Sign in to follow this  
bar10dr

So... the whole VGX thing

So I've been following the talk of the internet after VGX, and I think... Double Fine actually managed to pull this off like a pro.

Broken Age was received not just good, many, many people are saying it was the highlight of VGX.

Citing the story, fantastic art and professional voice acting as the reason they finally paid any attention to it. There's a ton of people who's comments on a slew of different sites are saying they never heard of the game, or they heard about it but forgot, but that they are now very excited to purchase it.

Great work Schafer and crew, it takes a very special game to get todays gamers interested in an adventure game, and I think you actually pulled it off!

I would not be surprised if there was an influx of slacker backers. Although, it's probably more correct to call it pre-orders at this point.

I must say, at first I was a little annoyed and dismayed at Joel Mchale being a jerk the entire time during the interview before I watched a few other segments and realized he clearly knew he was on a sinking ship. His remarks during the entire night were the off-script trolling that come from a man who realizes he's wasting his time on something that is unequivocally an embarrassment.

Oddly enough, this really seemed to help Broken Age stand out in a positive light. The short piece with Wood filmed by the 2PP crew was more professional and more entertaining than the majority of VGX.

I wasn't sure why Double Fine chose to be involved in the VGAs/VGX since it's been a decade-long embarrassment to all gamers (and all award shows), but this thread brings up a fantastic reason for being a part of the show. As terrible as the show is, lots and lots of people will tune into it even if they're only interested in upcoming games. That's a great time to show off Broken Age to some gamers who might not have heard of it yet. It's too big of an opportunity to pass up!

I wasn't sure why Double Fine chose to be involved in the VGAs/VGX since it's been a decade-long embarrassment to all gamers (and all award shows), but this thread brings up a fantastic reason for being a part of the show. As terrible as the show is, lots and lots of people will tune into it even if they're only interested in upcoming games. That's a great time to show off Broken Age to some gamers who might not have heard of it yet. It's too big of an opportunity to pass up!

I don't think there was really any other options aside from the VGX. Part one launches soon, they needed to show it off to the public and build up some excitement, and I think the VGX was the pretty much the only big gaming-related event happening around now.

And to be fair, they WERE trying to improve the show this year. They listened to the feedback that doing 80% awards and 20% E3-esque pressers was kinda weird, so they flipped it around to 80% E3 and 20% awards show. That actually could really work, providing a good platform for late year releases since all the big press events are early-year.

The problem was that they wrapped it in typical Spike TV immature boy demographic pandering. Hell, Mega64 even made FUN of that in the middle of the show, using the exact same ridiculous techniques to point out how stupid it was. It was like irony inception.

While Broken Age came off smelling like roses here, I should note it did NOT to the audience Spike was catering to. I was in Twitch chat at the time it aired and you would not believe the amount of hatred and LOL THIS IS GAY that was going on in there.

While Broken Age came off smelling like roses here, I should note it did NOT to the audience Spike was catering to. I was in Twitch chat at the time it aired and you would not believe the amount of hatred and LOL THIS IS GAY that was going on in there.

Eh, the chatter around the internet based on the VGX footage has been generally really positive. Twitch chat isn't necessarily the best place to gauge. The only real negative stuff I've seen is from the usual boring 'so that's where the money went' types.

VGX might have been okay, if they had just dropped Joel Mchale. He was awful, and his jokes were horribly unfunny. Once BA segment was over I gave up, I couldn't stand listening to him.

The format was otherwise okay.

I agree Joel was terrible in VGX... The idea of a show with lots of announcements and interviewing the game developers after was a great idea... and the massive numbers who watched says there is an appetite for it. So Spike next time stick with Geoff... drop the concert and the dodgy sketches and you might have something.

I agree Joel was terrible in VGX... The idea of a show with lots of announcements and interviewing the game developers after was a great idea... and the massive numbers who watched says there is an appetite for it. So Spike next time stick with Geoff... drop the concert and the dodgy sketches and you might have something.

Yeah that Joel Mchale guy was an @$$hole, it was like watching David Brent hosting the VGX. It was funny to see Geoff and Tim try to ignore him and carry on a decent interview.

It's also a shame seeing a lot of 'so that's where the money went' comments, when they announced Elijah Wood. The guy is a gamer and a backer, he's clearly not interested in a paycheck. I think it's great that he's doing it good on you :-)

Sign in to follow this