive/ compared to Gamecube, and it has plenty of games that I would say are must-have, like Dragon Quest VIII and Ace Combat 5 (which is my favorite flight combat game of all time.)

Along with chyron8472, it can play PS1 games! So that's like double the catalog of good games. Man it's kinda depressing how many good games a person misses out on every time a new generation of consoles comes out. We need to invent a hyperbolic chamber (DBZ) so we can catch up on games "literature."

Back to Gamecube, apparently Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is a must-have multiplatform game that I somehow missed out on. It's available both for Gamecube and for Steam.

If it comes bundled with two other Splinter Cell games, supposedly the word is the other two in the bundle suck.

They don't suck per se, but they're REALLY eclipsed by Chaos Theory.

Mainly because Chaos Theory has an amazing co-op mode. If you don't have a single friend in life, Chaos Theory is only a little bit better than its predecessors.

I went to a games xchange yesterday and I only had 20 bucks and I went back to my car to get my wallet/credit card and then the person I was with got me distracted and I didn't go back into the store or buy anything. I'm going to go by myself soon though and have a thorough look around.

I'm not a huge fan of the Splinter Cell games. The Chaos Theory co-op was fun but unless you're playing through the whole game with the same person it takes a lot of the fun out of it. Like the person that knows what they're doing spends most of their time telling the new person what they're supposed to do so you can finish the mission. I played through The original, double agent and a good portion of chaos theory before though.

You know you can't play GC games with a classic controller, right? It has to be a GC control.

Ah crud. No, I did not. Thank you for letting me know before I wasted my money on it. I can still plug it into the Wii though, right?

Ah crud. No, I did not. Thank you for letting me know before I wasted my money on it. I can still plug it into the Wii though, right?

Yes. But you plug it into a GameCube controller port on the side/top of the Wii, not into a Wii Remote. Using a Wii to play Gamecube games basically turns the Wii into an actual Gamecube, and the original Gamecube didn't utilize Wii Remotes so they don't work while playing Gamecube games. This is also why the Wii uses Gamecube memory cards for save games.

If you're going to buy a controller, I have two suggestions: 1) buy a first party controller (one that actually says "Nintendo" on the controller itself); 2) buy it new. Third-party controllers are much more prone to breaking or wearing out, and they don't have the same feel that the controller should. Plus, if you buy a used controller, the analog sticks are likely to be wonky because lots of people have no concept of taking good care of their equipment.

I suggest you get a white controller, because it comes with an extra-long cord: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017KIBAI/

yeah wavebirds work, but they don't have rumble.

I'd go with those official white ones. In production since around the release of the Wii. and that longer cord is nice

Thanks, bud. I'm not a fan of the price (my dad is super stringent when it comes to money), but if it's my only option, I'll deal with it.

Also medacris, make sure your wii is not the version that was bundled with new super mario bros wii or mario cart wii. Those versions of the consoles cannot play gamecube games at all.

Also medacris, make sure your wii is not the version that was bundled with new super mario bros wii or mario cart wii. Those versions of the consoles cannot play gamecube games at all.

To my knowledge, it is not. I don't think it came with a game, but we bought Super Smash Bros. Brawl, because that was the game we had initially decided to buy the console for. We did buy NSMB Wii later when it came out, though.

Yeah. Every other Wii should play Gamecube games, just not the Wii mini. It's highly unlikely that you have one, since it's rather highly unlikely that /anyone/ has one.

EGGO MANIA!

...yeah its multiplatform but it IS FUN! :D

EDIT: Its also a shame that most of the people who play it on youtube, suck at it... -_-

Yeah. Every other Wii should play Gamecube games, just not the Wii mini. It's highly unlikely that you have one, since it's rather highly unlikely that /anyone/ has one.

No, there's

Model RVL - 001 (original one)

Model RVL - 101 (since 2011, removed gamecube functionality)

Model RVL - 201 (that Wii mini one, pictured above)

I have a new black Wii, likely bought during 2011, and it is RVL-001 (I just checked). It has Gamecube support.

[EDIT:] Nope. I bought it in 2010. Hmm.[/EDIT]

From the few Google searches I'm doing, it seems that people assume black Wii's to not have Gamecube support. Mine does.

EDIT AGAIN: Apparently, the not-Mini Wii's that don't support Gamecube are called "Family Edition" Wii's. They're not designed to sit vertically, and their Gamecube port covers are physically sealed shut.

If your wii looks like this, or the Wii Mini, then it will not play GC games. Notice the location of the Wii logo.

4472aa9409f943e59a8bc1ea7536bfbf.jpg

I have a launch model. Installed homebrew channel with the Twilight Hack. can run emulators, but I never managed to get GC/Wii iso's working. Probably because I'm dumb.

Sign in to follow this