Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
desepticon

What does a properly functioning base look like?

For the life of me I can't seem to get a base that functions properly. My people always get super sad and then never do anything. Below is a list of things I have done on my latest base in order to attempt a good base.

- Multiple airlocks to keep congestion down

- Redundant 02 Production in case some go down (they all seem to fail simultaneously)

- More than enough beds for everyone

- Well decorated in every room with monitors, plants, bedroom furniture and stuff for the bar

- I had five 5-star techs (I built them up one at a time)

- 2 bars, 2 fridges, 2 stoves and 4 or 5 tables

- 8 planters in my hydroponics room.

- Plenty of fire extinguishers

- Some chefs, security, builders, etc (no one started off under 3 stars)

Everything goes kablooey with oxygen like clockwork. At first my builders were able to keep up with demolishing and replacing broken 02 producers but eventually they became too sad and stopped doing anything. I cant seem to make them happy. Is anyone here able to build a successful base? And if so, how?

Tables?

Food replicators, i'll give you a pic of my self sustaining base, so you can see

?ACT=36&fid=58&aid=3098_eYZriHDquO8bGfZbxok2&board_id=1

here is my updated base where almost everyone is ecstatic

?ACT=36&fid=58&aid=3101_k1xcMBIxGo7tIXGTs2IT&board_id=1

No idea how the heck your base would fail if it does have everything you say it does, show us it and show us some of your people so we can assess your base.

All of my oxygen tanks are at about 90% constantly, and usually most of the people in my base are very happy. (and since i updated this they are almost all ecstatic ( I have more bartenders and tables and stuff now.)

Maybe you are lying , because i have no idea why it would fail. do you still have 5 techs, maybe you should hire more, did alot of people die recently? do you have monitors in every room? Do you have bartenders? How good are your bartenders?

You should keep everybody working or they become sad because they aren't fulfilling their duty. (deconstruct some darelicts and mine some asteroids and they become happy again)

Capture2.png

Capture2.png.34d162aea4fded7f29313f25203

Okay heres a pic after everything went awry. My main bedrooms were all decked out and I was trying to get scrap for the rest but otherwise my base seemed to be well laid out.

kwf1.png

link to bigger pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xrrfb60trihh18/Screenshot 2013-11-16 19.35.32.png

(couldn't get this one to embed properly. In the spaces its suposed to be "percent symbol"20. For some reason it wont show here.)

edit:fixed pic

Okay heres a pic after everything went awry. My main bedrooms were all decked out and I was trying to get scrap for the rest but otherwise my base seemed to be well laid out.

Screenshot 2013-11-16 19.35.32.png

cannot see the pic

This is my current base which seems to be going rather well. My population is actually pretty evenly split now between each job type (except for a bare-minimum number of miners).

2013-11-16_00001.jpg

2013-11-16_00001.jpg.18c93924346398dc8c8

This is my current base which seems to be going rather well. My population is actually pretty evenly split now between each job type (except for a bare-minimum number of miners).

Whoa! Over 70 spacemen!

You know, I see one main difference between our bases and yours, we both have our seeds in our base..theirs no way that has an effect..does it.

Hmm, (I have 37, and i'm 40 years below rrg.. I'll have more eventually..)

Put monitors in the life support room, otherwise (with that amount of life support) someone will be sad, also was anyone going to the pub, there is a bug where pubs sometimes don't function properly) You had no food replicators, sometimes there is no room in a pub (espcially a small one like that) Food reps are very important

Also you should have added security alarms so you could keep people away from burning rooms.

Its hard to see because everything is on fire and whatnot but I did have several monitors (and plants) in the life support zones near the 02 producers. And yes, they were going to the pub, but most of them just seemed to stand there while only a couple ate even though I had food growing and being put in the fridge and two 5 star bartenders and two 3 star bartenders.

Its hard to see because everything is on fire and whatnot but I did have several monitors (and plants) in the life support zones near the 02 producers. And yes, they were going to the pub, but most of them just seemed to stand there while only a couple ate even though I had food growing and being put in the fridge and two 5 star bartenders and two 3 star bartenders.

if people are starving they become upset, you needed some food replicators.If anyone starved to death who was friends with someone who didnt, obviously they become upset tehy also complain to others, upsetting them.

I see a classic tantrum spiral here.

i had 2 in the pub (reduced it to one when things started breaking in an attempt at triage). Im going to try and attach a bigger image directly to the boards here.

Screenshot 2013-11-16 19.35.32.png

578d0049761aa_Screenshot2013-11-1619.35.

i had 2 in the pub (reduced it to one when things started breaking in an attempt at triage)

hmm...

I had to put an extra food replicator in the dorm room in my base because people were starving.

maybe a dev can help you.

Some things I've discovered so far:

-botanists just seem to drop off food at the nearest fridge. So you need a separate garden for each bar

-You don't really need that many botanists though since the last minor update

-You need a lot more bartenders than you used to, and be careful about putting down too many pubs or tables (having too many tables, not enough bartenders doesn't increase efficiency at all, instead more people just get stuck waiting for food as their needs slowly tick down). I think I have about 15 bartenders right now.

-There's a bug were bartenders get stuck waiting to be served at their own bar and the system gets jammed. Watch out for that.

And, as always, try not to let tons of people die. Or pick a location with close warpgate proximity so you can replace your insane population quickly.

it's not the prettiest base around but, it functions pretty well. everyone's morale stays pretty high for the most part, even with fairly little entertainment decorations dotted around. I don't know for sure what the secret to success is but, If I had to guess I'd say it lays within the pub, making sure your crew gets a steady supply of booze and cooked grub seems to keep everyone happy and everything running like clockwork.

Also, as you can see I have a complete absurd amount of technicians to keep everything in tip'top shape. far more than I probably actually need but, it makes me feel safe..

DF-9 BaseTwo.png

DF-9 BaseTwo Roster.png

578d00498af20_DF-9BaseTwo.png.d11ec95632

578d00499d1bf_DF-9BaseTwoRoster.png.3591

Okay so I gave it another go, this time even adding more Monitors and plants. Still went all FUBAR. Maybe I have to many bars/barstools?

Screenshot 2013-11-16 22.05.54.png

578d0049b6be0_Screenshot2013-11-1622.05.

One thing I learned from rrgg was to keep all of your oxygen recyclers close together if possible. I've had remarkably better success with this (even in alpha 1c). I have 1 bar with 6 tables and seem to do okay, but just make sure you have enough bartenders (I have 4).

Okay so I gave it another go, this time even adding more Monitors and plants. Still went all FUBAR. Maybe I have to many bars/barstools?

You are playing on alpha 2A right?

Me thinks I see a door glitch

*shifty eyes*

Im on Alpha 2a but if your referring to the door to the upper bedroom, I locked that in a vain attempt to keep out some raiders that ended up killing a bunch of my crew.

Im on Alpha 2a but if your referring to the door to the upper bedroom, I locked that in a vain attempt to keep out some raiders that ended up killing a bunch of my crew.

All righty then, just checking. What you have here is quite the conundrom.

also:

If people die that upsets everyone as well..

Sign in to follow this