Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bartosh

SpaceShips

So... I Was thinking... this game Really needs spaceships flying around shooting each other...

So this morning i had some fun drawing some fan art/ideas.

i apologize for my horrible spelling .

ships_zps810ab283.jpg

I Think having a "Cute" spaceship could fit the overall feel of SpaceBase DF9 and be able to fit inside the stations and not take up too much room.

The point of all my little pseudocode notes is that ideally they could zip around like The ships from Escape Velocity or something. since theres no need to be locked to a grid in space.

spaceships_zps695a34b8.jpg

and if nothing else i think the idea of building expensive Armored walls could be a good simple to implement idea to be able to prevent raiders from docking.

This a really cool idea, I remember reading a post about a sort of shield door that people can walk through but still keep oxygen inside (Might've been M-Gate) and this sounds like it'd be a good idea since you'd need a hangar for ships and the shields would be a wonderful way of letting people in and out without having to manage the hangar, for a cost of course but it would definitely help give thought to making an actual space "base". My two cents anyway, love the idea!

Really cool sketches dood! I think dockers and derelicts are technically space ships already, so If they looked like this that'd be cool. Maybe they could dock inside the base at like a docking bay (new room type) or maybe the airlock could double as one (with new objects). Right now you can double wall your base to prevent docking, but it's not as cool as having armored walls.

Very cool drawin'!

Some of this stuff we've discussed already - like having a zone where trade shuttles show up to trade goods with your base. Also, defensive weapons or turrets to protect against hostiles. As far as I recall, we haven't really talked about anything like AI ships buzzing around. Its kind of a neat idea. It does distract a bit from the core of the game being about citizens and their weird little lives. It would be a tough system to get into without getting sidetracked and going down the rabbit hole. I think you can see similar potential in the on-foot combat. There's only so far you can take those things before they start taking over your game.

This sorta thing is mostly JP's world though - I have opinions on this stuff but my first job is art. BTW - nice work on those ship doodles, making them fit in the existing design language. raaaaddddd

@ All

hey thanks :)

--------------------------------------------

Initially i was thinking ships in hangers being let out a door , like an air lock. (the force field seem cool though, and more "fun" when the power go's down) and when/if the z axes came in, i think that would be a better way to go about it.

vtoldock_zps3fa9ddbe.png

But my thought was docks could just be placed in the hanger room, like a piece of furniture. and the ships would enter/exit the station from below.

I think the Easiest way to go about it would be like my little drawing above. where the crew changes into spaceship object.

Kinda like the speederbike from the old Space Colony game.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"It does distract a bit from the core of the game being about citizens and their weird little lives. It would be a tough system to get into without getting sidetracked and going down the rabbit hole."

Yeah.

However i think it would be a shame to have a game about a spacebase, that doesn't have little Spaceships zipping around blasting things in some form.

And having a spaceship vehicle system could open up a lot of fun possibilities outside just combat.

But i of course have no idea what that all would intel program wise..

If its ever a low hanging fruit, it needs to happen :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"- nice work on those ship doodles, making them fit in the existing design language. raaaaddddd":

I really love the games art stile in general. its why the games in my happy place.

i think weapons would be way OP, but i like the idea of shuttles, one could load up some security personnel along with a few techs, a builder and miners, and head over to a nearby asteroid and mine it, and then not have matter added to stockpile until shuttle makes its way back to base and docks.

i think weapons would be way OP, but i like the idea of shuttles, one could load up some security personnel along with a few techs, a builder and miners, and head over to a nearby asteroid and mine it, and then not have matter added to stockpile until shuttle makes its way back to base and docks.

I like where your going, but in the end game were going to strip every asteroid, so really shuttles should take them off map to work, where...

1) nothing happens

2) ship stolen

3) attacked by raiders

4) infected by parasite

5) find a strange plant and other random events

Dang cool little ships. Maybe having tons of these swarming around shootin down raiders wouldn't really be within DF-9's scope...

But it would be neat to have a cute little work/security shuttle (Like a space van/minibus) to ferry folks direct from a landing bay out to distant work sites.

I want to be able to strap an engine to an asteroid and fly it around.

I want to be able to strap an engine to an asteroid and fly it around.

hehe, mass drivers would be one way to deal with raider ships. :)

We'll how about keep ships simple so you don't need to worry about AI. They just fly point to point. The points have to be built, so space beacons. But you could think of a ship as spacesuit+ and your crew would just use them if the distance is too great. Also ships would be used to drag in derelicts on top of the junkyard beacons.

1 thing first, those ships are AMAZING

And you have the same idea as me, spaceships for flying around and transferring resources/people between bases or stuff

I would not want to see ship to ship battles, but I would love if once your base gets big enough, and is a juicy target, you could build some vehicles, which will warp off map, and detect approaching invaders and possibly stop them, off screen. This way we don't have to worry about them being a big deal, they are just a faster way to move people between predefined points and handle off-screen events.

Here is what I would love, place space "bus" stop beacons. Ships can travel to a beacon and then return to base, just point to point, no real AI. If space people are too far away they will travel to the space beacon and signal for a pickup. Space vehicles can be set to wait and how long before returning from space so they can get a bunch of people. Maybe they can hold cargo to store multiple minerals deposits. This way I could mine far off asteroids without needing a second base.

Also for example you would receive messages that a derelict has been spotted way off in the distance, off-screen. And you would have options to send a crew to investigate and select crew types to send. Then the encounter is random, you may get blueprints or loot.

Also just set ships to explore the off-screen area looking for invaders, and they may have a off-screen fight, die, or bring back loot.

Sign in to follow this