Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saoirse

Who wants to work in the Games Industry?

it would be nice to work in the games industry one day

It is a dream of mine (a long-term goal, if you will)

Though i lack any technical programming or design skills

I'd probably go for a PR job or some sort of coffee-boy administrative lackey

Caffeine is serious business for those who work long hours, so I wouldn't assume that the coffee-boy would be a lackey.

Probably more like: deliverer of caffeine = office hero!

This one time I was working on the most ridiculous project ever - the last three months of this project consisted of getting into work at 10am, and leaving at 2am the following morning... every day of the week, non-stop. We ate our breakfast at work, our lunch and our dinner. It got to the point that we had a constant stock of wine, beer and snacks for people... I also got such a bad back from sitting in my chair all day, that I took to lying on my tummy on the floor when I was testing the game... just like how I played games when I was 10 years olds.

It was completely amazing. The best experience of my life.

I heart the games industry.

The only thing I hate about it is fixed-term contracts :(

it would be nice to work in the games industry one day

It is a dream of mine (a long-term goal, if you will)

Though i lack any technical programming or design skills

I'd probably go for a PR job or some sort of coffee-boy administrative lackey

Hey I like that. How about an I wanna work in teh industry haiku competition?

My mouse is itching lonely art

Portfolio thinner, smell of dusted wacom

Let me at least be a tester of some kind.

Yes, I want to work in the games industry. I'd like to intern and eventually work for Double Fine or Bioware, but that's probably a dream. Whatever. If I set my mind to it, I can do it. I know the game industry is extremely competitive and brutal, so I'll have to tough it out and do my best.

I'd like to work in the art related field (character design is my specialty), but my goal is be a game designer. A sort of cliche' answer, but take that for what you will.

Ok...

I have always dreamed of getting into the gaming industry...and Ive always wanted to work for doublefine to...<3 *dreams* tims never let me down, all of his games have been awesome

I would love to get into the industry. I plan on attempting to after college, as a writer for a company similar to Bethesda or Bioware. Heh, I'll probably even fire off an application to Double Fine.

Although I'm a writer, I'm also an aspiring designer and artist. If I ever somehow manage to get ahold of a few million, I'll probably use some of that to help fund the production of a game by my design. Or, well, fund the creation of a studio I mean. Heh, maybe by then my art portfolio'll be good enough to get in as a concept artist somewhere.

I'm curious. This forum seems to be (from first impressions) full of quite young people, some of whom I guess want to work in the games industry at some point. Am I wrong? I usually am :)

So... what would you all like to do? What do you aspire to be? And what are you gonna do about it, eh!??

Oh I'd love to work as an artwork designer for some great innovative game one day but I don't find myself good enough for it yet and that's not said to put myself down but just to be honest and critical towards myself. I've still got a way to go!

I aspire to become a great artist in paintings, drawings, illustrations and soon also physical 3D designs. I am busy creating my own world and am eager to share it with the world around me. I've already been doing so (almost nonstop) since september 2006 till present in the form of exhibitions through and out of town. Every now and then with the luck and opportunity of selling a painting as well.

Furthermore I get most of my income by being a freelance webdesigner since the demand for websites and/or other graphical designs are way higher than paintings and art in general. So, there you go. Oh and every now and then I also create some music and release it (most of the time) completely for free.

I (am striving to) aspire to inspire other beings to do it themselves. Whatever "it" means for them, it can be anything as long as you don't waste your unique individual potential in a fulltime society energy draining job which you don't really want to do but then again, when you turn 40 you still wonder what you've been missing all those years.. intuition is important! don't get me wrong, i am still heavily learning myself.

The least we can do is follow our hearts and feelings and just go out and do it at the end of the day because otherwise we'll just keep wandering in circles of thoughts and doubt of wether we will succeed or not.. go do what you feel is right to do and you'll find out by yourself in time by deeds and actions wether that's what you seeked for or not. And if not, it's hard to say but then there's always a time to look into a different direction (although first impressions are often not untrue).

Thanks for your question, it's a good reflective one!

Thanks, how about you by the way?? What would you like to do and what do you aspire to be??

Hi. Levi

i do love enjoying video games. in fact i already went to school for video games. we made 2 mods and those were the funnest projects i've ever done. i've been taking some detours and i'm interested in getting into the design industry to round out some more of my skills... but in the end i will have to come home back to games. i program and i do art... and making games seems like it'd be the only place where i can do both *and* have fun.

the people there are nice too. HA! excellent. you can check out my reel that i just finished.

I'm still working my way through high school so I'm not positive in what I'd like to do as a career... but working for Insomniac Games as a developer is in my mindset as a career at the moment.

But yea, I'm sure it would make games less enjoyable which is an extreme downside to working in the game industry...

