Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Autonomous LEAP out!

Let me be the first to congratulate you and the rest of the Autonomous team for expanding upon the prototype and making a full fledged game out of it! I downloaded it as soon as I read it on the main Double Fine page but I have yet to try it out.

Although it is free, which I might add is extremely generous of you, not many people I have talked to actually own a Leap. For Australians, with shipping included, that amounts close to $90-$100. The question one has to ask is simple; is Autonomous worth the price of the Leap? Perhaps you might consider releasing the game on GoG/Steam/Humble in the near future to at least recoup some of the development costs (albeit without Leap support). All of you seriously deserve it.

I might actually play it soon and I might actually make a review of it (and Leap in general). I'll see how it goes and if I have time for it.

I really really really really really really want to get this, but am not sure whether or not to get a leap just for it.

If the game continues to be developed for the Leap then I'd probably get one, but if it comes to PC, I think I'll just wait.

But I really really really want to play this!

What stuff can you only do on a Leap that you can't do with regular PC controls?

I had a quick playthrough of it last night so consider the following words an initial impression and not an in-depth review.

For the most part Autonomous LEAP is quite literally the Amnesia Fortnight prototype with added bells and whistles. Considering Autonomous is the only prototype that can stand alone as a complete experience, thanks to an excellent concept and a great project leader, there really isn't much more you could add to the experience (without adding multiplayer mind you). The additions seem minor but they're welcome.

While the LEAP version has an options menu you can't change resolution sizes, graphical detail or FoV. I don't know what the default FoV in the game is but I wouldn't mind bumping it a little higher. If you can run the AF prototype version you'd be able to run the LEAP version without issue.

As for how the game works, it's exactly the same as the prototype; build bots, destroy bots, collect energy and convert towers. Ultimately what separates the AF version from the LEAP version is how it CONTROLS and your opinion on this is entirely dependent on if you enjoy motion controls. Your right hand moves independently from the left hand with the crosshair following the hand to let you know where you're aiming. Moving the hand closer to the edges of the screen moves the camera. Clenching your fist charges a stun and performing a throwing motion, well, throws objects. An easy way to explain it or imagine it is to think about how FPS games worked on the Nintendo Wii. If you can picture that then you've basically got the control scheme of Autonomous.

I tried playing with the LEAP in front of my keyboard but I quickly learned that the LEAP needs to be positioned where your mouse would be. Doing otherwise will cause immense strain on your arm. Since I don't mind motion controls and the LEAP itself is a pretty accurate device (with limitations of course) I enjoyed playing it. It really is one of those experiences where you need to play it for yourself to get a feel for it (much like Dropchord).

If you hate motion controls I honestly can't recommend Autonomous LEAP. I also can't recommend it to those who already own the AF prototype but don't have the LEAP. While the additional features and content are nice it's still largely the same experience. Definitely not worth the asking price of the LEAP.

However if you DO own a LEAP, regardless if you've played or own the prototype or not, get Autonomous LEAP.

Sign in to follow this