Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 17: 12/4/13

Hadn't thought of this. Conflicted! Somehow I also missed the boat on the beta release date. Can someone point me to it?

The Act 1 beta/early access shipping date is the 30th of January next year, seen at 1:52 in Episode 11

Is this the Steam Early Access release date, and is that one and the same as the backer beta release date? I could have sworn they said something about there being a separate, earlier date that backers could get their hands on the game, before it went to the public with Steam Early Access.

If January 30th is the Early Access date, that would mean we could have the game in our hands just after the holidays.... :D

Don't want to share exact dates quite yet in case small changes need to happen, but yes backers will be getting the game a few weeks ahead of selling it. And yes, that will happen in January.

Oooh, cool.

How are you guys going to follow-up on the beta feedback? Is it just the forums or any other system? I'm assuming you are going to have thousands of testers upon you.

A lot of what we'll be able to act on quickly is usability bugs and compatibility stuff. We'll definitely be listening to feedback though and may be tweaking things as we see fit.

Guys, I'd recommend playing it. The game will be pretty dang polished and the first Act has a nice stopping point.

But that's the thing Greg! It stops, but the story doesn't end! Cliffhangers kill me horribly.

Will the Steam backer beta be Windows-only? Or will Mac users supported on the backer beta as well??

Don't forget about us Linux users.

Guys, I'd recommend playing it. The game will be pretty dang polished and the first Act has a nice stopping point.

Mmhm, I think you're probably right. Lookin' forward to it!

Smiles

I was kinda hoping for a christmas Miracle ;-(

But alright. Maybe the three kings wil bring it^^

Hooray, backer beta in January (probably)! Happy birthday to me! I'm so excited to play, it was looking gorgeous at Day of the Devs.

It's just it'd be really cool to have it on Jan 8th as that is my birthday. Just sayin' is all... *wink wink nudge nudge*
Or, you know, *ahem*, the 13th would also be nice... some of us have birthdays then too...
Why would you want it released on your birthday? Then you'll have to decide between delicious cake with party times and sweet sweet adventure gaming action. I'd want it released the day AFTER my birthday, but my birthday's in April, so nope to that!

It's just it'd be really cool to have it on Jan 8th as that is my birthday. Just sayin' is all... *wink wink nudge nudge*
Or, you know, *ahem*, the 13th would also be nice... some of us have birthdays then too...
Why would you want it released on your birthday? Then you'll have to decide between delicious cake with party times and sweet sweet adventure gaming action. I'd want it released the day AFTER my birthday, but my birthday's in April, so nope to that!

Why not have all three? It's my birthday, I can do what I like. xD

Prediction: Act II will come out on your birthday and ruin the day for you.

Will the Steam backer beta be Windows-only? Or will Mac users supported on the backer beta as well??

All three!

All three!

Awesome! Thanks for confirming that, Greg. :-)

So will the Beta receive an update to make it a full release, so we do not have to download the first half twice?

We're still figuring out how this is going to work—it'll basically be up to Steam more than it is up to us, since we have to make the beta access work within their system. Ideally the beta would just be the same Steam depot and it'll get updated when appropriate, same as Early Access games, but there are some special cases for this game that mean we still need to talk it through with them.

Hi DF guys,

Have you considered other than steam, release channels for ACT 1? I do not think that all backers have a steam account, not to mention also that the DRM free perspective gave a great boost to the whole kickstarter project. Recently, Revolution Software, released, their kickstarter funded also, Broken Sword adventure game (the 5th installment on the beloved old school Broken Sword series) using GOG, following a pattern similar to what DF intends to do. The first half of the game was released at the 5th of December, and the second half (note that it is not an episode), which will actually integrate and complete the game will be released in two months, at January 30th of the next year. Backers, where given both GOG and steam keys to use at will, given their preference. Will this be an option for Broken age as well?

Great coincidence, indeed, that two great adventures, both funded through kickstarter, both featuring a semi-similar name (Broken ...) will be released one after another!

Hi DF guys,

Have you considered other than steam, release channels for ACT 1? I do not think that all backers have a steam account, not to mention also that the DRM free perspective gave a great boost to the whole kickstarter project. Recently, Revolution Software, released, their kickstarter funded also, Broken Sword adventure game (the 5th installment on the beloved old school Broken Sword series) using GOG, following a pattern similar to what DF intends to do. The first half of the game was released at the 5th of December, and the second half (note that it is not an episode), which will actually integrate and complete the game will be released in two months, at January 30th of the next year. Backers, where given both GOG and steam keys to use at will, given their preference. Will this be an option for Broken age as well?

