Sign in to follow this  
Bad Asp

Petition to Double Fine

I ask this request of you, from the bottom of my heart...

...please purchase the Sam and Max license from Telltale Games. I don't think that company cares about them anymore.

I mean, look at their current lineup... Game of Thrones? Borderlands? Some other random overrated franchise turned into an interactive movie with no puzzles whatsoever and the choices lead to the same outcome? Not a single Sam and Max season on their current agenda! Our poor freelance policemen will likely be buried by distractions...

They are better off in your hands, Telltale. Once Broken Age is released, make Sam and Max your highest priority. The world will thank you for it.

Current signatures:

1. Bad Asp

There is no way Double Fine would ever purchase Sam & Max from Telltale Games.

The first and most obvious reason:

Telltale games does not own Sam & Max.

But does Telltale know that?

Pretty sure they do know they don't own sam and max. That isn't a hard thing to remember.

Pretty sure they do know they don't own sam and max. That isn't a hard thing to remember.

I dunno, sometimes I forget that I don't own Sam and Max.

I was told that I owned Sam & Max. We need to get to the bottom of this!

But seriously, Steve Purcell owns Sam & Max, and that's the way it should stay. There's nothing stopping him from letting a different developer make a Sam & Max game, but if/when that happens is completely up to him.

if df were to work on an existing ip it should be psychonauts

Or Brütal Legend. Tim has stated he has no preference.

Though don't all you old-timeys not like BL much? Or was that just the wave of new members that came with that game?

Though don't all you old-timeys not like BL much? Or was that just the wave of new members that came with that game?

I liked BL, but I liked Psychonauts a lot better. And no offense to BL, because I did enjoy it and have played it to completion multiple times, but.... Psychonauts was WAY more fully realized.

BL was great, but you could kinda tell that they didn't get to flesh it out as much as they would have liked? (Especially considering that the entire single player was something they originally were not even expecting to do.) In comparison, Psychonauts feels a lot more deliberate and like it clearly had the luxury of more revise/refine time.

I liked BL, but I liked Psychonauts a lot better. And no offense to BL, because I did enjoy it and have it played it to completion multiple times, but.... Psychonauts was WAY more fully realized.

BL was great, but you could kinda tell that they didn't get to flesh it out as much as they would have liked? (Especially considering that the entire single player was something they originally were not even expecting to do.) In comparison, Psychonauts feels a lot more deliberate and like it clearly had the luxury of more revise/refine time.

Yes I think BL is one of those games which just NEEDS a sequel in order to finish the story. It was clearly designed that way.

Yes, Psychonauts takes the cake though.

yeah the third act of bl felt extremely rushed. also i still think it would have been better with more action/adventure and less rts stuff. still a good game though.

I liked BL, but I liked Psychonauts a lot better. And no offense to BL, because I did enjoy it and have it played it to completion multiple times, but.... Psychonauts was WAY more fully realized.

Yes I think BL is one of those games which just NEEDS a sequel in order to finish the story. It was clearly designed that way.

Yes, Psychonauts takes the cake though.

Well I don't just mean in terms of story, and I'm not talking about the ending or anything like that. I am fine with the way that BL ended. I think that is the perfect end to that story and that Tim nailed it. He could do a sequel if he wanted, but if he never did, that would be fine, because he wrote it just fine. The only problem with the writing was how it went from paper to being in the game. The broad arc of the Lionwhyte/Deviculus problem and its resolution is necessarily a long one that lasts the entire game and feels just the right length, because its development and resolution are coupled with the player's progress toward completion. So that arc fits nicely. It practically must. But then---as a point of comparison---you look at a game like Psychonauts where Tim cared a lot about getting the adventure game elements he likes in there, and really writing a lot about the characters, giving them distinct personalities, having them run around and do things and develop tiny little sub-arcs that are happening completely outside of the protagonist's story or his problems (edit: well, they were loosely tied, which is what made them still interesting. Elders Scrolls does the completely irrelevant story thing, and it sucks compared to Tim's style). There's an entire quarry there full of character details, bonus dialogue, and implied happenings that you can just dig and dig and dig, gaining more appreciation for the story/setting all the time, and still have more character/substory left. But BL didn't really have that so much...

