Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Some more early Broken Age casting news!

Is anyone actually able to view these videos with the default player? I've been getting nothing but "Sorry" messages on all the videos for the last few weeks. Which is OK because I can switch to the other player. But just wondering if it does work for anyone?

Works for me!

Works for me too.

Ehh. Now don't get me wrong, I like in-jokes as much as anyone, but I'd still like a serious game too. How, exactly, is the lumberjack going to fit in there? There's a reason most "wouldn't it be cool if..."-ideas aren't done: most times, they suck. I hope they know what they are doing, adding the lumberjack. I have trouble seeing how that will fit.

This also crossed my mind.

Well, Curtis doesn't have any original identity beyond "he's a lumberjack who likes antique furniture and stuff"--it's not as though he has a bunch of catchphrases or gimmicky behavioral tics that were inherent to his character that will be winking at the player all the time. To most people who eventually play the game, he's just some character. To backers, he's a particularly special part of the development of the game, but beyond that he's just a character. I wouldn't worry about it. He's obviously intended to be a funny character, but that's hardly new ground for a Tim game.

[Edit] Deleted my angry post about secrecy to maintain my benign and cherubic image! And also because the circumstances of the leak may have been more complicated that originally thought.

But please, all backers, press or not, know that information on these forums is private. If we all keep it private then we can continue to put privileged information here for all to enjoy. Or at least, all of you who enjoy games and secrets. :)

I hope your post make those journalists leaking at least a little bit shameful. Their leaks don't matter that much to me, since I hang around DFAF almost 24/7, but I can understand how it might feel for the backers relying more on Kickstarter updates to get these kinds of cool news through another source along with everyone else.

I hope your post make those journalists leaking at least a little bit shameful. Their leaks don't matter that much to me, since I hang around DFAF almost 24/7, but I can understand how it might feel for the backers relying more on Kickstarter updates to get these kinds of cool news through another source along with everyone else.
It's not just backers they might have deals with some of those events that the backers can only have that info and it needs to be kept a secret till it's released.

Well, Curtis doesn't have any original identity beyond "he's a lumberjack who likes antique furniture and stuff"--it's not as though he has a bunch of catchphrases or gimmicky behavioral tics that were inherent to his character that will be winking at the player all the time. To most people who eventually play the game, he's just some character. To backers, he's a particularly special part of the development of the game, but beyond that he's just a character. I wouldn't worry about it. He's obviously intended to be a funny character, but that's hardly new ground for a Tim game.

Well, I'll leave it in your capable hands. My fear was that all the time, you said the Hipsterjack wouldn't be in the game (and never planned for him to) -- and now after the plotting and writing was done, he was added, and so he might look out of place, not really fitting with everything done before.

But I have obviously no idea about the game beyond what you've shown us, so I'll take your word for it :)

I feel we, the backers, have learned enough information during this whole thing. I'm happy to get any announcements when the press get them from now on. Anyone else feel the same?

Well, I'll leave it in your capable hands. My fear was that all the time, you said the Hipsterjack wouldn't be in the game (and never planned for him to) -- and now after the plotting and writing was done, he was added, and so he might look out of place, not really fitting with everything done before.

But I have obviously no idea about the game beyond what you've shown us, so I'll take your word for it :)

He was actually visually redesigned to fit in better! I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's not just backers they might have deals with some of those events that the backers can only have that info and it needs to be kept a secret till it's released.

In this case it's a planned public announcement though. I agree with you in the case of backer exclusive announcements.

I love the Playboys sitting on the same rack as the Highlights magazines.

lol i had a chuckle at that as well.

...and "Girls Corpses" !

I like K alot.

W..t...f...?

wtf_doublefine.jpg

Ok, so I was chuckling (like others in this thread) about the juxtaposition of Highlights and Playboy, but now that you've pointed it out...what the HECK is that in the middle back?

Well, Google, thanks for that. But be ye warned before clicking: turns out, at first glance "Girls and Corpses" is EXACTLY what it sounds like.

So I was thinking who is the secret person that did the voice work, whom will be revealed on the 7th. I was thinking: Who is famous and a fan of adventure games? Then it hit me: Elijah Wood.

Elijah Wood's favorite game is Secret of Monkey Island. Mr. Wood even tweeted about Double Fine and their Double Fine Adventure campaign once.

I basically had this exact same thought! I don't have feelings one way or the other towards Elijah Wood. I did enjoy him as Frodo. If he is cast, I think it could lend even more power to the validity of adventure games and kickstarter/abscence of publisher.

W..t...f...?

wtf_doublefine.jpg

Ok, so I was chuckling (like others in this thread) about the juxtaposition of Highlights and Playboy, but now that you've pointed it out...what the HECK is that in the middle back?

Well, Google, thanks for that. But be ye warned before clicking: turns out, at first glance "Girls and Corpses" is EXACTLY what it sounds like.

What in the...

But I'm still afraid I'm missing a joke here. What kind of magazine is "Highlights"?

W..t...f...?

wtf_doublefine.jpg

What in the...

But I'm still afraid I'm missing a joke here. What kind of magazine is "Highlights"?

It's a children's magazine.

Aaah Lumberjack how i hoped he would get to be at least a little easter egg in the final game but a whole character is more than i hoped for .D AWSOME. makes my even happier about the art print i have now.

But.. one question remains.. what's up with all those Playboys in the background? Essential for a relaxed voice or something?

Several playboy magazines...and a highlights mag!

[Edit] Deleted my angry post about secrecy to maintain my benign and cherubic image! And also because the circumstances of the leak may have been more complicated that originally thought.

Either way, I hope there's some accountability somewhere. I was/am a huge proponent for not having backer-exclusive information, but if people can't respect the conditions under which information was made available, then that's pretty unhealthy for everybody.

He was actually visually redesigned to fit in better! I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Personally, I preferred the original look and feel, but it's nice that he's getting some attention :)

By the way, that magazine rack was at a recording studio which is not part of Double Fine's office. Souce

Aren't Polygon and Game Informer technically STEALING!?

That is illegal.

Not stealing, nor illegal. Just being very poor sports. Of course, it may not even be employees of those sites that are leaking the info. It could be some other backer sending in a tip to those sites. In which case, those backers are being very poor sports.

Aren't Polygon and Game Informer technically STEALING!?

That is illegal.

Not stealing, nor illegal. Just being very poor sports. Of course, it may not even be employees of those sites that are leaking the info. It could be some other backer sending in a tip to those sites. In which case, those backers are being very poor sports.

No, it's definitely stealing. Remember these forums are behind a pay-wall.

I would be happy if the secret voice actor was Bill Farmer... then we would have a Sam and Max reunion!

But I'm sure the reveal would likely be who's voicing Shay.

Yes, but whoever carted the information out PAID to get past the wall.

And the information embargo is not a legal policy or an NDA. It's a gentleman's agreement.

DF has the right to attempt to shut down DFA access to the parties responsible, but aside from public shaming there's little other recourse.

Yes, but whoever carted the information out PAID to get past the wall.

And the information embargo is not a legal policy or an NDA. It's a gentleman's agreement.

DF has the right to attempt to shut down DFA access to the parties responsible, but aside from public shaming there's little other recourse.

If I buy a movie and then copy it and give it to you, that is stealing. Same principal.

No, they aren't going to take legal action, I'm just saying...

Just a bunch of cowards, if you guys who are affiliated with these websites are reading this (and I assume you do because you copy-paste content to your website), I challenge you to explain your actions to the backers and hear the community's opinion on this!

(PS, if you come forward I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it's not YOU who leaked it, but your, um, friend)

Sign in to follow this