Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
db48x

technician efficiency

I was watching some techs earlier, to see how well they can do the job.

Observed a deeply-sad first-level tech fail to repair an oxygen recycler (non-destructively, no change in condition) and apparently abandon a maintenance job mid-way through (in favor of a series of drinks followed by sleep).

Observed a happy first-level tech fail to repair an oxygen recycler (non-destructively), and repair an oxygen recycler by 5%, 6%, and 7%. Alas, she got upgraded to second-level at some point and I didn't notice, so that's not so helpful to know.

Observed a sad third-level tech repair an oxygen recycler by 4%, 5%, 8%, and 10%, and a fire extinguisher by 11% (but see below).

Observed an ecstatic third-level tech repair an airlock door by 17% several times in a row.

Observed an ecstatic fourth-level tech repair an oxygen recycler, a bar, and a fire extinguisher by 20%, as well as fail to repair an oxygen recycler at all (non-destructively).

Observed an ecstatic fifth-level tech repair an oxygen recycler, a door, and an emergency alarm by 20%.

I suspect that the time it takes to do the job may vary by skill level.

Anecdotally, I'd say that low-morale techs do less actual work than high-morale techs, although it would take rather a lot more observation to say for sure. They also complain more about boredom on Spaceface.

I've noticed an interesting wrinkle too. When the tech starts the job, they store the current condition of the object, and probably determines the eventual outcome. Then after the job animation plays the condition is set to the calculated outcome. This means that if the recycler is at 50% when they start, and they repair it by 10% this time, then it will be at 60% when they finish, even if it decayed by 2% while they were working on it. That could be a bug, I suppose, but we can just pretend that nobody noticed.

This is of course Alpha 2a: "Taste Oddity".

I don't think they are efficient enough, but I see them as prolonging the life of the item. But if the item is "destroyed", they should ask to repair or replace for a discount.

I don't think they are efficient enough, but I see them as prolonging the life of the item. But if the item is "destroyed", they should ask to repair or replace for a discount.

I believe that techs work fine now,if they are deeply sad of course they won't do their jobs well, keep their morale up or your base will fail due to tantrum spiral. In my current base they keep everything at 90% or better (and I have 45 people and many many rooms and ittems) This is a realistic way of doing it.

1 star technicians are supposed to be bad at their jobs (devs want it this way)

1 star technicians are supposed to be bad at their jobs (devs want it this way)

Which makes sense, otherwise, what would the point be of having the levels in the first place. :)

Observed a deeply-sad fifth-level tech repair an oxygen recycler by 10% and 11%

Observed a deeply-sad fifth-level tech repair an oxygen recycler by 10% and 11%

what do you expect from someone who is deeply sad?

are they doing too well?

I'm confused, please explain?

Observed a very-sad fifth-level tech repair an oxygen recycler by 7% and 10%.

Observed a kinda-happy second-level tech fail to repair an oxygen recycler (non-destructively), and repair an oxygen recycler by 5%, 6%, 8% and 9%.

Observed a kinda-happy third-level tech repair an oxygen recycler by 7%.

Hey all,

my two cents to the technician thread. Repairs are done well and quickly, but for some reason - they do not do any maintenance on airlocks and doors in adjacent rooms - anyone else encounter this?

I've certainly seen them maintain doors, but I'm pretty sure that they give priority to oxygen recyclers. You'll notice them maintain doors especially when the equipment in your base is in good condition, and you open up a derelict that's been sitting around for a while. It's recyclers and doors will have failed (even if the thing is completely empty), so your techs will rush over to repair them.

Also, since I didn't mention my motivation for this post, I'm merely curious about the relative effects of morale versus experience. I hypothesized that they both have about the same effect on the change in condition that any repair attempt can produce.

