Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MoonyGekko

What Mod Would You Make?

Hey guys, I'm kindasortabutnotreally active again. I'm really inconsistent at this place...

Anyway, as I'm sure you all know Team Stream 11 was streamed earlier on Friday this weekend, and the topic of modding was brought up again.

On Friday we learned that a lot of the game is being done in Lua, so if they ever did feel that modding was a doable thing for Massive Chalice one way of going about it might just be giving the community the Lua that they're working with.

That got me thinking, what kinda mods would I make if they ever do become a thing? So I thought I might as well ask the rest of the forums too.

Pretending that all of us are artistically and code-savvily blessed enough to make mods, what would you do?

Add more character classes?

Extra demon types?

Would you make a total overhaul and make the game an open-world third-person action-adventure?

More weapons/abilities/armors n' stuff?

Graphics overhaul?

Reggae polka soundtrack?

A mod that gives everyone beards?

I don't know, go crazy. If you could put anything what would you add?

In before Bard Class

My mod would add a one time special random event.

It'd pretty much be, mankind mistakenly opens a gate to The Brütal Land while trying to research on the portals the demon's use to get to and from *Earth. Eddie Riggs will exit the portal and join that Keep.

*Whatever planet they're on

More just for the laughs really.

I plan on adding a mod so that same-sex couples can still have kids... through magic! That may require a bit of re-balancing of whatever benefits you normally get from pairing up heroes.

Another idea I had was to make monsters change depending on the corruption level of the territory. Basically territories slowly get more and more corrupted over time, especially if you lose a battle or choose not to fight. That changes the terrain to be different. So at certain thresholds the monsters get powered up and become tougher and gain new abilities, possibly with new glowy effects or just palette swaps. I really don't think it will be easy or even possible to make such an in-depth mod though.

I don't really think new classes/monsters is necessary, but creating new abilities, maybe from powerful items/demon upgrades/genetic traits would give some extra variety. That is a cool idea: Passive and Active traits that get transmitted to your kids. I would set up a system like eye color where different combinations have different probabilities of being passed on, with a maximum of 1 passive and 1 active ability for each new character.

Nothing serious, maybe change all the hit sounds to famous Arnold Schwarzenegger one liners.

Why not just create a Worms style voice bank? At the start of the game, you can assign accents to both the demons and the humans, and they'll draw from the voice bank you assigned them to comment on the battle all throughout the game.

Here are some ideas for voices we could give them:

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Tommy Wiseau

Bobcat Goldthwait

Brak

See-and-Say

Gregorian Chant

James Brown

Droopy Dog / Eeyore

Well if you're doing all of that you can't leave out these guys:

Eddie Murphy's laugh

Danny DeVito

Chris Tucker

Patrick Stewart

Patrick Star

Sean Connery

And of course Morgan Freeman

If it was a really open framework to mod, I'd go fairly big...

I feel like the nature versus nurture aspect of the game is being overlooked. I'd create a mod around this aspect of the game.

Instead of putting a hero out to stud and producing clone or hybrid babies 15 years from now to throw into the fight, I'd restructure the games as follows:

Nature

1. Split genetic traits from job class.

Provide strength, dexterity, intelligence and constitution attributes. Each year on a character's birthday, they gain or lose attributes based on a modified bell curve. Each attribute 's curve would be a little different dexterity peaks early but plateaus for a long time strength peeks and then starts to fade, intelligence continues to grow long after strength and dexterity are fading, etc..

Each attribute would provide an affect in battle, and then after the hero's retired.

Attribute - In battle function - Retired function

Strength - Melee attack power - Increase attribute bonus to growing children

Dexterity - Ranged attack power - Longevity

Constitution - Hit Points - Fertility

Intelligence - Critical Hit Percentage - Class training bonus to growing children

From this hidden base equation (or a simple table if that's easier to implement in Lua), I'd then create a bunch unique traits would modify that curve. For example, Late Bloomer might push the strength curve back a bit so the character is weaker than normal at 15, but retains their strength longer than usual. Or a stubborn trait that pushes the INT curve down but slightly increases Constitution. Physical affects from battle would affect the attributes. A maimed hand in battle would result in a long term or permanent deduction to Dexterity for example.

