Sign in to follow this  
taumel

.:. The best video games ever .:.

Wow, i haven't played an Arcade for a long time but yesterday i had a chance to play the original Tempest again, what an awesome game! Therefore i decided to put up a list of games i've enjoyed the most.

Arcades

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/arcadest1zx0snubl.jpg

Marble Madness, Dig Dug, Xevious, TRON, Moon Patrol, Gauntlet II, Asteroids Deluxe, Dragon's Lair, Tempest, Air Hockey

VCS 2600

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/tauvcs2600mf27p304sx.jpg

Asteroids, Defender, Demon Attack, Missile Command, Pac Man, River Raid, Sky Jinks, Vanguard

C64

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/tauc64demru87nfa.png

Alter Ego, Archon, Archon II - Adept, The Bard's Tale III - The Thief of Fate, Beach Head 2 - The Dictator Strikes Back, Boulder Dash, Bruce Lee, Boulder Dash, The Castles of Doctor Creep, Decathlon, Drelbs, Elite, Flip and Flop, H.E.R.O., Impossible Mission, Jammin, Jumpman, Loadrunner, Matchpoint, Murder on the Zinderneuf, Paradroid, Pharao's Curse, Pitstop II, Pogo Joe, Realm of Impossibility, Rock'n'Bolt, Space Taxi, Spelunker, Super Pipeline, Ultima II - The Revenge of the Enchantress!, Uridium, Wizard of War, Zeppelin

Amiga

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/tauamigay0tckef1om.png

Alien Breed - Special Edition 1992, Archon, Archon II - Adept, The Bard's Tale - Tales of the Unknown, The Bard's Tale II - The Destiny Knight, Battle Squadron, Blue Angel 69, Bubble Bobble, Cadaver, Cannon Fodder, The Chaos Engine, Chip's Challenge, Defender of the Crown, Deluxe Galaga, Deuteros, Dungeon Master, Frontier, The Great Giana Sisters, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Klax, Klondike Deluxe AGA, Leader Board, Lemmings, Loom, Maniac Mansion, Marble Madness, Millenium 2.2, Mind Walker, Paradroid 90, The Pawn, Pirates, Portal, Ports of Call, The Secret of Monkey Island, Sensible World of Soccer 96-97, The Sentinel, Shanghai, Shufflepuck Café, Silent Service, Silkworm, Simon the Sorcerer, Spy vs. Spy, Starflight, Super Hang-On, Tower of Babel, Twintris, Utima III - Exodus, Ultmia IV - Quest of the Avatar, Ultima V - Warriors of Destiny, Winter Games, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Zork Zero - The Revenge of Megaboz

Game Boy

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/taugb55iewmv3q6f.png

Boulder Dash, Soukoban, Soukoban 2, Tennis, Tetris, Tetris Attack, Tetris Plus, Yoshi

Lynx

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/taulynx2y8g01d347z.png

Chip's Challenge, Gates of Zendocon, Klax, California Games

PC (OS X, Win, DOS)

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/taupc3jk8zfnxot.jpg

A Vampyre Story, Age of Mythology, Alpha Centauri, Aquaria, The Bard's Tale, Bioshock, Bones, Botanicula, Braid, Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars, The Cave, Costume Quest, Day of the Tentacle, Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Death Gate, Desktop Dungeons, The DIG, Doom III, Dragon Age 2, Dragon's Lair, DROD, Dungeon Siege II, Dungeon Keeper, FEZ, FTL, Full Throttle, Gridwars II, Grim Fandango, Half Life - Black Mesa, Half Life 2, Hexplore, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Le Chuck's Revenge, Legend of Grimrock, Limbo, Linos, Loom, Machinarium, Maniac Mansion, Naya’s Quest, No one lives forever, No one lives forever 2, Outlast, Psychonauts, Puzzle Agent, Sam and Max hit the Road, The Secret of Monkey Island, Shadowgrounds Survivor, Shannara, Snood, SPAZ, The Stanley Parable, System Shock 2, Tales of Monkey Island - The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood, Tender Loving Care, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Trinity, Ultima IX, Voxatron, Virtua Tennis 4, VVVVVV, The Wolf Among Us, World of Goo, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Zen Bound 2

