• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
mundanename

HacknSlashAnnounce

The full message (lots of hints here):

most of the time we only see the things that we expect to

often secrets are in plain sight but remain invisible to us

size up the medium you are observing and you may find it supports modes of expression you do not expect

images can contain words

words can produce images

something that appears to be a recording of life may actually be a container filled with the sequences of images and channels of audio that you expect but that container can hold

The message ends abruptly here...

I expect there's something in the audio of that video, too.

The full message (lots of hints here):

most of the time we only see the things that we expect to

often secrets are in plain sight but remain invisible to us

size up the medium you are observing and you may find it supports modes of expression you do not expect

images can contain words

words can produce images

something that appears to be a recording of life may actually be a container filled with the sequences of images and channels of audio that you expect but that container can hold

The message ends abruptly here...

I suspect we have a picture in picture and picture in word situation where either a frame in the video, main website picture, the text in the main picture or something else has hidden images shrunken onto the picture. I'll start looking and let you guys know if i find anything.

Felt pretty dumb when I realized that the main image on the Hack 'n' Slash page says "the five boxing wizards jump quickly", common phrase used in font applications to show all the letters of the alphabet. Durp.

Has anyone done a spectograph of the outdoors.mp4 audio yet? That's probably not just white noise.

My buddy thinks it's encrypted data. He says to extract the audio data you can do: ffmpeg -i Outdoors.mp4 payload.aac

Felt pretty dumb when I realized that the main image on the Hack 'n' Slash page says "the five boxing wizards jump quickly", common phrase used in font applications to show all the letters of the alphabet. Durp.

Ha. Well that settles it then. Examining audio seems the way to go.

Regarding the border.png file:

The noise in the border extends to the alpha channel. I still think it's highly suspicious but yes, it may be a red herring.

But now I need some sleep. Badly. :D

My buddy thinks it's encrypted data. He says to extract the audio data you can do: ffmpeg -i Outdoors.mp4 payload.aac

I saw whether any images might have cleverly been encoded in the spectograph of the audio, didn't come up with anything though.

Actually it seems to say "the five boxing wizards jcmp qciukly" (the c and u glyphs are switched) I think. Accidental?

I saw whether any images might have cleverly been encoded in the spectograph of the audio, didn't come up with anything though.

Did you try looking at it as if it was a magic eye? It would follow if they tried to do the stereo thing there as well, given the message.

So now that we know all that is there anything left to the audio data that we can extract?

By the way, the genre of the theme tune is "aes-256-cbc"

Mean anything to anyone?

Also, under comments: passwords read like incantations when spoken in all capital letters

Did you try looking at it as if it was a magic eye? It would follow if they tried to do the stereo thing there as well, given the message.

Pretty sure this isn't it, it's nowhere near organised enough to give any pattern like that. Good idea though!

I've tried inverting one channel to see if that cancelled out the non-noise sounds, but with no luck.

Actually it seems to say "the five boxing wizards jcmp qciukly" (the c and u glyphs are switched) I think. Accidental?

Ah, you're right. I just translated the first few words and assumed the rest. Seems unlikely they would make a mistake like that on accident, but I'm not sure what to deduce from it, either.

Mean anything to anyone?

Also, under comments: passwords read like incantations when spoken in all capital letters

That's the encryption method, once we find the password AND the encrypted dataset (which I believe is the one in the announcement) you can run the dataset through openssl using the encryption method aes-256-cbc and with the password you'll get the actual content.

AES is Advanced Encryption Standard 256 is the key it's the cb part that I'm unsure on. Also I've had a thought has anyone gone back through the AFN videos to see if the music links to anything from the prototype?

Mean anything to anyone?

That's the encryption method, once we find the password AND the encrypted dataset (which I believe is the one in the announcement) you can run the dataset through openssl using the encryption method aes-256-cbc and with the password you'll get the actual content.

Oh, thanks. I'm not sure how to do that, but sounds good. I like ciphers, but I'm sorta old school, get a bit lost when it comes to modern ciphers.

Mean anything to anyone?

Would the encrypted dataset be the audio for the video?

Mean anything to anyone?

I guess it could be the theme tune MP3, too, since the 'genre' of the theme tune is aes-256-cbc

Mean anything to anyone?

I guess it's that or the application data below in the announcement.

Hot off the presses from my friend:

"open up Outdoors.mp4 in a hex editor

search for "Salted"

delete everything before that

save it

then run this on it:

openssl aes-256-cbc -d -in outdoors.bin -out payload.bin

the password is MOST

and it will decrypt, but I'm pretty sure the dataset is wrong

like there's extra stuff in there

but that is the dataset entry point because it will decrypt"

CBC stands for "Cipher-Block Chaining". I don't know much about encryption, but the cbc has to do with how it's encrypted.

http://nixtricks.wordpress.com/tag/aes-256-cbc/

Cipher Block Chaining (CBC) works by splitting the message up into blocks before encrypting and then processing each block sequentially, with the output of each step feeding into the input of the next iteration. In the case of CBC it XORs the ciphered text from the previous block with the plaintext of the current block before encrypting, using an initialisation vector on the first step. This handy diagram from the Wikipedia page on CBC should help:

601px-CBC_encryption.svg.png

So we can reverse that process by using a decryption algorithm that looks like this:

601px-CBC_decryption.svg.png

I posted about the aes thing here, but since then I think it's a different method.

Using this doumentation and this explanation I think we can crack it from the 2 random keys (client:xIl3HWupPdsvwY94XV3UHtW04aE/wT4X8p7FmdSxW5w= server:Up2+Rmzxa4CFywMpfAMCBn7wJHaiBnwEGslWPq4QaTQ=), the pre-master key (AwKV0UmxkA/iXZ4Y4NDn0P1Ju/m6GNL10FR7PuJae/83Ghy3Eo+6qDiJwQsNzjyB) and the certificate verification key (Tcz7sewhNdF70Xmd).

I might be very wrong though since I'm quite tired, but see what people can do.

Mean anything to anyone?

Oh, thanks. I'm not sure how to do that, but sounds good. I like ciphers, but I'm sorta old school, get a bit lost when it comes to modern ciphers.

If you have a mac or a linux in the command line

openssl aes-256-cbc-d -in encrypted_file -out decrypted_file

Mean anything to anyone?

The encrypted section of the press release is AES 256 CBC, so I assume it's that

Hot off the presses from my friend:

"open up Outdoors.mp4 in a hex editor

search for "Salted"

delete everything before that

save it

then run this on it:

openssl aes-256-cbc -d -in outdoors.bin -out payload.bin

the password is MOST

and it will decrypt, but I'm pretty sure the dataset is wrong

like there's extra stuff in there

but that is the dataset entry point because it will decrypt"

Trying that on my computer (OS X 10.9) after removing everything preceding 'Salted' in HexFiend, I get "wrong final block length"