Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Some more early Broken Age casting news!

Mr. Don Knotts! Only an appearance as incredible and miraculous as his could be the source of such silenced tones and hushed anticipation.

@marcus: Quoted for emphasis. I believe my joke of his resurrection for this role as being both a miracle and incredible was enough of a give-away. ;)

R.I.P. Mr. Knotts. You were a good and funny man to the end.

Haha would be awesome if the secret actor is Dominic Armato. Would be rad.

Quoted for awesomeness. It would be a bit odd in a "more serious" game like this to have such an iconic and recognizable voice for the male lead, but then again, there was Jack Black as the lead in Brutal Legend... though then, that wasn't a serious game.

Quoted for awesomeness. It would be a bit odd in a "more serious" game like this to have such an iconic and recognizable voice for the male lead, but then again, there was Jack Black as the lead in Brutal Legend... though then, that wasn't a serious game.

If Dom was to have a part, I'd expect to see him in more of a smaller role, since (at least in my opinion) his voice is very recognizable, so it'd be a little odd for him to voice a lead role since I always hear Guybrush in his voice even when he's not acting as the character. Perhaps he could be a space pirate. :P

If I buy a movie and then copy it and give it to you, that is stealing.

Well, whether that really constitutes stealing is debatable, since the creators of the movie don't necessarily lose anything (you can't even really say it's a lost sale since that person might never have purchased the movie anyway, or it may even result in them liking it enough to later purchase it. It's illegal for sure, but I find it hard to call it stealing)

This, however is different. This has cost Double Fine control over how and where announcements will be made.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not very big, but I imagine that Game Informer probably won't be getting any "first look" pieces on future Double Fine titles.

Haha would be awesome if the secret actor is Dominic Armato. Would be rad.

What makes you think this game is 'more serious' than Tim's previous endeavors? I think it'll be really funny, with serious undertones. Like Grim.

Hmm, i don't understand why some adventure gamers are against the lumberjack, read some weird comments about him. Considering that Sesame Street like characters made it into the game, the game seems to be loose enough so that he fits into the game just nicely, moreover his house looks comfy. And whilst Wil Wheaton was a pain in the ass in the Star Trek series (which generally was lame), he seems to do a good job as a voice actor. Personally and apart from marketing i don't understand the fuzz about famous voice actors. As long as they are great, i prefer less known voice actors where you don't have to think of other games and movies in the first place.

As for leaking information, i wouldn't bother this much. This started as a quite transparent process (well, it also had a few lows in between), so, why not just continuing this way until it's done?

No, it's definitely stealing. Remember these forums are behind a pay-wall.
Yes, but whoever carted the information out PAID to get past the wall.

And the information embargo is not a legal policy or an NDA. It's a gentleman's agreement.

DF has the right to attempt to shut down DFA access to the parties responsible, but aside from public shaming there's little other recourse.

If I buy a movie and then copy it and give it to you, that is stealing. Same principal.

No, they aren't going to take legal action, I'm just saying...

If you do that it's technically copyright infringement. Companies would like this to be classed as theft because it is similar to theft in some ways (someone is getting something they're supposed to pay the owner for without paying for it) but it's not the same thing, and attempts to class it as the same thing are usually self serving.

(To briefly go into history, historically copyright law was there to protect a creator's work for a short amount of time,but also to ensure that works would be available to the public after time had passed, to encourage creative freedom and progress. Now that has gradually been strengthened to the point that companies are arguably abusing the original spirit of the law for their own ends. This is why I'm against calling it stealing, even though I'm generally against piracy. I think there should be reform of copyright law, but it's very unlikely, especially as more people buy into the 'stealing' idea)

Anyway, as for this situation, there's no theft, just someone giving away information they'd agreed to keep secret. Which isn't very nice?

This is probably good news, because Justin now can sue the hell out of Gameinformer and they won't be needing the Early Access money anymore. ;-)

He should totally do this. :ohh:

But please, all backers, press or not, know that information on these forums is private. If we all keep it private then we can continue to put privileged information here for all to enjoy. Or at least, all of you who enjoy games and secrets. :)

I just signed up at Polygon to b*tch at them for posting this information. But then I realized they referenced the official DoubleFineProd YouTube channel as their source. The video isn't private. It looks like anyone subscribed to your channel would have seen this.

Edit: The article that Game Informer posted definitely includes information from this update though.

But please, all backers, press or not, know that information on these forums is private. If we all keep it private then we can continue to put privileged information here for all to enjoy. Or at least, all of you who enjoy games and secrets. :)

I just signed up at Polygon to b*tch at them for posting this information. But then I realized they referenced the official DoubleFineProd YouTube channel as their source. The video isn't private. It looks like anyone subscribed to your channel would have seen this.

Edit: The article that Game Informer posted definitely includes information from this update though.