I'm certainly considering it, but if half the things I've heard about crunch time and such are true, I don't think it's for me. At the very least, though, I'd like to make small games as a hobby (once I've learned more about programming, that is).

Who wants to work in the Games Industry?

Definitely not me. I'd rather be the person who pays to enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor, and then either whines and complains or praises and patronizes said worker. Those of you who make great (or crappy) games or anything to do with them, my hat's off to you, but the grass is greener on my side of the fence, or is it?

I've always kind of wanted to get into the gaming Biz. Actually, all the guys I know have told me to go for it... They say it'll be easy for me, cuz I have the whole “being a girl thing” going for me. Whatever that means.

Anyway, what really did it for me was Psychonauts. I want to work at Double Fine... or Sucker Punch, they're pretty cool too...

But yes, Double Fine would be my dream job.

The only thing is though, I can't stand Maya! I hate it with the intensity of a thousand burning suns! But I suppose I'd just have to get over that. Or maybe I'll get lucky, and my wonderful personality will just win them over. Whatever...

"What do I plan to do about it?"

Well, I'm getting my associates in art as I type this. After that, and after my grandmother no longer requires my care, I'll probably be off to the Institute of Chicago where I can get some more learin' done. I love me some art learn'.

I guess the only thing left to do after that is to apply and hope for the best... oh yeah, and move to Cali.

UGH, but it's so far away from home and family. I think I’d have to make some friends in San Fran first…

Definitely want to work for the game industry.

I'm actually attending a "video game" college (Art Institute of Orange County) just so i can get closer to that goal.

Topic aside, i had a question for anyone at the Double Fine team.

I'm currently working on the final for my Survey of the Game Industry and i need to do a short interview with someone

working or previously working at a game company. If anyone could get back to me I'd greatly appreciate it (and sorry about

asking for this on your forums, didn't know how else to besides driving up to San Francisco). In addition, I'd be willing to buy a "butt-load" of T shirts, pending on how much that measurement comes to in shirt form.

Definitely want to work for the game industry.

I'm actually attending a "video game" college (Art Institute of Orange County) just so i can get closer to that goal.

Topic aside, i had a question for anyone at the Double Fine team.

I'm currently working on the final for my Survey of the Game Industry and i need to do a short interview with someone

working or previously working at a game company. If anyone could get back to me I'd greatly appreciate it (and sorry about

asking for this on your forums, didn't know how else to besides driving up to San Francisco). In addition, I'd be willing to buy a "butt-load" of T shirts, pending on how much that measurement comes to in shirt form.

im busting my ass working on 3d in hopes to work with him but i dont know man im going to do three things.

1: Get a plain job and keep learning 3d

2: get into a "Meh" collage get my degree in 3d modeling and animation while holding that job.

3: once iv made a super portfolio im going to email Tim Schafer with it wait about two weeks, then if i have a answer i will accept it yes or no. but if i dont get a answer by two weeks im going to hop into my car with my pal and go to cali road trip style, find DF building walk inside ask the guard to page big guy Tim. then i will be extreamly psyched to meet him and possibly die from a heart attack but if i live then i will show him my port and see if he is willing to hire me. if he says no ill understand and i will drown my sadness in boca's from japan town

I want to work in the gaming industry!

But only if I can work for a company like DF.

Also, I have no programming skills.

I make good coffee, though, and sometimes I accidentally have ideas that might be good.

Tim is creative. He can make up a position for me to fill. Then we'll party.

But no, seriously, if I thought I had the time to learn programming, I would consider getting into it, but it's a bit of a late start at this point, and there is never any guarantee you're going to work for a place you like. I know that you can be hired to write story and dialogue for games, and I'd jump at an opportunity like that, but it seems you can't get hired into a gaming company on just that (darn), and I could always find out that I'd be more terrible at it than I expect.

It would be great to work for the industry, as long as conditions were perfect, I guess is what I'm saying. =D

I'm aspiring to work in the video game industry, yes. Don't know what exactly (designer, programmer, etc.) but I plan to do something of the sort. I mean, come on. It's video games, for Pete's sake. Who wouldn't want to make video games (besides those jocks in the gym under the illusion that every one of them is going to make it to the NFL)?

I am working towards working in the video game industry. I'm currently attending Sheridan College's Animation program. My plan is to prepare a nice portfolio to seduce potential employers with, one of things I'm doing for my portfolio is making a design pack during my free time to use as portfolio material for conceptual artist jobs. My fall back plan is to do 3d models or animation, and to prepare for that I am learning Zbrush as well as maya. Heres hoping it pays off in the end.

I am working towards working in the video game industry. I'm currently attending Sheridan College's Animation program. My plan is to prepare a nice portfolio to seduce potential employers with, one of things I'm doing for my portfolio is making a design pack during my free time to use as portfolio material for conceptual artist jobs. My fall back plan is to do 3d models or animation, and to prepare for that I am learning Zbrush as well as maya. Heres hoping it pays off in the end.