Great coincidence, indeed, that two great adventures, both funded through kickstarter, both featuring a semi-similar name (Broken ...) will be released one after another!

The beta access will definitely only be on Steam, as stated in the original Kickstarter. That is a logistical decision for us; we are already supporting three platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux) for the beta, so adding multiple builds across different storefronts for a beta would be a tall order. As for Part 1 general access, we'll have to see--there are several factors playing into that so I can't give a firm answer right now. When the full game is done it will definitely be available DRM-free!

Hi DF guys,

The beta access will definitely only be on Steam, as stated in the original Kickstarter. That is a logistical decision for us; we are already supporting three platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux) for the beta, so adding multiple builds across different storefronts for a beta would be a tall order. As for Part 1 general access, we'll have to see--there are several factors playing into that so I can't give a firm answer right now. When the full game is done it will definitely be available DRM-free!

Thanks, for the answer. Actually, I do not not care about beta. This was clear from the beginning. just for act 1. The whole game, I presume will be released in GOG, it is an old point and click adventure after all! And if haven't considered a GOG release, then please do, there are many backers out there, who have great collections of old games (adventures and other) in GOG, and would like , to have their collections enriched with this gem!

My point here is why should some people wait until the whole game is released (some may indeed prefer to wait though), to play it and not have the chance to play it straight from the beginning?

Thanks anyway for your prompt response.

The beta access will definitely only be on Steam, as stated in the original Kickstarter. [...] As for Part 1 general access, we'll have to see--there are several factors playing into that so I can't give a firm answer right now. When the full game is done it will definitely be available DRM-free!

Chris, you just made me think about this: if we receive a Steam key for Part 1 in January, will we receive a DRM-free version too (e.g. via Humble Store) once the full game is released? Thanks :)

Hi DF guys,

Thanks, for the answer. Actually, I do not not care about beta. This was clear from the beginning. just for act 1. The whole game, I presume will be released in GOG, it is an old point and click adventure after all! And if haven't considered a GOG release, then please do, there are many backers out there, who have great collections of old games (adventures and other) in GOG, and would like , to have their collections enriched with this gem!

My point here is why should some people wait until the whole game is released (some may indeed prefer to wait though), to play it and not have the chance to play it straight from the beginning?

I think again it would come down to logistics. Although they're calling it Act I, what it is really is the Steam Early Access release. It's not being sold separately from Act 2; if someone gets Broken Age on early access, they are getting Act I now and Act 2 in April-May-ish. It's probably realistic to say that the vast majority of the 90k backers are going to play this through Steam, or at least have the capability to. So keeping the early access version to Steam is the thing that makes most sense for them. Especially because the bigger goal of early access is to get people to buy the game who aren't already backers.

Still, we'll see I guess.

Hi DF guys,

Have you considered other than steam, release channels for ACT 1? I do not think that all backers have a steam account, not to mention also that the DRM free perspective gave a great boost to the whole kickstarter project.

Steam doesn't require games to include DRM. I can launch Psychonauts and several of my other Steam games without having Steam running.

Usually when someone says their game is DRM free, they are also implying a standalone installer, so I don't think it would be a good idea to require Steam for the installation of the final release.

Hi DF guys,

Have you considered other than steam, release channels for ACT 1? I do not think that all backers have a steam account, not to mention also that the DRM free perspective gave a great boost to the whole kickstarter project.

Usually when someone says their game is DRM free, they are also implying a standalone installer, so I don't think it would be a good idea to require Steam for the installation of the final release.
Unless something has changed, there will be a version that you can get without a Steam account (or any other account except a DF forum one).

Hi DF guys,

I think again it would come down to logistics. Although they're calling it Act I, what it is really is the Steam Early Access release. It's not being sold separately from Act 2; if someone gets Broken Age on early access, they are getting Act I now and Act 2 in April-May-ish. It's probably realistic to say that the vast majority of the 90k backers are going to play this through Steam, or at least have the capability to. So keeping the early access version to Steam is the thing that makes most sense for them. Especially because the bigger goal of early access is to get people to buy the game who aren't already backers.