As this curve is hidden to the user, the constitution of a person may drop severely at age 45 and you wouldn't ever know for sure.

Nurture

2. While a child is growing up, each year where both parents are with the child, there is a bonus to their attributes gained, but that bonus is spread across all the children. So maybe one parent goes back to war, leaving only half a bonus for a year or two. Also a single child will receive a larger bonus than a child with 4 siblings as they don't get the same amount of attention.

Class skills are developed based on experience.

3. Provide a teacher / Advisor role that a hero can be retired to. At 5 years old, each child may enter a 5 year schooling under a teacher. Anyone can teach a primary class, so it can be done at home. At 10, the child goes for 5 more years into a secondary schooling. This schooling is the foundation for the class they will become at 15, and may include sending the child away as they need to study under a teacher of their same class for secondary school. If left without a teacher, they will learn their parent's class. The schooling affects the physical attribute curve (caberjack's are going to spend more time building muscle than abarlists are), but also starts generating experience for the child. This experience earned can be modified by the skill and experience of the teacher as well as other random events. As the child comes of age and can fight, that experience allows them to learn new skills in their class tree.

4. Add a 2 or 3 year apprenticeship, where one 15 year old can be made apprentice to a Hero of a high enough level. This means he must fight each battle with him. This may put him in harms way more, and make the fights a little tougher to plan for, but he'll be awards substantially more experience. This would allow for the molding of a hero to hand over your relic to (and some serious despair if that chosen kid falls in battle unluckily early in his career).

So the misfit kid left at home for 15 years will come out fine, but that exceptional kid that was sent to apprentice with a former heroic caberjack may be substantially better off at 15.

Why would I do this?

I think this would add a fun nature versus nurture dynamic which is what really caught my attention with the game's premise. I feel there would be a deeper connection with the characters you've help mold them into who they are, instead of just waiting until they turn 15 and become playable. I think would give the player more of a reason to care about the individual people.

Also it would give you some other options for your hero's at advanced age. You can have then start a family, or become a class teacher, or maybe even allow for a witch-doctor / sear type role where a character could identify those unique traits to better identify strong parents or learn to heal those permanent battle injuries.

What's the reality of doing this?

This is 99.8% pipe dream as these kind of changes would be pretty dramatic to the basic function of the game, and mod-ability isn't high on the priority list. I have started poking around a bit with lua to see what the language is all about. I'm got many years experience in Perl, but haven't ever really used lua before. It seems pretty straight forward as far as the attribute change table and building traits that would affect that rate, but plumbing it into the game engine would likely be a impossibility.

Let's see;

Classes, add them and tweak them.

Add random events.

I'd probably add a relationship system, because that's one of the things I saw the most potential in.

I might revamp the class system completely - I've elaborated in another post that I love the ability to hybridize in anyway I want.

All of these depend on difficulty, availability and access.

Let's see;

Classes, add them and tweak them.

Add random events.

I'd probably add a relationship system, because that's one of the things I saw the most potential in.

I might revamp the class system completely - I've elaborated in another post that I love the ability to hybridize in anyway I want.

All of these depend on difficulty, availability and access.

What classes and random events do you have in mind?

What classes and random events do you have in mind?

Sorry about the cop out, but that's something that I'd figure out after I'd played it, to see what I feel I'd want or change, for example what sort of mechanics they actually end up using for the different classes. If it's bordering to perfect, the mod changes become just for my own amusement.

I think I would do a mode where it was limited to one generation or two generations, essentially X-Com-izing or Fire Emblem-izing it to some degree. I suspect this would require a exponential increase in random events to keep things interesting and a complete revamp of the relic system. Also the whole recruiting process.

