Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
letharion

[Suggestion] Dungeon keeper style simple room construction

For some rooms, for example life support and the new gardens, it doesn't make a great deal of sense (or add much interesting gameplay) to need to individually place each recycler or hydroponics culture.

For these rooms, it would be nice to have an (optional?) ability to just zone the room, and the relevant content would automatically be placed, much like it worked on dungeon keeper. (And probably other games, can anyone think of a less ancient title?)

Air locks and residences on the other hands seems like rooms that are more fitting to be built manually, since it can make more sense to customize the layout for these.

For some rooms, for example life support and the new gardens, it doesn't make a great deal of sense (or add much interesting gameplay) to need to individually place each recycler or hydroponics culture.

For these rooms, it would be nice to have an (optional?) ability to just zone the room, and the relevant content would automatically be placed, much like it worked on dungeon keeper. (And probably other games, can anyone think of a less ancient title?)

Air locks and residences on the other hands seems like rooms that are more fitting to be built manually, since it can make more sense to customize the layout for these.

I do not like this suggestion, no need for simplification, I love the current system, it is much better then your idea. It is very theme hospitalish, and DOES allow for more interesting gameplay and roleplaying and story telling.

Your idea is way too simplified, and this game is meant to be a dwarf fortress in space, simplification is definitely NOT what we want,.

Plus i like the freedom to customize my own rooms, and you need to build things like fire extinguishers food replicators and alarms and things like that in these rooms, not just the life support machines. You also have to worry about your botanists/Technicians work loads.

Having the computer place these would not only be annoying, it would probably result in premature base death.

How would the computer know where to put doors where to put fire extinguishers, where to put food replicators, where to put alarms, where to put pointless and expensive yet nice plants, how many life support machines to make. Your idea would take far too much control away from the player and would reduce the quality of game-play drastically.

From a programming standpoint, having the computer design these rooms without screwing up your technicians/botanists workloads would take away computing power, think if you had 5 life support room and 3 gardens, full to the brim with life support machines and botany labs, and the computer has to check every millisecond the ammount of people for each of tehse rooms and adapt, it would definitely start lagging.

Your idea would ruin this game.

sorry if i sound harsh, but I really don't like this idea and i am sure everybody else would agree with me.

I do not want this beautiful game to turn into a watered down simplified husk of what it has the potential to be.

I've had this disappointment before, with spore and many other games DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO THIS GAME.

Once room building is simplified, how long until we have no control over the placement of ALL objects, how long until they say 'screw this' to even worrying about the amount of oxygen recyclers. How long until this game is completely ruined.

Sorry

No, just no.

Perhaps I expressed myself badly.

I do not like this suggestion, no need for simplification, I love the current system, it is much better then your idea. It is very theme hospitalish, and DOES allow for more interesting gameplay and roleplaying and story telling.

Your idea is way too simplified, and this game is meant to be a dwarf fortress in space, simplification is definitely NOT what we want,.

There is still room for useful simplification. For example, there is the ability to build a "Room", by clicking once, dragging, and having both floor and walls placed into what is generally a useful configuration. If there was no use for the type of simplification I'm suggesting, then we should also be placing each tile of floor individually, and then when the floor was finished, we'd have to add the walls, again, one tile at a time.

I assume you don't suggest that needing to do what I described above that would be a "feature". I believe that would be tedious and unnecessary, and I don't see that it adds any value. However, being able to add individual tiles is still useful, and is not prevented by the convenience feature. (They actually even rely on the same feature implementation, one simply avoids dragging the mouse pointer outside of the starting tile in one scenario)

Plus i like the freedom to customize my own rooms, and you need to build things like fire extinguishers food replicators and alarms and things like that in these rooms, not just the life support machines. You also have to worry about your botanists/Technicians work loads.

Much like the ability to place a "room" doesn't prevent you from placing a single floor tile, the feature I suggest doesn't (necessarily) have any effect at all on the things you mention above.

Having the computer place these would not only be annoying, it would probably result in premature base death.

How would the computer know where to put doors where to put fire extinguishers, where to put food replicaters, where to put alarms, where to put pointless and expensive yet nice plants, how many life support machines to make. Your idea would take far too much control away from the player and would reduce the quality of game-play drastically.

I don't expect the computer to do all the work, just make the part that is repetitive, easier. I mention recycler or hydroponics culture. in my post. While I don't feel that this feature would be need to be limited to those items alone, those are the two primary ones that, in the current version of the game, don't really gain anything from being individually placed.

I hope I have explained why I disagree.

sorry if i sound harsh, but I really don't like this idea and i am sure everybody else would agree with me.

While it takes significantly more than this simple disagreement to offend me, consider that if you need to end your post like that, maybe you should reword the post, not apologize for it. :)

I do not want this beautiful game to turn into a watered down simplified husk of what it has the potential to be.

I've had this disappointment before, with spore and many other games DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO THIS GAME.

I agree, Spore, Supreme Commander and Black & White all come to mind. I don't feel like my suggestion qualifies as game ruining though. If implemented the way I hope, it wouldn't even noticeable change the game, it would just be a small convenience, not remove any depth what so ever.

Perhaps I expressed myself badly.

There is still room for useful simplification. For example, there is the ability to build a "Room", by clicking once, dragging, and having both floor and walls placed into what is generally a useful configuration. If there was no use for the type of simplification I'm suggesting, then we should also be placing each tile of floor individually, and then when the floor was finished, we'd have to add the walls, again, one tile at a time.