I took two shortcuts which reduce the power of any analysis we might do (basically the size of the effects we can observe). First, I conflated the repairs of different types of items, so I don't know if techs find it easier to repair some items over others. I also did not count the frequency of each repair amount, so I don't know if the distribution is linear or gaussian or something else less likely. I can say however that the amount of the repair varies, and that both morale and experience effect the range of possible outcomes. Also, I haven't yet observed anyone break anything, so the data is obviously incomplete. I think I can safely say that there is a cap of 20% for any single repair, however.

db48x, the engineer in me wants this on a spread sheet….

Hey all,

my two cents to the technician thread. Repairs are done well and quickly, but for some reason - they do not do any maintenance on airlocks and doors in adjacent rooms - anyone else encounter this?

I've noticed they won't touch any of my doors or extinguishers until they are fully broken. I think that's also the same for food replicators, i find this very annoying.

I also noticed that they will only fix doors once they reach 0%. I saw an ecstatic, 5-star technician fix a door five times, bringing it to 99%. I was afraid that a 0% airlock door would leak (suck people into space) but it didn't.

On a related note, now that I have several 5-star bartenders, people seem to comment more about the quality of the food/drinks on spaceface. I wonder if better food makes them hungry less often?

I think technicians are used incorrectly, and here another way to give them something better to do.

All equipment should have a life span listed when buying items. Each items requires maintenance or it will break down. Each item has a chance to break down, and it should not be shown to the user. The chance should go up as it ages. The technicians only real job is to keep items serviced and repair when broken down. As techs gain more stars they service items quicker and prolong its life. After an item has reached it expected lifespan, it will be marked as expired and you as the user have options to replace them.

Also items don't have to break down, maybe doors open slower and other issues that could happen when things don't get serviced.

I think technicians are used incorrectly, and here another way to give them something better to do.

All equipment should have a life span listed when buying items. Each items requires maintenance or it will break down. Each item has a chance to break down, and it should not be shown to the user. The chance should go up as it ages. The technicians only real job is to keep items serviced and repair when broken down. As techs gain more stars they service items quicker and prolong its life. After an item has reached it expected lifespan, it will be marked as expired and you as the user have options to replace them.

Also items don't have to break down, maybe doors open slower and other issues that could happen when things don't get serviced.

This is a decent idea for now

Until they add inventories that is, then doors and thinsg should break down because people may be able to use a crowbar to force it open. (same with unpowered doors)

I don't really like the idea of having to constantly replace things. It's reasonable to keep a machine running indefinitely by replacing parts as they wear out, without having to scrap the whole thing. Perhaps if it reaches 0%, then you have to replace it. Keep your technicians happy and you won't have to worry...

Maybe they can put negative effects based on the level of repair. For example, 100-76% it works fine, 75-51% a replicator makes bad tasting food, 50-26% it makes people have bad gas, 25-1% puts them in sickbay.

I don't really like the idea of having to constantly replace things. It's reasonable to keep a machine running indefinitely by replacing parts as they wear out, without having to scrap the whole thing. Perhaps if it reaches 0%, then you have to replace it. Keep your technicians happy and you won't have to worry...

Maybe they can put negative effects based on the level of repair. For example, 100-76% it works fine, 75-51% a replicator makes bad tasting food, 50-26% it makes people have bad gas, 25-1% puts them in sickbay.

Maybe I played to much OpenTTD, but trains don't explode that often. Stuff should last a while, the only issues they should have is service. Like Air filters being clogged, chains needing grease and timers re-calibrated. I really don't want to worry one hour in that every door I built is hanging around 10% until it leaks. The doors that are never used, like my "spacing" doors which never open should just last until the micro cracks and pressure difference breaks it apart.

Also like OpenTTD, I should not see health, I should see reliability. If the item breaks down a lot, maybe its time to replace.

I would much rather have service techs actually service machines and "build" inside items. Builders should be outside, techs should do all inside stuff and keep machines running longer.

But I really want a replace option so my 10% doors can be demolished and replaced in the same go.

I now disagree with my original post as i believe my issue was a base issue in general. I kinda had a catastrophic event after rushing into fixing derelects, gotta love that bug.