But yeah, I would find an alternate variation that just focused on one or two generations (see Fire Emblem) compelling. Granted I think it would require quite a few changes to keep things interesting. Perhaps even on the artistic front also, so each character is given a pretty unique look. Or at least portraits or something similar.

I would make a mod that causes weapons and shields to deteriorate over time and require maintenance. Weapons would never break: a weapon at 0 "Hit Points" would simply do half as much damage as it would with full "HP".

I'd create a separate mod for weapons and shields to gain a permanent buff as they are passed down through bloodlines. The buff is either reduced or removed entirely once it is inherited by someone outside of a bloodline. The buff will also decrease if the warrior switches to a demonic weapon, proportionate to the amount of time (as measured in battles, years, or turns) the warrior has it equipped.

Maybe my ideas are kind of lame? I don't want to change the narrative content, I'd rather have my go at the game mechanics.

(and OP, I think I show up in these forums less frequently than you do :D. I spend most of my time on the teamstreams)

The current Massive Chalice is almost completely different than what I initially imagined. Basically, the only thing they decided to keep the same was the epic timeline. If I had the technical knowledge and artistic ability to create mods for the game, I'd try my best to get the game more in line with what was hinted at in the initial Kickstarter pitch and interviews.

Replace all current classes and weapons with ones like these:

MASSIVECHALICE_Ancestors_thumbnail.jpg

None of the wacky classes and alien-looking worlds and demons.

I haven't been able to keep track of what the relic system is like now, but if it isn't the progression of a weapon or armor's stats as its passed down from generation to generation as a family heirloom, I would change it a system that does that.

I'm sure that Massive Chalice will be a fun little game as is, though.

What I'd like to mod into it is an overhaul of the terrain system - making it 3D and having elevation, having multi level structures like keeps, buildings for towns and villages and farms and such, add terrain and building deformation, add much broader variety in environments, and make sure that there can be transitions between the various different environments - like fighting an ambush on the road from the mangrove to the salt basins. Which, now that I think about it, seems like an overhaul of the entire tactical layer. I was kind of bummed out about how the game doesn't support non-flat terrain. I also think that while it's all fine and nice with these unusual environments, they are all wilderness and I'd like to be able to fight off the cadence in populated areas as well, farmland, villages, towns, garrisons, watchtowers. Even just doodads such as stone bridges, aqueducts, paved or dirt roads, fences, walls and the like.

The current Massive Chalice is almost completely different than what I initially imagined. Basically, the only thing they decided to keep the same was the epic timeline. If I had the technical knowledge and artistic ability to create mods for the game, I'd try my best to get the game more in line with what was hinted at in the initial Kickstarter pitch and interviews.

Replace all current classes and weapons with ones like these:

MASSIVECHALICE_Ancestors_thumbnail.jpg

I haven't been able to keep track of what the relic system is like now, but if it isn't the progression of a weapon or armor's stats as its passed down from generation to generation as a family heirloom, I would change it a system that does that.

I'm sure that Massive Chalice will be a fun little game as is, though.

I like the direction they are taking with Massive Chalice, but I kind of agree that it would be nice to stick with more traditional classes like 2-handed swords, bows, axes and a dual-wielding class etc. to fight between keeps possibly.

Ah'd race the community to create the first nude mod. I'd lose that contest but my better bewbs mod would have the best textures.

it would be nice to stick with more traditional classes like 2-handed swords, bows, axes and a dual-wielding class etc. to fight between keeps possibly.

Wherefor this hatred of novelty?

I'd rather have a novel experience than the same regurgitated worms dropped in my mouth ad infinatum.

To the contrary, ah found the arbalist and some of the levels plainer than ah'd prefer. The former because more original designs like a 5th class with chain-and-blade were teased and the latter because

settings with
, freaky
and an unnatural
would be refreshing compared to the same ol trees we've seen in oblivion an' elsewhere.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/e1/c2/ae/e1c2ae2ea30d9335baa46949f996c3d2.jpg

Sign in to follow this