I am sure it shall if you put that much work into your concepts and have a real passion for the work; good luck with it all anyway. ;P

I'm sure most of you guys already know about this site, but I thought I would share it encase there are some that don't know about it.

http://www.igda.org/

Its the international game developers association, their is tones of good stuff on there and its frequently used by people in the industry. Lots of good info. Hope it helps.

I saw Jason Della Rocca doing a talk once at Develop in Brighton. He is so cool :) he drew his presentation as he was speaking, doodling little graphs and stuff... I remember thinking that some day I should steal that idea, because it was fun and helped to engage the audience lots.

He said a lot of very interesting stuff, mostly about how Dev studios tend to create unhappy and unsafe environments for their staff through common practices such as fixed term contracts, lack of time invested into properly integrating people into their teams, lack of 'fun budgets', not paying people well enough, not providing enough benefits, forcing people to work overtime... that kind of thing. They do it because they think it saves money, right? I've been in that kind of company before in fact. But he pointed out that the cost of recruiting and training new people to fill in the gap left by high staff turnovers, and the loss of quality in the overall work makes it ultimately cost the developer more, in lots of ways.

I can't say it as well as he did. But you get the gist. It's something I really believe in. It was cool to hear him say it better than me ¬¬

That same week at Develop, I told one of my friends about a job opening in a studio that I knew of. He laughed and said that he would never, ever work for that studio because of the horror stories he'd heard, about excessive unpaid overtime, unfair dismissal, low pay, an atmosphere totally devoid of creativity, etc. It made me think... imagine the kind of people that studio employs. It must only be able to scrape the very bottom of the barrel for employees... people with no talent, or people who are desperate for work... because nobody in their right mind would consider working for them in that kind of environment. In contrast, think about the level of excellence set by companies like Double Fine, which is obviously a company that promotes a creative and happy atmosphere... and it shows.

On one project that I worked on before, there was a lot of overtime involved, but we had the most excellent Producer. She made sure that we were well-treated, our work was respected, and made it feel like the team coming together for one last push before the end of the project, instead of making it feel like we were prisoners to our work. She got us enthused about it. Before that though, I'd worked on a project where I was made to feel like my overtime, even though there was less of it, was obligatory. It was miserable. Simply having one person try to keep staff morale high makes such a huge difference.

Er... I have no idea why I went off on that little rant. I think I was talking about how I love Jason della Rocca for saying all that stuff I just said, but better, and more convincingly because he has been around for years, whereas I'm still just a baby :)

There are plenty of opportunities here on the West Coast from Napa to LA.

I have friends and other people looking to get into the market which is not easy to penetrate.

Seems like the old days of tech and corporate culture are haunting.

Who do you know?

I would be willing to pay the right price (real bucks, not second life $)

to anyone who could help me find an inroads, contacts

so I could help people who are seriously trying to land a video game job.

I help the Art Institute and City College here with graphic arts working to

establish internships. I am looking at helping others make money.

Cost of living here is a killer.

Can not see finding a video game job as an intern. I need to make money too

for myself and friends.

Tons of people looking who have 3D,2D, scripting,programming, music,animation,

skills just waiting.....

Working in the game industry is my goal, but first there is a need for edumacation. And maybe survival of a few operation. But that's minor details. The biggest problem for me would be my Norwegianess. Dreadful condition that you get at birth, and makes a lot of 14-18 year old Americans with bad grammar hate you for typing better than them.

Hello there, a newbie to the forum I be, so thought id say high by polluting as many forums with forum-related stuff.

In this case (although no-one, hopefully, knows me), lol that's the first reason i found out this awesome website! Due to looking for companies to apply to: I was lucky i found Double Fine (lol couldn't remember the name...), but after i realised they made Psychonauts, then before that the mighty overlord around here did Grim Fandango, then Monkey Island stuff (btw, in case it wasn't clear, i love em all), how could i not try (eventually)?

So yea, recently graduated from games-related course, now looking for job-i dont care what, i shall clean toilets, so long as upon them have, and will, sat/sit video/computer games industry people!! "whispers to self" i may be able to analyse the remains therein to find useful game-related information...

In the long run, i shall become a Game Designer/scriptwriter, up to something like monsieur overlord here (would that be an Overlord Game Designer?), and hey, who knows, perhaps one day have my own small company lol!!

I've toyed with Japanese/English game translation. It's not an especially easy job to get, though--translating books and comic books seems much easier (unless you count charity ROM translation :roll: )

I love to play videogames, and the idea of making them would be really exciting... but I don't think I'll ever work in game design. The videogame industry seem too high finance for me :shut:

Sign in to follow this