Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saoirse

Who wants to work in the Games Industry?

I'm curious. This forum seems to be (from first impressions) full of quite young people, some of whom I guess want to work in the games industry at some point. Am I wrong? I usually am :)

So... what would you all like to do? What do you aspire to be? And what are you gonna do about it, eh!??

Sort of, eventually. In my mind, I can only see myself as in indie developer whilest having a "normal" job. Programming's really the only hobby I feel it's worth it to get better at, so I haven't animated or drawn all that much.

lol. I kinda do as well. Although I know I have pretty much no chance in hell. Just one of those long shot dreams. I'm thinking of heading down to a studio near me, Firefly studios here in Connecticut. And just asking if they need some help doing anything really. I'd even go as an unpaid intern or just unpaid man-slave. I believe they have a place over in England as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be shot down. But worth a shot I guess. If not a career in games then at least something I can get some satisfaction out of. Maybe a rodeo clown?

I want to in the future, but i am still trying to explore all my options

I have like 6jobs atm (no j/k) and so far i seem to be good at all of them ^^;

Though if worst comes to worst, I might try making kiddy games and not-poopy games for females. (uh, cursing allowed?)

For some reason this "Kawaii Kishi" (lame use of japanese words in non-japanese game) is highly acclaimed, but all the games I've played demos of on that site are... low-quality, imo.

I have a story idea and gameplay that will simply blow the minds of everyone in the entire world, but simultaneously get me committed to an insane asylum forever.

Unfortunately the only skills I have to back it up are writing itself and composing music

:\

I might roll into some freelance or *gasp* regular work in the games industry, but for now I'm enjoying writing about games in a few gaming mags. That's enough for the while being, but who knows what the future holds?

So, am I the only one here who doesn't want to work in games? Why would I want to waste my skill and talent on creating life-ruining murder simulators when I can apply them to developing business-critical enterprise software solutions that enable businesses to leverage their-- ah, who am I killing, I would kid to do computer games! I probably never will though, so instead I post on forums.

Also, is this forum still so small that I need to say hello? And can I swear here?cuntExploitive?!

Well, I want to work in animation or something similar, so games isn't really too far off. I could work for games, it'd be fun, I think!

So, am I the only one here who doesn't want to work in games? Why would I want to waste my skill and talent on creating life-ruining murder simulators when I can apply them to developing business-critical enterprise software solutions that enable businesses to leverage their-- ah, who am I killing, I would kid to do computer games! I probably never will though, so instead I post on forums.

Also, is this forum still so small that I need to say hello? And can I swear here?cuntExploitive?!

ah the fun of white text lol

and i don't think so

welcome to the club Toblix

Toblix, I thought you did work in the industry or something? :)

No, no, I do boring enterprise software stuff. The closest I get to making games at work is registering validation listeners on domain controls. I've always tried making games at home, though, ever since I tried QBasic, but I've never actually gotten close to finishing anything, which makes me very special and unique.

ah the fun of white text lol

The awesomest thing is that they only censor it when outputting it, so "cunt" is still stored in whatever form of persistent storage they use. Maybe they're planning to remove the censoring when they grow some fucking balls. No, I'm just kidding. I know nobody would publish their games if they allowed cursing in the forums.

I wouldn't mind getting involved in the gaming biz. I'd prefer to do the art concepts and character designs, etc since I wouldn't have the patience to animate anything. Voice acting is something I'd love to do, too.

I'd like to do the same things for cartoons, as well.

Really? Are you saying that publishers take the language that a companies fans use into account when deciding to publish a game? That seems a little far fetched to me.

Obviously you're not a game publishing fat cat.

At most I'd like to help work on a story for a game. Nothing more. I have a passion for playing games, not making them. :)

At most I'd like to help work on a story for a game. Nothing more. I have a passion for playing games, not making them. :)

Me too, but as I am a musician i'd like to try to compose music for a game too :P

Me too, but as I am a musician i'd like to try to compose music for a game too :P

Are we the same person

I really want to do character designs/modeling/animation. And eventually... one day a producer even?!

*gasp!* *shock!* *terror!*

I'd love to produce some good ol' survival horror games or just something silly and off the wall.

I've always wanted to be part of the games industry. I'm studying games programming at university. I'm not very good at it though. I would far rather be on the creative side of games development (not that programming can't be creative, a resourceful programmer can design some really efficient solutions). Next year they are starting a Games Design major so I will try for a double major with that. I'd be happy doing character design, modeling or animating. But I'd really like to do scriptwriting. To make a game that is even half that of Psychonauts would be a dream come true.

Wow, I'm like one of the few who is serious about this. I want to make games. I'm looking at programming with the intent to become an actual game designer (game version of a director/screenwriter) later on. I have this really cool idea I'm not going to talk about cause I want to do it first. And it will be a first for games.

Wow, I'm like one of the few who is serious about this. I want to make games. I'm looking at programming with the intent to become an actual game designer (game version of a director/screenwriter) later on. I have this really cool idea I'm not going to talk about cause I want to do it first. And it will be a first for games.

Ah, the grand dreams of the meek. ;)

Again, the whole clone issue comes into play. I'd say half those ideas are mine as well. And therefore half of the profit yous make would be mine. But then would we have to split that with the others too?

You imply that I am a weak spirited individual? If that were the truth I be like the everyone else here talking about how its to hard and competitive. I don't care how hard it is to get in, I will get in, and your lack of belief in my own abilities is insubstantial to that success.

You imply that I am a weak spirited individual? If that were the truth I be like the everyone else here talking about how its to hard and competitive. I don't care how hard it is to get in, I will get in, and your lack of belief in my own abilities is insubstantial to that success.

Ah, the grander dreams of the meek. ;)

Ah, the grander dreams of the meek. ;)

Dude, you're being a prick, trolling around insulting everyone and ruining the forums, why don't you think before opening your useless gob?

ooh ooh look at me posting in every thread and wasting everyone's lives with my inane and utterly pointless comments and awesome avatar , I'm so clever and big, I know everything ooooh oooh oooooh

You don't even know what meek means do you? Just because you don't have any of your own dreams except maybe to one day beat a used tissue a battle of brain power, which I can tell you now will never happen.

Sign in to follow this