Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

ps4 and xbone launch thread

Neither console really have any games I'm interested in yet...

I'm skipping next gen for the time being until there is something that really interests me

I will probably get a PS4 in a year or so as it does seem to be the more powerful console and will probably hold up for a longer time and overall is probably a better console...

The Xbox one has failed to impress me and unless Rare announces Viva Pinata 3 I probably won't get one...

I'll stick to my PC, and a WiiU for them classic Nintendo games, maybe get a XBONE controller for the PC though.

I won't get a new console for at least 2 years, or when prices are around 300-350. Won't be getting an Xbox, for obvious reasons. Not even a new Halo will convince me, after the turd that was Halo 4. I might get a PS4 if it has a decent library of games.

In the past I have always had an Xbox and have never really had an interest in Sony or any of the Playstation exclusives but at this point I've lost interest in a lot of the Xbox exclusives and the PS4 seems to be better value...

Halo 4 put me off of Halo...

I've never really liked Gears of War...

Fable is becoming an MMO...

Peggle isn't really a system seller...

In the end the only thing that is still attracting me to Xbox is Rare but they seem to have been house trained into the Kinect Sports company...

I will be honest if Rare announces Viva Pinata 3 they've won the console war as Viva Pinata is part of my trinity of video gaming but other than that I find it difficult to even consider buying an Xbox One...

In the past I have always had an Xbox and have never really had an interest in Sony or any of the Playstation exclusives but at this point I've lost interest in a lot of the Xbox exclusives and the PS4 seems to be better value...

Halo 4 put me off of Halo...

I've never really liked Gears of War...

Fable is becoming an MMO...

Peggle isn't really a system seller...

In the end the only thing that is still attracting me to Xbox is Rare but they seem to have been house trained into the Kinect Sports company...

I will be honest if Rare announces Viva Pinata 3 they've won the console war as Viva Pinata is part of my trinity of video gaming but other than that I find it difficult to even consider buying an Xbox One...

part of my decision is based on the fact that i can get a discount on xbox stuff, but i legitimately do think the new kinect has a lot of potential and cool stuff will happen for it. it feels a lot more innovative then ps4 slapping a little trackpad on the controller.

yeah i have a pc too and we all know steam is eventually going to crush little puny consoles but for now can we just enjoy the excitement of new things?

Sure. But right now there isn't much more these things can do than exist and be new. So we don't care.

ugh you are no fun

I currently have a grand total of 7 consoles on my shelf, 3 handhelds, a tablet that can emulate everything up the PSP and around a thousand games that I have yet to actually get round to playing.

I DO NOT NEED MORE CONSOLES.

part of my decision is based on the fact that i can get a discount on xbox stuff, but i legitimately do think the new kinect has a lot of potential and cool stuff will happen for it. it feels a lot more innovative then ps4 slapping a little trackpad on the controller.

It can do a whole lot of spying on you, stripping your consumer rights, and making you pay way too much for way too little.

It can do a whole lot of spying on you, stripping your consumer rights, and making you pay way too much for way too little.

you can unplug the kinect if you're paranoid and you can still trade your games if you want. god you telltale guys are so cynical.

you can unplug the kinect if you're paranoid and you can still trade your games if you want. god you telltale guys are so cynical.

The system is designed from the ground up for always-on and single activation of games. What reason do you have to believe they won't flip that switch back on once they've got a big installed base? It would be possible to re-enable it with a simple mandatory firmware update. They'd just pitch it as having "additional features."

part of my decision is based on the fact that i can get a discount on xbox stuff

wait 2-3 years, get an even bigger discount, smaller failure rate on newer models, more HDD space so you're not wasting money on buying another hDD for those mandatory installs. and a large library of games to chose from. launch games will be cheaper as well.

Instead of restrictions, microsoft should've said: "buy from our digital marketplace and you get discounts/extra ingame stuff" or whatever.

The system is designed from the ground up for always-on and single activation of games. What reason do you have to believe they won't flip that switch back on once they've got a big installed base? It would be possible to re-enable it with a simple mandatory firmware update. They'd just pitch it as having "additional features."

because e3 was a massive pr clusterfuck for them and they're smart enough to not do it again. besides sony put this in their tos so it's not like it's any different for them. they could both flip the switch just as easily. if we should be getting worked up about something it's how valve won't let us resell our steam games.

part of my decision is based on the fact that i can get a discount on xbox stuff

wait 2-3 years, get an even bigger discount, smaller failure rate on newer models, more HDD space so you're wating money on buying another hDD for those mandatory installs. and a large library of games to chose from. launch games will be cheaper as well.