Tim was referencing the fact that Game Informer published an article about the news before it was supposed to go live for the public.

so please do keep this news quiet until it’s officially announced on Friday. You know the drill. So far we haven’t had any leaks with these early casting announcements, which is awesome!

Game Informer leaked the news on Thursday.

Also, I noticed they've changed the date on the article. The first comment was made at 8:08PM on December 5, but the article's published date is changed to December 6, at 6:00PM.

Just leaking the news wasn't enough, now they're trying to cover their tracks. How very disappointing.

Gotta guess who the secret voice actor is. Going from the assumption that it's going to be Shay, and that it's going to be someone famous or nerd-famous enough for it to be a secret. I could be wrong on either count but narrowing it down makes it more interesting to guess. If they're playing Shay they'll have to be somewhat youthful, probably male, and enough of an actual voice actor that it's plausible that they'd come in for the hours and hours of recording for a main character.

Somebody suggested Dominic Armato. He's a bit old but he could probably do it.

What about Jeremy Shada (Finn from Adventure Time)?

What about David Gallagher (Riku in the English dub of Kingdom Hearts)?

What about Johnny Yong Bosch (Vash from Trigun, main character in Persona 4)?

I don't know, I'm sort of drawing a blank as far as recognizable people who do voice work that would fit in the sort of middle-young voice range that would match Shay's visual design.

Tim was referencing the fact that Game Informer published an article about the news before it was supposed to go live for the public.

I saw Polygon mentioned but I guess it was only Game Informer? Sad that they lack any journalistic integrity. It also shows that they care more about reporting first than they do about the game community. They would selfishly rather ruin it for everyone.

Also, I noticed they've changed the date on the article.

Might have something to do with the "[update]" in the article title? Maybe the date updates when they edit? Or maybe they're just shameless as well as scummy.

I wonder if Matt Helgeson is on the backer list and can simply be removed?

I'm gonna stray from the theory that it's the voice of Shay and work on an alternative theory I learned from Wil Wheaton's show Tabletop, which is that Wil Wheaton is an actor and could be acting AT ANY MOMENT, and he therefore can never be trusted.

Remember how he was all like, "Who was here recording? Why won't you tell me? I really wish that I could know who was here."

DON'T FALL FOR HIS TRICKS.

Secret voice actor is Patrick Stewart.

The video was unlisted at the time.

Perhaps it's Jeremy Shada, voice of Finn from Adventure time. He's about the right age for Shay. Would be kinda weird hearing that voice, but he's very good.

That's my guess if I gotta guess. But who knows?

So I was thinking who is the secret person that did the voice work, whom will be revealed on the 7th. I was thinking: Who is famous and a fan of adventure games? Then it hit me: Elijah Wood.

Elijah Wood's favorite game is Secret of Monkey Island. Mr. Wood even tweeted about Double Fine and their Double Fine Adventure campaign once.

Good call... that would total sense if he's cast as Shay and would actually be worthy of saving it for VGX to announce. I could totally hear him playing the character.

The types of people watching this show aren't going to care about some random cameo role, nor someone most people haven't heard of. It's clearly someone more famous than Wil Wheaton at the moment (or else the announcements would be flipped).

So I was thinking who is the secret person that did the voice work, whom will be revealed on the 7th. I was thinking: Who is famous and a fan of adventure games? Then it hit me: Elijah Wood.

Elijah Wood's favorite game is Secret of Monkey Island. Mr. Wood even tweeted about Double Fine and their Double Fine Adventure campaign once.

Good call... that would total sense if he's cast as Shay and would actually be worthy of saving it for VGX to announce. I could totally hear him playing the character.

The types of people watching this show aren't going to care about some random cameo role, nor someone most people haven't heard of. It's clearly someone more famous than Wil Wheaton at the moment (or else the announcements would be flipped).

Wait, does that mean the game will now be in 3 parts?

Edit: I was thinking of Neil Patrick Harris given this, but at the moment it's a guessing game (and not a very good one)

Yeah the host totally spilled the news already. So it is Elijah Wood. Rather would have heard the news from the actually broken age bit not as a side remark from the host though.

Well they kind of blew that early.

I guess TrueStoryGuy gets a cookie for correctly predicting that it was Elijah Wood.

Uhhhh but i didn't think he would be shay! that is really awsome :D actually a big role

Uhhhh but i didn't think he would be shay! that is really awsome :D actually a big role

Indeed! That should give some more exposure to BA!!! ^_^

and i was very amused how they had to blur out all the playboys and the girls and corpses in the background for the broadcast. xD

and i was very amused how they had to blur out all the playboys and the girls and corpses in the background for the broadcast. xD

I smiled at that too. Although the blur was not really effective as you could still read the titles if you were fast enough.

The VGX show just said that it may or may not be a hobbit.

So bummed that it wasn't Ian Holm.

Sign in to follow this