iOS

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/tauios24u3xo9mvbw.jpg

Flight Control, Forget.Me.Not, Galcon Fusion, geoDefense, geoDefense Swarm, Kingdom Rush HD, Kingdom Rush Frontiers HD, Pac Man CE, PathPix, Real Solitaire HD, Scribblenauts Remix, Scurvey Scallywag, Shift, Marbly Deluxe, Unify, Zombie Trailer Park

Consoles (%&§)

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/taucon07k3rn8izw.jpg

Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, Little Big Planet 2, Pikmin 3

2014 (looking forward to)

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/tau2014bo8tc52zjx.jpg

Broken Sword - The Serpent's Curse, The Cave DLC, The Doublefine Adventure, Dragon Age 3, Framed, FTL Advanced Edition, Legend of Grimrock 2, Miegakure, X, Quantum Break, The Witness, The Wolf Among Us

2014 (the reality so far)

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/2014rvxqyw1md5g.jpg

TWOU, The DFA, TLOU: Left Behind, Inescapable, Tempest, Memoria, FTL

One of the colleges I used to go to had this in the late-night food place. I was devastated when they got rid of it but apparently I was the only one who played it:

GoldenAxeInline_1256673022.jpg

Other than that; House of the Dead and Dance, Dance games have usually been my go-to arcade games. I feel like there are a lot that I'm forgetting though...

Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise is the best game to come out in the last generation of gaming and is my personal Justification of buying a 360 over a PS3

It is pure beauty, a garden simulator in which you attract Pinatas to your garden and persuade them to become residents in your garden and then breed them and create a wonderful garden.

It is a game more rage inducing than super meat boy whilst more still being beautiful and calm when you need it...

Virtua cop and and the Mystara series are my favorite arcade games. They are both fun and Mystara has a bit more to it's gameplay than mashing the attack button to win.

I'd list some of my favourite games, but I was going to do a video about it sometime, so I won't tell you all of them. Here's a couple though:

- Half-Life (obvious game is obvious)

- Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (still has the best combat of the series)

- Dead Space (the first one, not the lame sequels)

...and I'm seriously debating putting Lego marvel Superheroes on the list. Yes, I had THAT much fun with it.

Super Metroid, SMB3, R&C:TOD

I know there's more, but I can go back and play those 3 any time.

I'd list some of my favourite games, but I was going to do a video about it sometime, so I won't tell you all of them. Here's a couple though:

- Half-Life (obvious game is obvious)

- Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (still has the best combat of the series)

- Dead Space (the first one, not the lame sequels)

...and I'm seriously debating putting Lego marvel Superheroes on the list. Yes, I had THAT much fun with it.

dead space 2 was really good, 3 was where it went off the rails

Psychonauts! :D

Agreed. Also:

-Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

-Grim Fandango

-Knytt Underground

-FEZ

-Super Mario Bros. 3

-Age of Empires II: Age of Kings

-Red Alert 2

Possibly others that I don't remember at the moment.

Hmmm... It's hard to pick, but I'll try...

Grim Fandango

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Fallout 2

Baldur's Gate II

Planescape: Torment

Age of Empires II: Age of Kings, Conquerors Expansion

EV Nova

Bioshock Infinite

KotOR II

Goodbye Deponia

Portal

Honorable Mentions (because I love them, but haven't finished them yet):

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

Half-Life

Hmmm... It's hard to pick, but I'll try...