Instead of restrictions, microsoft should've said: "buy from our digital marketplace and you get discounts/extra ingame stuff" or whatever.

well obviously if you wait 3 years shit is always going to be cheaper. that doesn't make early adopters idiots.

They don't have to. Once you spent 500$ on a hunk of garbage you are committed.

ur mom's a hunk of garbage >:(

My main problem with the Xbox One compared to PS4 is really the price difference...

I bought a Kinect and gave it a good chance but it was really bad at interfaces and was just an overcomplicated Wii in practice...

I wouldn't buy the Kinect again even if it has been improved and I don't really want to buy something I have no real intention of using...

Kinectimals was pretty good though...

because e3 was a massive pr clusterfuck for them and they're smart enough to not do it again

They have lost a battle but can still win the war. They will keep pushing their restrictive DRM over time, and the dumb consumer will keep buying it.

because e3 was a massive pr clusterfuck for them and they're smart enough to not do it again. besides sony put this in their tos so it's not like it's any different for them. they could both flip the switch just as easily. if we should be getting worked up about something it's how valve won't let us resell our steam games.

But you know that deep down they really want to fuck you hard and think it would be good for you. I don't trust microsoft because they don't trust or anybody that would be willing to buy their product. Also I imagine xbox live is going to get another price in a year or so.

But you know that deep down they really want to fuck you hard and think it would be good for you. I don't trust microsoft because they don't trust or anybody that would be willing to buy their product. Also I imagine xbox live is going to get another price in a year or so.

Yeah! Fuck them for running a business!!!

I think the issue people in the battle of Sony vs. Microsoft has to do with whether they make the consumer feel important. The same is echoed with Steam vs. Origin (or Valve vs. EA). Everyone knows that EA is notorious for treating developers like slaves and legit consumers like pirates.

If Microsoft is not making the consumer feel important, then that's a serious mistake. It doesn't matter if they're /actually/ malicious or not.

It's not about business. They wanted to take absolutely every single piece of control away from customers and claimed it was the "future" to be a $500 indefinite rental machine and said people were overreacting when they didn't want that.

anyone getting one?

Well, eventually. But I'm not to hyped right now. Considering what's happening with indies, kickstarter and distribution channels, PC gaming feels like the place to be. Some exclusives will eventually get me hooked, but the console itself feels like more like an extension of what I already have with the PS3.

Killzone, Knack and CoD: Ghosts are not games that will draw my attention.

It's not about business. They wanted to take absolutely every single piece of control away from customers and claimed it was the "future" to be a $500 indefinite rental machine and said people were overreacting when they didn't want that.

I know what you're saying, but it's no where near as bad as companies like google and facebook, people are overreacting.

As long as there are multiple companies fighting for complete control, no one will gain complete control.

You guys realize both companies just want your money at the end of the day, right? I'm planning on getting a PS4 first because it's cheaper, and they're gonna have some Ratchet & Clanks on it at some point. But I plan on getting an Xbox One eventually since I want to play Crimson Dragon, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive. You should make your decision based on the games. Not because you think one company wants to screw you over when they both do.

I'll get both.

BECAUSE I'M CRAZY.

I'm waiting till the 'slim' versions come out with all the inevitable hardware problems fixed.

You guys realize both companies just want your money at the end of the day, right? I'm planning on getting a PS4 first because it's cheaper, and they're gonna have some Ratchet & Clanks on it at some point. But I plan on getting an Xbox One eventually since I want to play Crimson Dragon, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive. You should make your decision based on the games. Not because you think one company wants to screw you over when they both do.
It's was almost spelled out that that is what they wanted though. I don't care whether sony just wants my money or not, they didn't go about it by imposing restrictions and that alone should be enough for me to chose them over the company that was going to tell me when I can and cannot play. If there is two stores by my house I am going to go to the one that won't come over to my house and ask for a proof of purchase for all my stuff even though they both want my money. I agree about the games though, which is why I even want to get a new console in the first place. FF15 (If it's good), KH3 and other JRPGs from companies like atlus and arc systems are the reason I even want to get a new console in the first place because those games never come out on PC anyway.

That's fair enough, but yelling at hot for deciding to get an Xbox One because of things Microsoft might possibly do in the future maybe is ridiculous. Not that you specifically did that. That just seems to be what's happening to him while I skim through the thread.

I'M YELLING!

umm...

I'M YELLING AT NO ONE IN PARTICULAR!

But no, I'm not ever getting an XBone. Because I don't want one.

Sign in to follow this