After i played the 02 demolish/replace game for a few hours the rest of my base (doors, airlocks, food replicators, fire extinguishers, all of them) started to improve drastacally before being broken (i.e. techs were maintaining them). So keep the entire base state (and derelects) in mind as techs still tend to prioritize o2 recyclers over other equipment (which i honestly appreciate or want on a manual control--like a slider or something). I just wish they wouldn't prioritize derilects over other junk. :D

Also, has anyone noticed what appeared to be a builder maintaining a door with his/her drill? I swear i've seen it but not been able to catch it in time to see if there was an actual change in door condition.

I now disagree with my original post as i believe my issue was a base issue in general. I kinda had a catastrophic event after rushing into fixing derelects, gotta love that bug.

After i played the 02 demolish/replace game for a few hours the rest of my base (doors, airlocks, food replicators, fire extinguishers, all of them) started to improve drastacally before being broken (i.e. techs were maintaining them). So keep the entire base state (and derelects) in mind as techs still tend to prioritize o2 recyclers over other equipment (which i honestly appreciate or want on a manual control--like a slider or something). I just wish they wouldn't prioritize derilects over other junk. :D

Also, has anyone noticed what appeared to be a builder maintaining a door with his/her drill? I swear i've seen it but not been able to catch it in time to see if there was an actual change in door condition.

Technicians sometimes demolish objects (which is normally for builders only) maybe they interchange a little sometimes.

Technicians sometimes demolish objects (which is normally for builders only) maybe they interchange a little sometimes.

Interesting, I haven't actually seen that. Maybe i'll pay closer attention

Heyyo,

I'm having the same problem with Alpha 3b. I have 7 Technicians at five-star rating right now and they can barely repair anything and my base is falling apart and constantly catching on fire...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221208008

note how much of my base is sparking / on fire....

It's an easy fix. Just double the maintenance efficiency of the current settings for each star-tier technician. It would make this game much more playable. Right now they are easily doing half as much maintenance as they should. Everything's always in poor condition and waiting to be "destroyed" and then catching on fire.

Heyyo,

I'm having the same problem with Alpha 3b. I have 7 Technicians at five-star rating right now and they can barely repair anything and my base is falling apart and constantly catching on fire...

It's an easy fix. Just double the maintenance efficiency of the current settings for each star-tier technician. It would make this game much more playable. Right now they are easily doing half as much maintenance as they should. Everything's always in poor condition and waiting to be "destroyed" and then catching on fire.

Nothing has caught fire, but I have like 6 techs and they don't do anything while my O2 scrubbers continue to degrade. I think some re-balancing is needed...

Heyyo,

Hmm, maybe my problem is I expanded too quickly or I tried to make up for my defective O2 Scrubbers with too many scrubbers... not sure.. but still it drives me nuts my Technicians can barely maintain anything...

Heyyo,

Nothing has caught fire, but I have like 6 techs and they don't do anything while my O2 scrubbers continue to degrade. I think some re-balancing is needed...

How happy are your techs, if they are really sad of course they won't maintain things. usually it is a morale problem when people complain.

How happy are your techs, if they are really sad of course they won't maintain things. usually it is a morale problem when people complain.

If they are "sad", how do I increase morale?

stop people from dieing (in space for example).

build monitors.

build pub cosmetic (holo-) items.

pull everyone off their jobs but the plant- and barkeepers.

hope that nobody decides to storm in and pray no effing asteroid hail starts.

also, if you don't know how to see whether they are "sad" which i got from your quotes.

Click on them, and it should display how happy they are.

Build a bar is another option, fill up areas people go to often with monitors, make sure that they have food. (easy access) make sure they have a bedroom with all the works, rugs, cabinets, and of course beds.

Ah okay. I was thinking along these lines but wasn't sure. I'm holding off on my next session till the new patch tho. :) Thanks!!

Sign in to follow this