Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Elijah Wood as Shay in Broken Age

If you caught the VGX on Spike, you saw our final big piece of casting news: the illustrious Elijah Wood has joined the cast as male protagonist Shay! He's a genuine lifelong adventure game fan and his voice work for the game has been fantastic. He actually got involved with the project through a Twitter conversation he had with Tim way back when the game was being Kickstarted--seems like a lot of cool Double Fine opportunities come out of Tim's Twitter conversations.

If you missed it, check out the new trailer and reveal here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/u2e4fw/broken-age-vgx-2013--world-premiere-featurette

You can also watch the live gameplay demos Tim gave:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/k0okdu/broken-age-vgx-2013--tim-schafer-interview

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/q1ord9/broken-age-vgx-2013--live-gameplay-demo

It's really crazy to think that Part 1 will be out so soon—finally being at the point where we have final voicework and can show the game off to a wide audience is a big milestone. Good times!

(Congrats to backer TrueStoryGuy for totally calling this a few days ago: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/11260/P50/#309520)

Every time I see more gameplay snippets I get excited.

Thanks for share!

Game looks gorgeous and casting voice cannot be better!!

I'm super happy with the Elijah Wood announcement. It was just a coincidence that he ended up involved through a twitter conversation, but even if Tim had all of Hollywood at his disposal, Elijah still would have been a great choice for this.

It's frustrating to see some of the reactions to the announcement, though. It's pretty clear to the backers who have been watching this whole time that there is a lot of good will being heaped on this project, and that includes the VO to an extent. It's unfortunate that some people (probably non-backers) are interpreting the high-profile VO as DF blowing money on expensive VO when it wasn't necessary.

But I'm sure if DF showed that they weren't blowing any extra money on VO than they would have otherwise, a completely different set of people would be upset about THAT information (i.e. people who would have had to pay in full for the same VO cast).

Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other, I suppose.

To end on a positive note, I love that we've got a good mix of high-profile VO and newbies. With every new famous name added to the cast, the newbies' resumes are looking sweeter and sweeter.

Was happy with the new game footage but meh vgx was pretty terrible , no audience to cheer for the reveals terrible jokes, wish double fine would have done this reveal at a better event were more live people were present

I remember meeting Elijah Wood at E3 a few year ago. He was there as a simple visitor and was extra nice when my girlfriend asked if she could take a picture with him.

I'm pretty sure that, as a genuine fan, he didn't ask that much money and that it will completely be worth it. He will be awesome in the game!

What I liked the most about old-school adventure games was the amazing graphics (for their time), the humor and the really good VOs. I'm really glad to see that the graphics in this one look amazing, and the voiceovers are of very high quality. Before I was mostly curious about the game, now I really want to play it :)

I'm super happy with the Elijah Wood announcement. It was just a coincidence that he ended up involved through a twitter conversation, but even if Tim had all of Hollywood at his disposal, Elijah still would have been a great choice for this.

It's frustrating to see some of the reactions to the announcement, though. It's pretty clear to the backers who have been watching this whole time that there is a lot of good will being heaped on this project, and that includes the VO to an extent. It's unfortunate that some people (probably non-backers) are interpreting the high-profile VO as DF blowing money on expensive VO when it wasn't necessary.

But I'm sure if DF showed that they weren't blowing any extra money on VO than they would have otherwise, a completely different set of people would be upset about THAT information (i.e. people who would have had to pay in full for the same VO cast).

Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other, I suppose.

To end on a positive note, I love that we've got a good mix of high-profile VO and newbies. With every new famous name added to the cast, the newbies' resumes are looking sweeter and sweeter.

There will always be people looking for something to complain about, particularly if it involves a Kickstarter project. Like you said, if there were few to no recognizable names, there'd likely be complaints (possibly from the same group of people) that DF is skimping out on the voice cast.

I'm happy he is involved, it has turned out to be quite the cast and I look forward to seeing & hearing BA soon enough.

I am very curious though what the final cost for the voice artists was, its hard to imagine that Elijah Wood, Jack Black and Will Wheaton come cheaply even if they are doing it for the love of DF/TS/adventure games.

VGx was awful ... well more accurately the supposedly "funny" co-host (whoever he was) was dreadful and horribly unfunny. I switched off after Tim was finished.

Yeah, Elijah Wood has a Bacon number of 1, so the rest of the cast will be automatically bumped up to 2. :-)

Can we see these without the stupid VGX nonsense all over them, please?

I'd actually like to, I don't know, SEE the footage, and HEAR Shay's voice! :'O

Thanks!

( Great choice, by the way. )

It more and more turns into a Tarantino version of a video game.

Hopefully this will push the sales (and most importantly that the game will be GREAT).

It should be the Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown of video games, not the Planet Terror/Inglorious Bastards.

The game looks so well, i am certain you will earn all the extra money you invested back and a handfull of big names on the voice cast will help even more.

Yeah, the VGX were pretty terrible, but Broken Age was of many highlights for me (Telltale! More from Quantum Break! No Man's Sky blew everyone's mind!). The cast for DFA just keeps getting better and better. <3

My God Elijah Wood is a good cast. Wonderful voice. Seriously good job, guys :D

I love too. But I'm surprised Tim didn't punch Joel McHale. I mean, he said "Once Tim fixes the game, it's going to be great".

I love too. But I'm surprised Tim didn't punch Joel McHale. I mean, he said "Once Tim fixes the game, it's going to be great".

Well, at one time Tim might have made his head explode, but now he wears this special hat. Wanna try it on?

Am I dreaming?

That's wonderful news.

Edit: @ "When you tire of child's play, come see me".

Full on chills to the point I thought the right side of my body was having a stroke.

Wow, you guys really managed to get some great talent for the game.

Boy, do you deliver. This turns slowly into a playable Pixar Movie!

Everything looks fantastic. I love how it transformes in front of us.

First sketches, then colours, than lighting, than vxf.

I am really missing that in the Documentary though, the "how the sausage gets made".

I love the colors, everything looks so warm and approachable. There is an instant emotional connection.

How do they do that? Is it instinct?" Yeah, it looked kinda cool"

or are they heated debates in the DF Kitchen about color and shapes?

Same goes for charakter development. Hoy do you paint a charakter=? Is it a instant Idea? Or a well thought through plan?

I hope we get less of the superficial stuff and more depth to the documentary. The Talk at GDC was almost more informative then the documentary before.

The voice cast is so great!Everything seems perfekt. Exept...

I`m kinda sad that they didn't find an awesome female counterpart for shay. I found vellas voice solid but in no way interesting and relatable.

It's probably to soon to be dissapointed, but I'm missing the "girl power" there. And than with a big name like Elijah Wood on one side, and

and an unknown actor on the other side, ...it feels uneven.

The whole game has shifted heavily towards the boys world. Thats how it's feels right now.

Impressive. Most impressive.

Joel McHale was awful. I watched the whole preceding hour, his jokes were bad and it was so weird how he chose to play the trash talking a-hole.

As for the casting of Shay... Looking back at the past couple episodes I find it interesting that Tim and Khris couldn't find young actors to play Shay and Vella and ended up hiring adults. Casting children for lead roles must be pretty difficult. I'm happy that Tim found actors he likes.

I love this mix of stars, pro voice actors, industry cameos and newcomers. And the demo looks so good! I got a lot from the documentary and features on this forum, but it's pretty clear that the game itself will shine above all.

A little late but, his voice is a perfect fit for shay. When he begins acting in the trailer.. Wow, just wow.

I just wish that there was a vimeo/youtube version of the footage and trailer shown on the VGX.

Sign in to follow this