Sign in to follow this  
Saoirse

Who wants to work in the Games Industry?

I don't know, possibly. Only as some sort of design lead though, to get my crazy ideas out there. I couldn't *do* anything else, I don't really have any programming/modelling skills.

i hope to workin the game creation as a 3d animator but i do have the fear of not enjoying games anymore after making them...but i will trust what i enjoy(Making 3d) and go with it! :)

I'd be kind of afraid that being in the games industry would lessen my overall enjoyment of video games.

I have no fear of this happening. I enjoy games to much to let making games lessen my enjoyment. Actually I might enjoy them more knowing just how much hard work went into my entertainment.

Yea, I'm not sure I would feel the same way or not. Really, I wouldn't mind doing anything that I could somehow incoperate my art into. Video-games would be cool, but I'm not sure that it would ever work out.

I hope to eventually write for a game developer. Video games have always been my passion, and I honestly can't see myself doing anything else (long-term). I think the only thing that stands between me and my goal is just how much I want it.

I'd be kind of afraid that being in the games industry would lessen my overall enjoyment of video games.

I actually have been thinking about that too. Especially after reading through Paid to Play. Yes, I did read that whole thing through. Shut up.

I'm also intrested in getting a job as a dental hygenist! Mabey I'll work with Dr. Loboto if I'm lucky!

I'd still love to. I'm not so young as I used to be though but its still an interesting and fun industry.

Yep, I'd love to work in the game or movie industry. I think my animation and artistic skills should eventually become good enough to land me a job.

I'm already in the games industry! :o

....Now what? TT_TT Producer? Designer? Programmer? Oh dear, I don't think I'd wanna be a programmer in the games industry...

I... want to advertise... but the new rules say... no... :'(

I made a group on DeviantArt for game developer-types (basically all amateurs, meaning no pro's, but some are pretty good). So like... I program stuff, and there are some people who do 3d models, and such and such. It's pretty new, though, so we only have 8 members total.

I'd love to eventually work (more) in the games industry although not within the actual 'game design' aspect of it. Instead, I'd like to work in either marketing or PR/Community. I actually just moved 3,000 miles just to be closer to certain companies. Right now I'm working as a tester for one of the big three and I can honestly say that I'm loving it. I know that a lot of people laugh at testers but I literally love it. I go to work all day and play games. I play a LOT of really crappy games but I have played some super awesome ones too. Some games make me rue the fact that I showed up to work that day but I've played several absolutely AMAZING games that serve to counter the crappiness. I guess I figure that no matter how bad the games are that I play in a day the fact still stands that I get paid to play games all day.

I'm a firm believer that I'll eventually get what I want as long as I keep working towards it. Considering I just made the move out west just two months ago, I'd say that I'm on my way to fulfilling that dream. Good luck to all of you guys (and I hope that one day I'll see you at some industry only events ;))

I am aspiring to work in the game industry. I'm an art major and hope to one day find myself behind a large desk, preferably purple, pushing a pencil and making 'purdy' lines for some of the early, or late, stages of game development.

It took me a little while to get into school as I spent most of days, post highschool, sleeping. When I discovered that sleep doesn't pay that great I got back in my art game and began applying myself. I'm working on a portfolio that I one day plan on sending to Double Fine, and anyone with eyes.

y'know i feel like i have all of these great ideas for games, but if i have to suffer through hell to get them out in the current industry system, and then watch as my endeavors are stripped away from me, i'd rather not work in the industry. maybe an iindie game here and there some day :|

My degree is in Visual and Game Programing, so I'd certainly like to work in the industry someday. The hours most studios require are pretty crazy though, so my current plan is just to stick to the mod scene. My make software the game developers use, which is good enough for me. =)

I would love to work at Double Fine, but that means I'd have to come all the way down from my emo corrner of America, and that's a long trip. :C

Plus, I have Microsoft and NoA right near me. Ironicly, they are literaly across the street from each other, which always gives me a good laugh.

I can imagine Redgie glaring out a NoA window, into a microsoft window, and Bill Gates glaring back.

I would work for Double Fine or Grasshopper or anything that comes from the remnants of Clover in a heartbeat. A company aiming to do something different and generally better than the rest of the EA world.

But, even if I went to school for it and was all set to go, I imagine these days it's get a job where you can, and working at a company I have no love for would probably be pretty darn soul sucking.

Still though, given a chance to create under the loving-yet-immovable iron grip of Tim Schafer? I would sell my Wii and take the next smelly Greyhound bus to San Fran faster than you could say two week notice.

I agree with what everyone else is saying. If I lived in or near California, then I would. But Canada is just too far away for me to give a damn.

I'm working in the industry as we digitally speak!

At times, it's tantamount to dating an incredibly good looking woman. People are often jealous of you, are given access to places/things that others will never see, and numerous times throughout the week you'll ask yourself, "Why in the hell am I putting up with all this?"

It's soul crushing and life defining at the same time. Much like a mysterious European perfume commercial. But with less fit guys.

What's so bad about working in the industry? There seem to be a lot of negative comments.

Some of those comments are coming from people that know deep down they'll never make it into the industry and are therefore doing the whole, "Psh! I don't even WANT a giant case of gold! It's heavy and could possibly drop on my freshly painted toes".

Others currently in the industry are painfully aware of the long hours, possibly terrible pay, long hours, lack of job security for those on small teams/tiny start-ups, and time away from friends/family due to long hours.

What's so bad about working in the industry? There seem to be a lot of negative comments.

Long, long hours for months at a time and low pay. The movie biz is also brutal.

One friend of mine worked for 6 months with 105 hour work weeks(15 hours a day, 7 days a week); another stopped going home and just started sleeping at work during crunch time. Not all jobs are like that, but I've seen it happen enough times that I'm not rushing to do it.

Long, long hours for months at a time and low pay. The movie biz is also brutal.

One friend of mine worked for 6 months with 105 hour work weeks(15 hours a day, 7 days a week); another stopped going home and just started sleeping at work during crunch time. Not all jobs are like that, but I've seen it happen enough times that I'm not rushing to do it.

This is exactly why we need to rise up and overthrow capitalism. Then everybody can make video games!

it would be nice to work in the games industry one day

It is a dream of mine (a long-term goal, if you will)

Though i lack any technical programming or design skills

I'd probably go for a PR job or some sort of coffee-boy administrative lackey