Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Jaggers

DF got the Stacking & Costume Quest rights back!

Neat, huh?

Psychonauts, Stacking, Costume Quest to see retail release in North America and Europe in first half of 2014

Double Fine Productions and Nordic Games have announced that Double Fine has reacquired all the publishing and distribution rights to its games Costume Quest and Stacking. Additionally, Double Fine has decided to partner with Nordic Games to bring retail release of Psychonauts, Costume Quest, and Stacking for Windows and Mac in North America and Europe during the first half of 2014.

"I am pleased that we have regained full control over Costume Quest and Stacking, following a daring and top-secret midnight raid on the Nordic Games headquarters in Vienna," said Double Fine president and CEO Tim Schafer.

"We can't wait to partner with Double Fine for this upcoming retail launch of three of its most excellent games," said Lars Wingefors, owner and CEO of Nordic Games. "However, I feel compelled to point out that we were happy to transfer distribution rights for Costume Quest and Stacking back to Double Fine in an entirely non-secretive and heist-free manner."

Nordic Games previously acquired the distribution rights to Stacking and Costume Quest upon the bankruptcy of former publisher THQ in early 2013.

"Double Fine is dedicated to controlling its own IP, and we will continue working to bring all associated rights back in-house whenever possible," said Double Fine business development VP Justin Bailey, "no matter how many split-second security system hacks or painstaking tunneling operations we have to execute."

"I just want to clarify, again, that we support the right of independent developers to control their own distribution, and we were pleased to have the opportunity to work with Double Fine," said Klemens Kreuzer, Managing Director at Nordic Games. "No heists."

Psychonauts was originally released at retail in 2005, but for years has been available only through digital distribution. The upcoming retail launch will mark the first time Costume Quest and Stacking have been available as physical releases.

The question remains: Were there heists?

Of course there were.

The question remains: Were there heists?

Of course there were.

And clearly Brad wasn't with them, not with what they've learned about him from playing the Infiltration board game.

Brad would have just went in, guns blazing, throwing grenades. His X-com play is evidence of this.

Smiles

I hope there will be a triple pack that has all three games included. That said I already have all 3 games from the df bundle so I'm not sure if I'll buy a second copy of the games.

Now that they have Costume Quest back, maybe we'll see another DLC pack in the future.

I think they always had full distribution rights for Costume Quest on PC, so I don't think that was stopping them from making more DLC. I'd love some more content for all of those games though.

I think they always had full distribution rights for Costume Quest on PC, so I don't think that was stopping them from making more DLC. I'd love some more content for all of those games though.

Well, it had been mentioned by staff on the Costume Quest board that the main thing holding them back was the departure of the original creator of Costume Quest, but that it was something they'd still like to do.

Yeah, Tasha works at Pixar these days.

They still have the creative minds behind Psychonauts and Stacking though. Stacking already has DLC, but it might be easier to justify more DLC for it, since it's a relatively loose concept and doesn't have the seasonal attachment that Costume Quest does.

And it goes without saying that a Psychonauts sequel would be awesome, but that's not very likely to happen without an investor.

When I played it I always thought it would be awesome to do a growing up with the audience sequel to Costume Quest called Cosplay Quest.

When I played it I always thought it would be awesome to do a growing up with the audience sequel to Costume Quest called Cosplay Quest.

This would be awesome =D It would have to be set in a comic convention naturally, so you could basically have any type of costumes you want to have.

This is excellent news! I will totally buy a retail copy of Psychonauts and Costume Quest, and also buy some for all my friends! I bought Psychonauts from Xbox Live and the Mac App store, but bought my PS2 copy on the second-hand market so DF didn't benefit from my cold, hard cash like they should have. I plan to rectify it this time 'round because I am committed to doing everything in my feeble power to encourage a sequel.

Also, I love Costume Quest and would love additional DLC for it!

Stacking I never really got into, mostly because I'm riddled with ADHD when it comes to puzzle-type games, so I never did beat it. I should probably give it another try, because it is definitely a neat idea, gorgeously executed. Perhaps persevering with Stacking is the key to unlocking my zen-focus and higher-cognative capabilities. I could be staring my own personal enlightenment right in it's little stacking face. Hm.

Sign in to follow this