I assume you don't suggest that needing to do what I described above that would be a "feature". I believe that would be tedious and unnecessary, and I don't see that it adds any value. However, being able to add individual tiles is still useful, and is not prevented by the convenience feature. (They actually even rely on the same feature implementation, one simply avoids dragging the mouse pointer outside of the starting tile in one scenario)

Much like the ability to place a "room" doesn't prevent you from placing a single floor tile, the feature I suggest doesn't (necessarily) have any effect at all on the things you mention above.

How would the computer know where to put doors where to put fire extinguishers, where to put food replicaters, where to put alarms, where to put pointless and expensive yet nice plants, how many life support machines to make. Your idea would take far too much control away from the player and would reduce the quality of game-play drastically.

I don't expect the computer to do all the work, just make the part that is repetitive, easier. I mention recycler or hydroponics culture. in my post. While I don't feel that this feature would be need to be limited to those items alone, those are the two primary ones that, in the current version of the game, don't really gain anything from being individually placed.

I hope I have explained why I disagree.

While it takes significantly more than this simple disagreement to offend me, consider that if you need to end your post like that, maybe you should reword the post, not apologize for it. :)

I agree, Spore, Supreme Commander and Black & White all come to mind. I don't feel like my suggestion qualifies as game ruining though. If implemented the way I hope, it wouldn't even noticeable change the game, it would just be a small convenience, not remove any depth what so ever.

I still completely disagree, i should be able to place my life support and things of that nature where I want to place them, i do not want to be forced to demolish what the computer places to place what i want.

This feature is pointless, how does this help the game in any way

The only way i would agree to this is if it is a separate room tool that does that. I still want to be able to place everything in my base where i want them. It allows for much more customization and is an all around better option.

This idea is horrible, why are you defending it..why do you even want this.. do you not like building your own rooms..if you don't like that play dungeon keeper not this game. I'm sorry but NO.

Yes you do gain by placing these:

What if i only want this amount of oxygen recyclers in this room, but i still want it large, your idea would prevent this.

What if i wanted to limit my placement of things so that technicians don't have to work as much, your idea would prevent this.

What if i wanted to use a life support room as a wide hallway without any actual oxygen recyclers in it (or only one) because i like the design, your idea would prevent this.

What if i wanted to have only one plant in my botany lab or i only wanted them to be on the edge of the wall, not in the middle, your idea would prevent this.

What if i wanted to use a botany lab as a meeting area and add only a food replicator, some plants and TVs to it, (no hydroponics cultures) your idea would also prevent this.

What if i wanted people to enter my base in a life support room, and make that room into a nice little hang out spot with a tv and a few plants without a oxygen recycler, your idea would prevent this.

I think you know where i'm going with this.

There is still room for useful simplification. For example, there is the ability to build a “Room”, by clicking once, dragging, and having both floor and walls placed into what is generally a useful configuration. If there was no use for the type of simplification I’m suggesting, then we should also be placing each tile of floor individually, and then when the floor was finished, we’d have to add the walls, again, one tile at a time.

You say in order to not have this we have to go in and create tiles one by one and walls one by one?

Why should we punish people for trying to be creative.

also you zone rooms AFTER they are built, so this idea wouldn't work anyway.

Also what do you mean by this.

There is still room for useful simplification.

if this is the fact that your room tool is separate from a normal room creating tool which still doesn't auto-place, i have a tiny bit more support for it.Though in my humble opinion it is still a horrid idea.

I am going to stop feeding this thread so it dies. I do not like this idea. I'm sure many people would agree with me.

Good day.

I don't think it would be as bad as you make it sound UntrustedLife, I think he is just suggesting a sort of 'fast zone build' tool, that would be completely OPTIONAL and not at all a forced set up. it would function just the room build tool does now but, instead it would also automatically slap down some o2 recyclers build orders for you as well. of course if you'd rather place them yourself you just wouldn't pick that option. At this stage in the game though I don't see something like this being necessary, However in the future when there will probably be tons of other micro managing things to do, it might be handy.

I don't think it would be as bad as you make it sound UntrustedLife, I think he is just suggesting a sort of 'fast zone build' tool, that would be completely OPTIONAL and not at all a forced set up. it would function just the room build tool does now but, instead it would also automatically slap down some o2 recyclers build orders for you as well. of course if you'd rather place them yourself you just wouldn't pick that option. At this stage in the game though I don't see something like this being necessary, However in the future when there will probably be tons of other micro managing things to do, it might be handy.

Yep. :)

Perhaps the topic title was poorly chosen.

You're completely right though, that at this stage, it adds rather little, with so few rooms available, there aren't that many clicks happening. (So the number of clicks this could save isn't that large) Still, given that it seems (to me) like the fundamental "Click and drag and we will place multiple X for you"-feature is already available, it might not require a whole lot of work.

I was beginning to get that ( I was wondering what he meant when he said a few things)

Also it was not only the topic title, what you were saying was very unclear.

I think it's better as it is. I mean remember, they are going to add a lot more items in the game and many rooms need more than one item to fully function. The reason DK worked was because each room only had one item to function for their rooms and all rooms HAD to be perfect squares in order to function.

Since SB lets you put down items you can make crazy shaped rooms and really use out the space you have.

I think it's better as it is. I mean remember, they are going to add a lot more items in the game and many rooms need more than one item to fully function. The reason DK worked was because each room only had one item to function for their rooms and all rooms HAD to be perfect squares in order to function.

Since SB lets you put down items you can make crazy shaped rooms and really use out the space you have.

exactly

Sign in to follow this