Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untrustedlife

Succession Game- In progress

At some point do any of you awesome people want to do a succession game of spacebase df9?

The idea of a succession game , is that we assign people a date to play, (after the previous person) we all write about what happened while we were working on the base in our own posts witha bit of roleplay flair, and eventually we have an awesome story.

Not to mention the sheer amount of extra players the game will get by the time we are into the game. (people will read and know the game is awesome and buy it)

Term Limit

7 'days' per person

Rules:

Note these may change:

#1 No save Scumming.

if you die you die.

#2 (more of a guideline we may change this) Once our base hits 0 people we classify it as dead Unless it happens early on, (first 2 or 3 successions) then we wait for someone new to enter the base we treat it as a 'i found these logs, how terrible..but the base is still livable, we can fix it(eg, we found a darelict, looks like we could fix it up..etc), may have to end one persons turn prematurely so someone else can be the one who found the base.

[del]#3 (to prevent too much easiness) No mining out all the asteroids at once mine them out as you need them[/del]

#3 don't be a jerk and kill off your base on purpose, at least make it look like an accident (or preferably don't do it)

Optional rules:

You may name someone in the base after yourself (or after your character you are rping as) when you start (preferably the next migrant)

if your character wants to 'get out' by the time you are done (eg your character hates this base, its so evil and terrifying ahh i got to get out of here..etc.. you can just get rid of that name and come up with something random.

[del]Be sure to come up with an awesome daring escape story[/del] < You do not need to do that, but it would be awesome.

Current Players:

Untrustedlife

Zonr_0

machineluv

db48x

bbgun06

Sholin

Alephred

Relentless

Hell yes

Awesome, should we have any rules, what will be the term limit?

Great questions! I've mostly ignored the stardate so far - will have to watch it more closely so I can understand the passage of time ingame.

Succession games are also a new thing for me (the chronicle of a particularly infamous dwarven fortress piqued my interest). If you're experienced enough to provide some base rules, go ahead and suggest 'em.

Out of the gate, I'd probably suggest:

- No savescumming! Rise above failure, or perish utterly.

Which makes me wonder.. is there a sensible failure state?

Inquiry:

Identification of subject of conversation, Willis.

I'm googling as I type(slow pc. In fact it barely plays DF-9, but digression ensues..) what this game is. If someone could be so kind as to edify this yearling, it would most apreciated.

T/N "What you talkin' 'bout Willis?"

Hell yes

Awesome, should we have any rules, what will be the term limit?

Great questions! I've mostly ignored the stardate so far - will have to watch it more closely so I can understand the passage of time ingame.

Succession games are also a new thing for me (the chronicle of a particularly infamous dwarven fortress piqued my interest). If you're experienced enough to provide some base rules, go ahead and suggest 'em.

Out of the gate, I'd probably suggest:

- No savescumming! Rise above failure, or perish utterly.

Which makes me wonder.. is there a sensible failure state?

here are our rules so far:

No save Scumming.

if you die you die.

Once our base hits 0 people we classify it as dead Unless it happens early on, (first 2 or 3 successions) then we wait for someone new to enter the base we treat it as a 'i found these logs, how terrible..but the base is still livable, we can fix it(eg, we found a darelict, looks like we could fix it up..etc)

No mining out all the asteroids at once mine them out as you need them

looks good to me, we shouldn't be too limiting.

also No killing off the base on purpose, wheres the fun in that.

What policy should we have on base failures due to bugs?

Welp a base failure is a base failure. (we can't just restart with a new base, that is, unless we want to. I say we allow wait for immigrants if we do get bugged.)

(however,for now, we probably need more players.)

If we don't get any more we could just do it.

Will there be a savegame that is transferred from one person to the next? I don't fully understand how this works.

I believe that's how it's done, but as to the medium.. I dunno.

I think savegames are small enough to attach to forum posts at present, so that's an option? Anyone else who stumbles across the thread later on will be able to pick it up and load up the base for a look in-game too.

How about we make the term limit 2 years (in game time) Anybody object?

Hmm. I think 2 years might be a bit optimistic. I haven't really paid much attention to the date while playing, but looking back at the screenshots I took of my latest base, I'd say that a week might be best.

