Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aristotlol

Philosophy of Videogames Podcast - Can Videogames Be Art etc.

Hello peoples. Myself and two philosopher friends of mine have decided to have a go at doing a podcast on the philosophy of videogames. In case that's the sort of thing you might be interested in, I provide a link below. Feedback is very welcome - positively encouraged, indeed, since we're just common folk blundering our way through the process.

There's only one episode thus far, uploaded last night, and its topic is "Can Video Games Be Art?". The second will follow over the next two months (we all have a lot of teaching / research to do, and the holidays are coming), and will be about morality and videogames.

We're a good mix - Al, the English one, does philosophy of mind and emotion, Brock, the American, does ontology, and I, the Irish (more or less) one, do ethics. I already have my PhD, and they're both well on the way to getting theirs, so you can rest assured we're competent at the very least.

Anyway, here's the link: http://pong.podomatic.com/

Edit: I probably should have posted this in the general discussion forum, sorry about that.

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out tonight.

Edit: I probably should have posted this in the general discussion forum, sorry about that.

Off Topic might be the best place for it, since it isn't directly related to Double Fine. It's also the busiest part of the forums, contrary to popular belief. This might be the place with the most lurkers though.

Off Topic might be the best place for it, since it isn't directly related to Double Fine.

As a lame attempt at making less irrelevant, I do mention Tim Schafer at one point.

I think that most games contain art, but the whole game can't be described as art because it's so much more. Most games. There are some like TRAUMA that could probably be classed more as art.

Well good news, we address that very problem! Lots of people make the mistake of thinking you can show games are art by pointing out that they contain art. What's more important, I think, is trying to show how something can be art by virtue of what it does as a video game. Dominic McIvor Lopes, president of the American Society of Aesthetics, does a good job on that score in his very approachable and short book A Philosophy of Computer Art.

Sign in to follow this