Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 17: 12/4/13

Holy moly the finish line is in sight! With just over a month until the backer beta we're all officially in full on shipping mode. At this point it's just a matter of wrapping up the remaining polish work and then squishing a bunch of bugs so we can get you guys a clean build.

All the final voice is now recorded and implemented in the game, so animators are burning through all the cutscenes for their last round of polish. Audio is following right behind them scoring scenes as they come in with final sound effects and music (including some amazing stuff recently recorded by a full orchestra in Melbourne).

We've continued to watch as many new folks as possible play through the game, in addition to playing the game a lot ourselves and writing up extensive notes. Now we have a huge list of everything we want to fix before shipping the game, so it's just a matter of chipping away at that over the next month and continuing to hunt down any remaining issues!

There's a lot to do, but we so close! Thanks for being so patient with us guys. The game is shaping up reaaally nicely and we're all going to be really proud of what we ship. Sit tight, it will be here before you know it!

There's a lot to do, but we so close! Thanks for being so patient with us guys. The game is shaping up reaaally nicely and we're all going to be really proud of what we ship. Sit tight, it will be here before you know it!

No worries, we know the game will be awesome at release. No Pressure ;)

That's great news.. but I'm conflicted the same time! Not quite sure if I want to play the beta or wait for final release...

I remember you (Double Fine) saying that the beta will be done through Steam because of the copyprotections (so no-one leaks the beta), but will there be beta for the mobile platforms at any point or will you do internal testing only for that?

Oh, wow, the day is finally coming. Exciting!

First, yay!

Second, assuming the soundtrack will be on bandcamp and the other usual places (because of course it will), will it be finalized and purchase-able with the act 1 release, or do we need to wait for final?

To be(ta) or not be(ta): that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and gameplay fun,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles and bugs...

Smiles

so i will need to create a steam account, install steam, login to steam etc ?

or will there be any other way?

so i will need to create a steam account, install steam, login to steam etc ?

or will there be any other way?

just for early access and beta. if i understood that correctly.

That's great news.. but I'm conflicted the same time! Not quite sure if I want to play the beta or wait for final release...

Hadn't thought of this. Conflicted! Somehow I also missed the boat on the beta release date. Can someone point me to it?

Hadn't thought of this. Conflicted! Somehow I also missed the boat on the beta release date. Can someone point me to it?

The Act 1 beta/early access shipping date is the 30th of January next year, seen at 1:52 in Episode 11

I'm with the undecided club as well. Part of me just absolutely cannot wait and am already having a figurative kazoo in my mouth ready to party when the game ships, but part of me wants to go through the whole thing in one sitting.

Either way, gonna marathon the documentary so hard when the time comes!

The Act 1 beta/early access shipping date is the 30th of January next year, seen at 1:52 in Episode 11

Is this the Steam Early Access release date, and is that one and the same as the backer beta release date? I could have sworn they said something about there being a separate, earlier date that backers could get their hands on the game, before it went to the public with Steam Early Access.

If January 30th is the Early Access date, that would mean we could have the game in our hands just after the holidays.... :D

Oooh, cool.

How are you guys going to follow-up on the beta feedback? Is it just the forums or any other system? I'm assuming you are going to have thousands of testers upon you.

Cant wait to see the game and sink my teeth into a Tim Schafer adventure game again.. its been a long long time (not the time of this project, I mean the time since the Grim Fandango game.) woo hoo

When is "just over a month" ?

It's just it'd be really cool to have it on Jan 8th as that is my birthday. Just sayin' is all... *wink wink nudge nudge*

Is that excitement I feel rising in my pants?

(Edit)

P.S.:

It's just it'd be really cool to have it on Jan 8th as that is my birthday. Just sayin' is all... *wink wink nudge nudge*

Or, you know, *ahem*, the 13th would also be nice... some of us have birthdays then too...

Or, you know, *ahem*, the 13th would also be nice... some of us have birthdays then too...

Any day in January is my unbirthday, does that count?

I remember you (Double Fine) saying that the beta will be done through Steam because of the copyprotections (so no-one leaks the beta), but will there be beta for the mobile platforms at any point or will you do internal testing only for that?
Unfortunately there will not. The infrastructure just ins't there.

First, yay!

Second, assuming the soundtrack will be on bandcamp and the other usual places (because of course it will), will it be finalized and purchase-able with the act 1 release, or do we need to wait for final?

We're still figuring out details, but the hope is we can sell what we have now and just add the new files when they're done!

I'm with the undecided club as well. Part of me just absolutely cannot wait and am already having a figurative kazoo in my mouth ready to party when the game ships, but part of me wants to go through the whole thing in one sitting.

Either way, gonna marathon the documentary so hard when the time comes!

Guys, I'd recommend playing it. The game will be pretty dang polished and the first Act has a nice stopping point.

Sign in to follow this