Well this is exactly what Revolution did with Broken sword 5. I actually bought the whole game at December 5th. But I actually got to play only part 1, until part 2 is released at January 30th. At January 30th, there will be no part 1 and part 2, but one whole game. Backer's were given GOG or steam keys, depending on their preference, which enabled them to download the existing first half, while in the end of January, they will probably be allowed to download new installer about the whole game. It is exactly what steam does, with the exception, that is not done automatically like in steam, but upon user request!

Hi DF guys,

Well this is exactly what Revolution did with Broken sword 5. I actually bought the whole game at December 5th. But I actually got to play only part 1, until part 2 is released at January 30th. At January 30th, there will be no part 1 and part 2, but one whole game. Backer's were given GOG or steam keys, depending on their preference, which enabled them to download the existing first half, while in the end of January, they will probably be allowed to download new installer about the whole game. It is exactly what steam does, with the exception, that is not done automatically like in steam, but upon user request!

Oh, not saying it's insurmountable, certainly. Actually I'd like them to release it somewhere apart from steam. If the line is now that people should play Part I when it comes out, they should just treat it like a release and get it out on as many platforms as they can (not necessarily same day, but y'know) I think the game will sell better if people realise that it's basically finished up to the end of part I, and not kinda broken like a lot of early access games.

The beta access will definitely only be on Steam, as stated in the original Kickstarter. [...] As for Part 1 general access, we'll have to see--there are several factors playing into that so I can't give a firm answer right now. When the full game is done it will definitely be available DRM-free!

Chris, you just made me think about this: if we receive a Steam key for Part 1 in January, will we receive a DRM-free version too (e.g. via Humble Store) once the full game is released? Thanks :)

Yep! Backers will get both a Steam key for the beta and full game, as well as a DRM-free download when the full game is released.

For those who intend to wait for the final game this is good enough. Keeping the Beta Steam only is kind of okayish too but for those who want to play the final act 1 "now" it also should be available DRM free once it will be ready. This started as a DRM free project, you shouldn't misuse Steam for copy protection reasons, this would feel wrong and be shortsighted.

For those who intend to wait for the final game this is good enough. Keeping the Beta Steam only is kind of okayish too but for those who want to play the final act 1 "now" it also should be available DRM free once it will be ready. This started as a DRM free project, you shouldn't misuse Steam for copy protection reasons, this would feel wrong and shortsighted.

Actually, it started as a Steam project, and DRM free support got added as a bonus - they never said the DRM free version would be available at exactly the same time as the Steam version, and I think that they've been pretty transparent for a while now about the fact that different versions of the game will become available at different times.

I think that unless you are in the very, very small minority of people who refuse to use Steam on principle (and yes - some people are) then there's no reason not to grab the steam version, and then get the DRM free version once that becomes available if you like that sort of thing. After all, we're only talking a few months.

It likely has very little to do with copy protection and much more to do with managing the logistics of releasing a game in 2 parts on Steam v.s. elsewhere (steam already has a good infrastructure to manage upgrades/multi-part releases like this). It might not be as trivial as it sounds, so they probably judged that it would be much less hassle to release the DRM free version here and release it all in one piece for the DRM free versions.

Ideally, yes, it would be available on everything everywhere at the same time, but I don't see that they've been dishonest here.

Nope, this project never would have collected all this money if it would have been a Steam only project. This was and is an important aspect for quite some backers. Changing the release plans, going from one game to two episodes and making the first episode only available on Steam whilst it is a substential part of the whole game, is a violation of (the idea of) this agreement.

And it doesn't matter why some backers don't want to use Steam (DRM, sluggish client, ...). As i wrote, it's okay to keep the Beta Steam only for pushing out updates without a lot of hassle but once it's out of Beta, there is no reason to keep it Steam only. Then it's about being afraid to sell less due to a lack of DRM.

And this again isn't what a reasonable amount of the backers gave their money for (in case you disagree, read through Kickstarter when it all started). Beside of this i would be surprised if there won't be a cracked/distributed version online within a day. It's kind of sad that we have to discuss this at all as it seemed that DF apart from this has learned a lot from the mistakes others were making and by normally making more reasonable decisions on their own but in this case they would do the wrong thing.

A backer who put his faith and money into the project and wants to play the game now without Steam needs to wait or download an alternatively distributed version? Have we progressed this little? I really don't hope so SurplusGamer.

Sign in to follow this