Grim Fandango

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Fallout 2

Baldur's Gate II

Planescape: Torment

Age of Empires II: Age of Kings, Conquerors Expansion

EV Nova

Bioshock Infinite

KotOR II

Goodbye Deponia

Portal

Honorable Mentions (because I love them, but haven't finished them yet):

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

Half-Life

Have you played Psychonauts?

I'll add the original Patrician too, since it's one of the games I've spent by far the most time on, in addition to AoEII and Red Alert 2.

Yes, but I couldn't get past the beginning because I suck at 3D platformers. So I rage quit and never went back.

Some day, I'll give it another try, maybe after watching a playthrough to figure out how to play this game.

Yes, but I couldn't get past the beginning because I suck at 3D platformers. So I rage quit and never went back.

Did you play with a keyboard and mouse or a controller? I didn't have a controller until recently, and I think that winding bridge in Basic Braining (the first brain level) is easily some of the most difficult platforming in the game. Except the Meat Circus of course.

Some day, I'll give it another try, maybe after watching a playthrough to figure out how to play this game.

If the beginning turns out to be completely insurmountable, it might also be possible to get a save from after Basic Braining. Most of the levels after that require much less platforming skills.

The part I couldn't pass at all was this bit where you had to avoid some weird-ass machine gun or something? I dunno. I tried to get past it several times and failed so I figured I must be doing it wrong and went and did something else.

Ah, yeah. That one would be very easy after watching a video of it on the internet I think. The trick to it is basically to just keep moving either left or right to keep ahead of the machine gun. If I remember correctly all of the covers on the far left and far right all stay upright, so you can stop behind those before you start running in the opposite direction.

I was trying to think of DS games that I might rate as a favourite game, and though there are many that I really like, I couldn't think of any before. Then I remembered how much I liked Ghost Trick, and I'll say that one qualifies. I was so desperate to try to find something like it after I finished it, but I think it's pretty much one of a kind.

I've done my "best games ever!" lists too many times, but there are always games I want to mention a bit extra, even if they aren't the best games ever.

Journey - I'm mostly dissapointed with adventure games that removes puzzles completely, but in Journey, it just works. It guides me perfectly through an impressive gameworld, and makes me want to move and explore in exactly the way the developers intended, without me missing anything.

Mark of the Ninja - A highly artistic game, rooted in old school gameplay mechanics, that's built around the idea of different playing styles. A thoroughly enjoyable game that I can't recommend enough.

I considered putting Mark of the Ninja on my list too. It's a great game, and like you say, the art style is definitely one of its strengths.

I don't like Klei E.'s games.

Anyway, updated the list (was fun whilst watching football :o).

@Alcoremortis

Psychonauts is worth giving it a couple of tries, it offers a few nasty moments but apart from those it's a great game.

I was trying to think of DS games that I might rate as a favourite game, and though there are many that I really like, I couldn't think of any before. Then I remembered how much I liked Ghost Trick, and I'll say that one qualifies. I was so desperate to try to find something like it after I finished it, but I think it's pretty much one of a kind.

Always dug the style of Ghost Trick but never got to play it, my DS got wrecked before it came out. I remember Advance Wars: Dual Strike being one of my favorite games for the DS though. Super fun/challenging.

Because, unlike many other games, it had a soul (and that cute woman in the diner).

But generally, feel free to disagree. This list is based on my personal preferences, you might encounter something you like, you might disagree, maybe i forgot something as well. Actually it took some hours trying to remember all the great games but somehow it's something i always wanted to put together. :o)

WTF is Puzzle Agent on the list!? It was fun, but not one of the greatest games ever...

Did you play both games? The first one is much better than the sequel.

That said, the puzzles aren't as consistently good as in most Layton games, so I wouldn't put it on a list of my all time favorites either.

Layton's puzzles are good but i can't stand the setting/story/characters, i only click click click all the stuff away until the next puzzle shows up, Puzzle Agent is more comfy in this respect. That's what like about some older games as well, they spare you all the megabytes of crap and let you just have some fun.