BL and Psychonauts have a vaguely similar structure in that you spend the entire adventure flip-flopping back and forth between a level/mission (e.g. going inside a mind, doing a mission or battle) and then returning to a mostly safe and action-less hub (e.g. whispering rock, bladehenge). These hubs are a moment of reprieve from the action proper, and are valuable part of a lot of action games. Even Valve very consciously employs this trick with the classic Half-Life games. But with Half-Life or Psychonauts, those safe moments of reprieve are also their own kind of activity. They're like a cool down routine after the exercise.

BL, though.... you kinda just have action or talking to characters who stand in one place and never really do anything. I would bet good money that if Tim had been given the freedom to work the characters/writing in that game a lot longer, those supporting roles would have been a lot more fleshed out and interesting, and the the developments in the main characters would have happened in a similar way, but had a somewhat more sloped, less rushed pacing.

But that's just story. I'm talking about the WHOLE GAME.

--More unique, non-tutorial missions (cf. bat family)

--But also more tutorial missions (98% of the missions in BL were tutorials, but it was still not enough tutorials)

--More unique side missions and mini-games (be honest: you noticed how monotone they were)

--More unique bosses (cf. spider queen)

--Giving Kyle his own model/rig instead of just awkwardly sticking his head on a bouncer

--More populated locations outside of just your camp (cf. the beach party)

--More missions that developed minor/supporting characters like Mangus, Lita, Rima, The Baron, The Hunter, etc

--And if he wanted to make it SUPER amazing: more BUDDY MISSIONS. I'm thinking of how your first experience in the game is running a combat-based mission involving ONLY Eddie and Ophelia, which put a lot of emphasis on their unique team up. That was awesome! Imagine similarly structured "buddy mission" segments involving just Eddie and Lita? It would have been great if Eddie had had the opportunity to talk with Lita one-on-one more before the Ophelia incident. Or imagine going on a buddy mission with just you and LEMMY F***ING KILMISTER. I got a semi just thinking about it.

There were a lot of things that could have fleshed that game out more and made it feel a lot more alive. There are a lot of things that game could have done to help warm people up to the hybrid action/RTS battle system. It was clearly one of the hardest things for people to swallow.

INTERESTING FACT: I found that the people who were most likely to be confused and upset about BL's action/RTS battle system were core gamers. Other people I know who played BL that aren't what you'd call core did not struggle with it and a few of them even said it was one of the best and most interesting games they've played in a long time. One guy even told me it was the only game he finished since Conker's Bad Fur Day, and THAT'S a f****ing compliment. My theory is that core gamers are likely trapped by their knowledge of genre tropes (which informs their expectations and the way they formulate winning strategies), and they don't even necessarily realize it.

Once Broken Age is released, make Sam and Max your highest priority.

Only to disappoint you by employing "wrong" voice actors?

Once Broken Age is released, make Sam and Max your highest priority.

Only to disappoint you by employing "wrong" voice actors?

Since Double Fine uses KBA Studios for its voice casting, I doubt THAT will happen! :P

I really hate comparing Psychonauts to Brütal Legend, they're pretty much opposites. And when I play a full-length game from a studio the size of double-fine I really just appreciate it for what it does well instead of nit-picking and trying to figure out why it's not a complete game. A sequel to either would be enough to get me to buy a current-generation console which is saying a lot because I'm not even considering one right now.

This is easy:

Psychonauts mostly was a very good game.

Brütal Legend wasn't.

Sam & Max would be good if it wouldn't be like TTG's Sam & Max (it should be funny, naughty, only in a non episodic format and no more boring characters/dialogues/riddles please).

DLC for The Cave is missing, badly!