The first one that I took (to capture a bug I noticed) has a date of 9130.4. The latest one, which just shows the current state of my base, has a date of 9150.11. Both are attached.

I think that the date isn't a decimal number, but rather a day number and an hour; in my screenshots I see values up to 22 after the decimal so it's a pretty safe bet that it counts from 0 to 23.

2013-11-17_00001.jpg

2013-11-18_00009.jpg

2013-11-17_00001.jpg.554f14fa68ca20b9f29

2013-11-18_00009.jpg.1c304c6797c2ae14d70

Will there be a savegame that is transferred from one person to the next? I don't fully understand how this works.

The saved game is in a file called SpacebaseDF9AutoSave.sav, in a directory which varies from platform to platform. On Windows it's in your Documents folder under SpacebaseDF9 (I've been meaning to file a bug asking them to move it to the default save game folder on windows, actually).

To participate in the succession game you'll have to rename your current save file to something else, download the previous player's save game file, then place it where the game will find it. Then just launch the game and it'll be as if you had saved it yourself; you continue the base for your allotted time, then save and post the save file.

Note that the forum does not allow attachments of anything except images. We can rename the 'sav' file so that it has a 'png' extension and the forum will allow the upload, but unfortunately this makes it rather hard to download; you have to view the source of the page and get the url, since there won't be any visible download link in the post. A better choice may be to find a place to host the files that we can all upload to.

How about we make the term limit 2 years (in game time) Anybody object?

Hmm. I think 2 years might be a bit optimistic. I haven't really paid much attention to the date while playing, but looking back at the screenshots I took of my latest base, I'd say that a week might be best.

The first one that I took (to capture a bug I noticed) has a date of 9130.4. The latest one, which just shows the current state of my base, has a date of 9150.11. Both are attached.

I think that the date isn't a decimal number, but rather a day number and an hour; in my screenshots I see values up to 22 after the decimal so it's a pretty safe bet that it counts from 0 to 23.

Really?

How did i never catch that ...

oh well

so 7 'days' per person

All right guys, try to get as many peopel to join this as possible as i think we could start as early as this weekend.

Youtube 'video log's' and 'audio logs' are also ok (make sure you have a written version though.

You want to play?

I'll add you

we need people. (keeps variety up)

Count me in also!

You Got it ;)

1 or two more people and I think we are good to go.

Of course people could join in on the fun at any time during.

we can use dropbox to handle the save files.

(That or old fashioned email if you want that instead)

I try this out too, although I'm going to want to see how the first couple of successions go.

adding you as-well.

I decided to put off starting this until alpha 3 (they are adding a new random event, meteor strikes, would make it more interesting)

Of course we could always start early.

I expect more poeple to pick up on this as it happens and as they add new random events and things.

I'm okay to start whenever.. depending on the timing of Alpha 3. Starting before it hits is fine with me - can't wait for every upcoming feature before getting something underway.

A couple more questions first though:

How long in real time should players get to play their term?

A few days? A week? What works for you folks?

Will the order repeat 'till the base dies ?

Or do we go through the order a fixed number of times?

I'm okay to start whenever.. depending on the timing of Alpha 3. Starting before it hits is fine with me - can't wait for every upcoming feature before getting something underway.

A couple more questions first though:

How long in real time should players get to play their term?

A few days? A week? What works for you folks?

Will the order repeat 'till the base dies ?

Or do we go through the order a fixed number of times?

I was thinking we give players a week , and unless (at this point) they have told us why they can't do it right now. we move on to the next person.

We , in good succession game fashion keep playing until the base dies (But if it takes a long time (the number of which we would have to decide together)) then we end it. I expect more players to keep asking to join as we progress so hopefully no one would get a second turn.

I would love to get in on the Succession game action.

The Chronicles of Boatmurdered had me rapt. Alas, despite the help of strategy guides, and wikis, and several valiant attempts, I was unable to get past my issues with the interface.

I have been playing SB DF-9 obsessively since puchasing it, however, and I have stories to share. Stories of fires, and monsters, and suffocation, ah, good times.

Sign in to follow this